Azarath
Blasphemers' Maledictions

by B R A N D O N S C O T T USER (103 Reviews)
March 29th, 2013 | 24 replies

Review Summary: Rise up almighty Tiamat! Let the floods kill with hate! The fire of destruction shall burn all life! The time of revenge is at hand!

Being a fan of Azarath ever since their release of Diabolic Impious Evil (another fantastic album), I could tell Blasphemer’s Maledictions would be a more mature album just by looking at the album art. Instead of the crude, black and white Satanic imagery that dressed all their previous albums, Blasphemer’s Malediction beautifully intricate artwork implies growth, a promise that the album definitely fulfills.

Where the band’s previous albums were chaotic but well composed slices of brutal death metal, Blasphemer’s Maledictions displays a more thoughtful and atmospheric approach to the band’s usually unrelenting extreme metal mayhem. This is due in no small part to new vocalist/guitarist Necrosodom, who despite what his name may suggest, has drastically opened up the group’s sound allowing for slight deviations that make this record the band’s strongest effort to date. Opening song “Supreme Reign of Tiamat” is the perfect example of this – the track burns with the band’s usual intensity and thanks to well-placed and minor melodic inclusions, it’s irresistibly memorable. It’s a more restrained approach but it works perfectly for what the band has become.

The rest of the album follows suit; instrumentally brilliant, there is still plenty of headbang inducing riffery (“Behold The Satan’s Sword”, “Deathstorms Raid the Earth”, etc…) along with plenty instances of their new found maturity. “The Abjection” features not only a breathtaking atmospheric break, but sees the band slowing down the pace a bit, relying more on dynamic songwriting than the outright and blinding brutality all their previous records were centered upon. Necrosodom's vocals which range from rasps to guttural bursts also help in this department, offering more diversity than they have ever showed before. Overall, Blasphemer’s Maledictions is an extreme metal fan’s wet dream and I highly recommend picking it up if you haven’t already done so.

Cara Neir The OverwatchCarved Cross Demo III
Black Beasts IIDoth Datura Wrightii
Cara Neir Sublimation TherapyAsphyx The Rack
Liam Mikael Davies (4)
A hellishly brutal contribution to Blackened Death Metal with an epic, crushing sound; if demons ros...

March 29th 2013

Really short review, because why not? Also yay 100 reviews. Also originally posted at http://mediasnobs.com/music-review/qq-azarath-blasphemers-maledictions/

Digging: Wreodan Heahl - Laecig

Hawks

Rules.

yes, yes it does

19798 Comments

whoah man gratz on 100 reviews!!

review was short and sweet (and well-written obviously). pos'd.

Digging: Yellowcard - Lift a Sail

HOLY MONSTER JIZZ

POS'D

record is solid bro and I've grown to appreciate this band quite a bit. Yeah they're instense but they do it the right way with no strings attached.

"Blasphemer’s Maledictions displays a more thoughtful and atmospheric approach to the band’s usually unrelenting extreme metal mayhem. "

^this

'Blasphemer’s Maledictions is an extreme metal fan’s wet dream '

^and this, hard

Great write up bro.

Digging: Blut Aus Nord - Memoria Vetusta III ? Saturnian Poetry

March 29th 2013

thanks guys :] i love and appreciate you both

19798 Comments

you know it! I'll definitely check this out cause you have good taste and it sounds cool

March 29th 2013

Yeah dude, do it! Let me know what you think. The album is really balanced and everything about it is great really.

love u 2 pras m/

19798 Comments

found the full album stream on youtube. So far it kicks ass lots of nice riffs and solos and the vocals rule

March 29th 2013

Glad you're enjoying it man! Yeah I must say, the vocals are probably my favorite part of this album. The guy has such good range

19798 Comments

I haven't heard a ton of black metal but yeah there's just something about the vocals on this one.

got any other black metal recs? I don't know much other than the basics like darkthrone, bathory, immortal, etc.

March 29th 2013

Depends, what are you looking for? You want more stuff similar to this (blackened dm?) or more straightforward stuff?

Wizard

19448 Comments

Congrats on 100 dude, I'll make it there in about 10 years hahahaha. Not really a fan of this album, may have to go back and re-explore this.

Digging: Godflesh - A World Lit Only By Fire

thanks buddy

19798 Comments

Listened again last night and this rules. Also just saw your comment and I'm not picky lol. Just Rec me anything with black metal influence u think is essential ;)

March 30th 2013

Okay well for some more stuff in this vein, I recommend checking out

Weapon - From The Devil's Tomb
Sacramentary Abolishment - River of Corticone
Axis of Advance - Strike

All blackened dm that have a little bit of melody

19798 Comments

Cool thanks bro I'll add them to my list of bands to check out!

no problem, enjoyy