CHVRCHES
Recover

by fish CONTRIBUTOR (43 Reviews)
March 26th, 2013 | 97 replies

Release Date: 03/25/2013 | Tracklist

Review Summary: Catchy, fun and warm, Recover makes up for its brevity with a bounty of huge hooks and energetic instrumentation

Recover’s layers of tightly produced electronics and immensely catchy choruses are hard not to fall in love with, clustered full of bright synthesisers and punchy beats but managing to remain cohesive and solid. With hooks as powerful as these, CHVRCHES have no need to resort to just beefing up the volume, and they sure now how to craft some seriously catchy hooks - almost too many to pack into an EP as short as this without them all trying to burst out at once. “Recover” boasts the largest of the album, with sparkling synthesisers underneath igniting its spacey/night-time vibe. “ZVVL” is a little softer and a little darker, with Martin Doherty’s vocals taking the helm and Lauren Mayberry’s flickering in the background as the track slowly builds up before dropping into a gentle beat-driven segment. And “Now Is Not The Time” features Doherty and Mayberry’s vocals intertwining in the song’s feel-good chorus.

It's CHVRCHES’ ability to combine catchy melodies (which is pretty much every single one on the EP), delicate instrumentation and tightly coiled production which makes Recover such an enjoyable and refreshing listen. Lauren Mayberry’s vocals are adorable but powerful, with the slight tweak of her Glaswegian accent bringing the final endearing touch to the band’s music, and both Mayberry and Doherty’s vocals are brushed with subtle vocoders, adding to the glistening neon vibe without compromising the heart-felt nature of the music. With only just over 10 minutes of completely original music (and another two (unnecessary) remixes to add to the band’s collection), Recover is a little bit of a tease, but CHVRCHES have enough goodness overflowing from these three slices of electro-pop perfection to show loud and clear what they are capable of for the future. Until then, Recover should be more than enough.

JMSN †Pllajë†Say Lou Lou Better In The Dark
Sky Ferreira Night Time, My TimeM.I.A. Matangi
The Weeknd Kiss LandNK Nothing To Be Gained Here
ellexim (3.5)
If CHVRCHES were a food, they'd be a salted-caramel cupcake with Pop Rocks as the sprinkles on top. ...

Stream: http://pitchfork.com/advance/51-recover-ep/

Digging: Freddie Gibbs and Madlib - Pinata

that V

Digging: Fleurety - Min Tid Skal Komme

CaptainHadouken

1960 Comments

damn this will be the third stream for today. Well i will have a lot to listen too tonight, which is awesome. Its about time to
take a powernap though.

Edit: Oh and good review btw.

March 26th 2013

dammit captain did you hear what i said

CaptainHadouken

1960 Comments

Kinda sorta. not really though.

robertsona
March 26th 2013

it's not on this but "the mother we share" imo is a genuinely fantastic single. a lot of people called it "purity ring-lite" or whatever but i think it's better than a lot of stuff in a similar ilk. perfect production + vocals + melodies, not overbearing like purity ring (which is still good). will read this soon

22014 Comments

I'm finding positive reviews hard to write. Need to get back into the habit

Omaha
March 26th 2013

Actually enjoying music is tough business, man, we gotta get you back into that =]

Typhoner
March 26th 2013

I really liked "The Mother We Share", so I guess I'll check this out.

But... no tracklist?

Digging: Token Records - Aphelion

Omaha
March 26th 2013

There is no music on this album, sry!

RadicalEd
March 26th 2013

Won't listen because cover and name are so hipster. Good review though.

Digging: Jakob - Sines

Typhoner
March 26th 2013

"There is no music on this album, sry!"

But it's a 4 anyway

22014 Comments

Name is just so that they're easier to look up.

RadicalEd
March 26th 2013

I'm just kidding. I'm listening to stream right now.

InfamousGrouse

damn an AF review that scores above 3.0 what is this sorcery

TWO 4/5 REVIEWS IN A ROW

TWO 4/5 REVIEWS IN A ROW!!!!!!!

r u all blinde

AtomicWaste

2007 Comments

Judging by track names and album title, this must be the most kvlt thing ever.

Digging: Thank You Scientist - Maps of Non-Existent Places

March 26th 2013

faith is finally shinning thru

22014 Comments

I hear they burn cathedrals down up there in Scotland