Fear Factory
Digimortal

by TheDepravedPelican USER (9 Reviews)
March 28th, 2013 | 16 replies

Release Date: 2001 | Tracklist

Review Summary: Sub-par for Fear Factory and Average for Nu-Metal; Digimortal proved incontestably that Fear Factory was covering songs written by themselves for once.

In 2001, Fear Factory was starting to show some obvious signs of internal decay. Whether it be the physical altercation between vocalist Burton C. Bell and Dino Cazares, or a struggle of power from within their system; Digimortal certainly didn't solve the problem - it removed it entirely by dismantling the band (albeit the "alleged" internal disputes & personal desires that "really" caused the band's first breakup).

Digimortal was, and remains to this day, a complete mess that simply proved quite incontestably that Fear Factory wasn't covering Gary Numan or Head of David again - they were covering themselves. From track one up until track eleven, Fear Factory, for the most part, completely removed their unique sound and created an album paradox. Digimortal is Fear Factory, playing songs Fear Factory wrote, as if they were a Nu-Metal band playing Fear Factory songs with Burton C. Bell playing vocalist as if he was held at gunpoint. Within this mess of a sound, Fear Factory manages to break through with a few solid releases. Linchpin, Invisible Wounds (Dark Bodies), and (Memory Imprints) Never End, mark the very few points of the album where Fear Factory actually came to the studio and recorded some songs to be featured on their Nu-Metal cover band's album entitled Digimortal.

No Digimortal review, however, can be without saying that Burton C. Bell cry-throatily screaming "One Step" at the beginning of the title track Digimortal is quite mortifying. Duly noted that this is not in the same way Zero Signal's verses from the album Demanufacture surely mortified the brains of several Amish farmers as someone sped by their horse and buggy with it blaring on maximum volume at 7 AM in the back-wash of Pennsylvania (definitely not at the hands of this reviewer). Meanwhile, Linchpin is one of the catchiest tunes that Fear Factory has ever released, although easily being manipulated by the pull of the rest of the album, comes off as rather experimentally rudimentary - transitioning well, but confusingly switching from crowd chant-along verses with little backdrop to overly powerful melodic chorus' - something that shines brightly during live performances.

In the grand scheme of music, Digimortal is an average release. Hardcore Fear Factory fans will enjoy various songs on this album, as they suit all sorts of different ears, and even this review must admit that Back The F*** Up, while a poor collaboration, has an eye opening kick-in for the chorus. For anyone looking to purchase a Fear Factory album, pass up on this one. Find the songs on Youtube, and buy what you like from Amazon MP3 / iTunes for $0.99 per song.

Mudvayne L.D. 50Fear Factory Soul of a New Machine
Negativa NegativaRaayl Colorless
Finntroll BlodsveptPestilence Mallevs Maleficarvm
3.1
good
Jeremy Bentham (3.5)
While Digimortal isn’t entirely average, there are some points on here that hint at the obvious de...

Horace (3)

thumbcrusher
March 28th 2013

probably their weakest, feels like it was made for/by roadrunner rather than fear factory

Digging: Godflesh - A World Lit Only by Fire

March 28th 2013

dark bodies is a rly solid generic metal song but other than that yea this isnt so good, damaged goes kinda hard though

the bonus tracks are prob better than anything on the record

Digging: Throwing Muses - Throwing Muses

March 28th 2013

hey good rev pos'd agreed

there are a few songs worth listening to

March 28th 2013

Get rid of that first sentence and you'll have a good review on your hands.

Digging: Molly Drake - Molly Drake

4 god damn

March 28th 2013

first sentence is great imo

I mean this:

"With Digimortal Fear Factory showed... No, Fear Factory tried... Well, you see they were just... Wait, where was Fear Factory?"

It's really just useless. The first sentence of your first paragraph makes for a much better introduction.

renegadestrings
March 28th 2013

yeah don't lose the first the first sentence.

good review. still haven't listened to this, but i kinda want to now purely out of curiosity

lostforwords
March 28th 2013

Good review as far as the argumentation goes.
But I have to disagree with the rating.
This album is a bit shallow indeed, but it is very enjoyable.Very direct record and quite a heavy one as well, I know Demanufacture is better, but no track in this actually disappointed me.
To each his own I guess and I definately won't neg this otherwise good review

March 28th 2013

You certainty don't appear to be at a loss for words about this review lostforwords.

lostforwords
March 28th 2013

Lol, well I hope I' m not being too harsh, I just feel this record is very underrated

thumbcrusher
March 28th 2013

that was far too witty breaking

Wizard

19641 Comments

Get rid of that first sentence and you'll have a good review on your hands.

As a contributor, you should know better than letting your fanboy inhabitions get in the way of your criticism. It fits the context of the review and Fear Factory during this time period. I like this album quite a bit but I know it sucks compared to the rest of their discog. I mean, back the fuck up dude hahahahaha.

Archetype might be an album considered average by many, but in my opinion, it's one of the best whole albums I've ever heard.

Finally, someone agrees with me it's a consistently great album.

Digging: Ash Borer - Cold of Ages

March 29th 2013

damn I'll have to listen to that again, I only remember it being about is good as this.

PortalofPerfection
March 29th 2013

My favorite fear factory album. That's right.

DirtyDan
March 31st 2013

I pretty much agree with the entire review. But some songs were good enough to bump this to a 3 for me.