Messiah
Rotten Perish

by BlackLlama USER (40 Reviews)
March 22nd, 2013 | 28 replies

Release Date: 1992 | Tracklist

Review Summary: Messiah's Rotten Perish is a testament to the creativity and obscurity of the 90's death metal scene. An excellent mixture of beauty and brutality.

The relevance of death metal in the 90's is a hard topic to grasp today. The major players in the genre consisted of many US bands that are still enjoyed (read : worshipped) today. Death, Morbid Angel and Deicide among others are names often associated with the "popular" opinion of the genre. Taking nothing away from those bands, one simply needs to scratch the surface of the era to discover excellent releases by relatively obscure bands. Digging even deeper than that we find the 92 release from Messiah - Rotten Parish.

A 4 piece band out of Switzerland Messiah started releasing music in the early 80's. Fans of black and thrash metal should seek out these releases. Possessed of excellent technical skills, if not laughably bad songwriting they were an above-average genre band for the time period. In the 90's the band took a decidedly more traditional death metal approach with their release Choir of Horrors (also highly recommended). In 1992 they released their concept album Rotten Perish. The first track is laden with ambiance and a spoken word introduction to the album delivered by what sounds like a 10 or 11 year old child. After this initial burst of "what the hell did I get myself into?" the album spawns forth some epic, brutal 90's technical death-thrash.

The first 6 songs blend the oppressiveness of death metal (the bass is a standout on this one, really nicely done) and the precision of thrash seamlessly. The vocals are... fitting. Not so much of a singing style but approaching spoken word (think Necrophagia mixed with Obituary). The track "Dreams of Eschaton" marks a change in this release. Musically it takes a turn from classic death and thrash to incorporate some groove elements. It is a noticeable difference, and fits in with the theme of the concept. Still, it is a marked enough change to keep the album from becoming stagnant.

Rotten Perish is a gem of the obscure 90's metal scene, and way ahead of its time.

Overkill White Devil ArmoryBobby Jimmy and the Critters Ugly Knuckle Butt
Razor Malicious IntentSteel Panther All You Can Eat
We Are The In Crowd Weird KidsBiohazard Urban Discipline
4.3

Gonna start digging out some of my old 90's stuff to review :D

20158 Comments

"Death, Morbid Angle and Deicide among others are names oft associated with the "popular" opinion of the genre"

Angel not Angle :P also names OFTEN associated with the popular opinion of the genre. good review though man this looks cool i think i'll check this out. pos

Digging: Johann Sebastian Bach - Brandenburg Concerto No. 5 in D major, BWV 1050

m/ hard, pos'd

"Angel not Angle"

Total spell check fail hahaha

20158 Comments

it happens lol. I use microsoft word spellcheck AND proofread but I still find mistakes in my reviews

oltnabrick

thats my fav from Messiah

JamieTwort
March 22nd 2013

Choirs of Horrors and Hymn to Abramelin rule, haven't heard this one, might check it out.

Digging: Foxes in Fiction - Ontario Gothic

you should review Choir of Horrors.

I was torn, as I think both have merits. Choir if more of a straight forward DM release. I was going to do an Altar review next, then maybe I'll hit that one up.

blacktheripper
March 26th 2013

amazing album

SylentEcho
May 16th 2013

Always wanted to review this. Never got a chance to. Messiah are one of the best Death Metal acts of the late 80's/early 90's. Love the acoustic parts on this one too.

It's rare when each song on an album is this good.

January 24th 2014

i should try this

January 26th 2014

Yeah, this is at least worth a YouTube listen to the entire cd. I have rips of the original if you want it though...

JamieTwort
January 26th 2014

Hymn to Abramelin and Choir of Horrors are great, should probably check this one.

January 26th 2014

I love rips so i will definitely ask you for it. Not now, though, on holidays miles away frommy PC

January 26th 2014

No problem. Collected metal on CD, tape and vinyl for almost 20 years before converting to audio. I have over 2tb's of nothing less than FLAC and 320 direct cd rips. Mostly focused on death metal, thrash and 80s/90s glam and sleaze.

January 27th 2014

Damn thats great, i also collect only 320 rips or flacs but only got about 50G, thats not much but...

So much metal

Anthracks
August 15th 2014

this album slays my dick off

Digging: The Decemberists - What A Terrible World, What A Beautiful World