Swans
Children of God

by ~Liles, Hugh USER (20 Reviews)
March 30th, 2013 | 36 replies

Release Date: 1987 | Tracklist

Review Summary: All roads lead to home.

1987's Children of God is perhaps the most brilliant album in Swans' rock solid discography, and that's really saying something. If there's one thing that has been both a blessing and a curse for Swans, it's that they've never really developed an identity. Although early works such as Filth and Cop sound quite similar, for the most part each entry in their long, venerable discography stands alone and completely distinct from the rest of their work. Children of God is the point where the dissonance between their earlier and later work collides and meshes together into one cohesive whole; it's a masterwork of an album containing moments that could be easily described as "masculinity distilled," as well as vulnerable, emotional moments that would be the last thing to expect from Swans. And despite the variety in sound and thematic ideals between each track, it all manages to come together.

"New Mind" starts off the album perfectly, and immediately you can see a change from the no-wave industrial sounds of the previous albums - although the crushing brutality is still there, an injection of melody has been applied and rip-roaring gang vocals soar in the background. It's a perfect song that's wholly Swans. The second track, "In My Garden," is a complete switch in gears and unlike anything they had done up to that point. Showing off Jarboe at her best and moving beyond the rudimentary trappings of melody found in Greed and Holy Money, it's pure beauty in musical form.

The rest of Children of God elegantly switches to the two extremes of the first two tracks and everywhere in between without missing a beat. White Light From the Mouth of Infinity, The Great Annihilator, and even The Seer all have their roots here. At the same time, the heavier tracks here would not feel out of place on Cop, Greed, or Holy Money. This is Swans, and all those other places, as beautiful as they may be, all point to here. If you still haven't bothered to listen to a Swans album before, start here.

Weezer Everything Will Be Alright in the EndDemon Hunter Extremist

whoa

Digging: Jacaszek - Treny

demigod!
March 30th 2013

guess i'll bother listening to a Swans album and start here. good review pos.

Digging: Weezer - Everything Will Be Alright in the End

Chortles

yes please

Lakes.
March 30th 2013

i'm going to rewrite my age of adz review next and the first line will be "sufjan stevens is an attractive man"

demigod!
March 30th 2013

he is as attractive as he is talented

VanSchuldiner

Pos'd ....awesome album prob 2nd swans

jtswope

love this album!

FearThyEvil
March 30th 2013

If I wanted to get into this band where should I start?

Aids
March 30th 2013

When given the option of clicking two links under your review, one saying "Yes" and the other saying "No," I decided that, indeed, the review WAS well-written, and therefore, I moved my cursor over the "Yes" link and applied some light pressure on my mouse with my index finger, at which point, I was directed to a page informing me that my vote had, indeed, been counted.

Digging: RATKING - So It Goes

VanSchuldiner
March 30th 2013

If I wanted to get into this band where should I start?

Soundtracks to the blind or this one

Adash
March 30th 2013

This is a fuckin' monument and testament and monolith and behemoth and general badman extraordinaire of an album. Start here

gotta hear this

Digging: Impetuous Ritual - Unholy Congregation of Hypocritical Ambivalence

fromtheinside
March 30th 2013

aids put a lot of effort into that comment guys, acknowledge him.

Digging: Devin Townsend Project - Z2

fromtheinside
March 30th 2013

@fti, you're right. aids, nice comment.

Crawl

Digging: Kayo Dot - Coffins on Io

KILL THE CHILD!

THIS IS MY DAMNATION!

1955 Comments

Yeah I think best place to start is either My father will guide me up a rope to the sky (an incisive synthesis of many of their influences and an excellent album) or The Great Anihilator (very diverse and most accessible, also one of my favorite albums by them)

Triple post (oops)

"Heard only their debut and The Seer, but I liked the latter much more. Is this more like Filth or more like The Seer?"

Closer to filth but this was their turning point album so it's still pretty different