Camel
I Can See Your House from Here

by Shachar Sagui USER (26 Reviews)
March 29th, 2013 | 13 replies

Release Date: 1979 | Tracklist

Review Summary: Like a lot of other 70's Prog Rock bands, Camel go poppier. With that they release another decent and fun record that, unfortunately, will never be able to compete with the greatness of the first four.

Camel were one of the greatest symphonic prog rock groups of the 70's, with the likes of Yes and Rush. They released four amazing albums from '73 to '76, including the masterpiece Mirage. If you have not checked all of the aforementioned albums, don’t waste your time with this review and check them out instead. Come back only when you're finished.

Camel, like many other Prog Rock bands, became worse as the years went by. Rain Dances was a step down after the fantastic Moonmadness, and deviated from the band's original sound. Breathless was another step-down, but was still decent. When original keyboardist Peter Bardens left, the band seemed a little lost. Fortunately, Camel delivers yet another good album.

While the '78 Breathless had some god-awful tracks like Down on the Farm and You Make Me Smile, I Can See Your House from Here had none, making the album much easier to listen to as a whole. The album preserved some of the poppier sound the previous album had, with tracks like Your Love Is Stranger than Mine and Neon Magic, which were executed perfectly. Most of the album's greatness revolves around the great Latimer leads, like in Neon Magic and Who We Are.

Every song on the album is nice, and while engaging in a more poppy sound, Camel still maintain Prog elements such as odd time signatures. The album contains three instrumentals, seeing as vocals were never the strongest side of Camel anyway. Two of them, Ice and Eye of the Storm, are beautiful, and Ice is probably the greatest track in the record. Rounding up at over ten minutes, Ice is an emotional, atmospheric piece telling the story of a distant desolate landscape. While being far from their greatest, it sounds like no track Camel have done before, and showcases a style Camel would much use on their latter albums. Survival, on the other hand, is a boring unnecessary track, which can only be seen as filler. Luckily, the track following it, Hymn to Her, is one of the greatest on the record; a beautiful ballad with some nice guitar work.

In contrast to the former album, Remote Romance is the only track which can be considered 'average' or 'bad', but it's still pretty fun, and the chorus is catchy. I Can See Your House from Here is a great record, filled with great moments. Unfortunately, it does drag a little in the middle, but the excellent guitar work from Latimer and the catchiness make up for it. This album is recommended for fans of the first four albums. It may not be a classic like the first four records the band have released, but it is still enjoyable in its own right.

I Can See Your House From Here was released in October 29, 1979. The record label is Gama and it is 46:04 minutes long.

Recommended Tracks:
- Ice
- Hymn To Her
- Eye Of The Storm

Personnel:
Andrew Latimer – guitars, flute, autoharp on "Who We Are", backing vocals, lead vocals on "Who We Are", "Hymn to Her" and "Neon Magic"
Colin Bass – bass, backing vocals, lead vocals on "Wait" and "Your Love Is Stranger Than Mine"
Kit Watkins – Hammond C3 organ, Solina synthesizer, Yamaha electric grand piano, Rhodes piano, Moog synthesizer, Minimoog, Clavinet, Prophet-5, Yamaha CS80, EMS Sequencer, flute
Jan Schelhaas – Yamaha CS80, Yamaha electric grand piano, grand piano, Prophet-5, Moog synthesizer, Minimoog, EMS Sequencer
Andy Ward – drums, percussion

Death Individual Thought PatternsAccept Metal Heart
3.1
good
Killerhit (3)
There can be no doubt, luck has dealt me out....

This is genuinely enjoyable. =D

Titan
March 29th 2013

never heard this but will be checking it out, excellent review Viper....especially the format

pos'd

March 29th 2013

thanks man, you should check it for Ice alone.

Nagrarok
March 29th 2013

Very nice you covered this one, still haven't heard it myself. Such effort can't go unrewarded, so have a pos. Couple of things though, if I may:

Symphonic Prog Rock

There's no need for capitals when naming genres.

They released four of the most amazing albums during '73 to '76, including the undeniable masterpiece Mirage.

This is too subjective. Purely regarding the sentence, I would make it into something like:

They released four of the greatest albums in the genre from '73 to '76, including their masterpiece Mirage.

I get the point you're trying to make here, but it is better made in the comment section.

Rain Dances was a step-down

*step down

Now, with the leaving of the original keyboardist Peter Bardens, the band seemed as if lost.

*When original keyboardist Peter Bardens left, the band seemed a little lost.

The album is filled with three instrumentals

*The album contains three instrumentals

Sure, it's not a classic, but that doesn’t mean it should be discarded.

Too 'talkative'. I'd change it to: 'It may not be a classic, but is still enjoyable in its own right.'

I Can See Your House From Here was released in October 29,1979. The record label is Gama and it is 46:04 minutes long.

You should remove this altogether. The same goes for the producer at the end of the text. A personnel list is fine; I mention band members and their respective instruments in my own reviews, but there's no need to go into so much detail as you do here (e.g. mentioning every different kind of synthesizer that was used, listing specific tracks).

If I'm correct English is not your first language, and for that you're making a great effort. I do hope my pointers will be of some help.

March 29th 2013

nicely written review. Nag brought out most of my thoughts, so besides that here's one minor fix:

'Most of the album greatness revolves'

*'album' [album's]

pos'd

Digging: Kangding Ray - Solens Arc

March 29th 2013

thanks nagarock and cap'n. like youve said, english isnt my main language, which lead to the grammar mistakes. other mistakes are probably just because im a huge fanboy.

tbh, i would rather keep the ending section. back when i didnt have a sputnik account, i used to read reviewes and wished they would have information like the length, production and personnel all the time. i know it may sound crazy but i was genuinely interested in it, so i decided to add it when i started reviewing.
plus, people seem to dig the format actually, even though its unnecessary.

OmairSh
March 29th 2013

Andy should flute more often

Digging: Leprous - Coal

SgtPepper
March 29th 2013

Excellent work, Viper, as always man. So POS'd.

I agree, I dont really care for this album myself, aside from a few tracks. After Rain Dances (which had some cool synth-heavy jazzy songs like "Unevensong" and "Skylines") I found it really hard to get into the late 70s/80s Camel, but there's some gems to be found in that era as well.

Anyway, great work.

YoYoMancuso
March 29th 2013

i can see Russia from my house

nah but good review

Jethro42
March 29th 2013

Good job on the review, Viper. I might bump up the album one day. Havent heard this one for ages. Agreed with your rec tracks.

Moople
June 22nd 2013

rip dethtrasher

Parallels
October 21st 2013

This is seriously trying to tread on ELO's territory

smaugman
August 13th 2014

Don't understand the bad ratings, this is truly an great album