Billy Idol
Rebel Yell

good

by CaptainHadouken USER (22 Reviews)
March 18th, 2013 | 9 replies | 2,096 views

Release Date: 1984 | Tracklist

Review Summary: Rebel yell almost feels separate from Rebel yell.

In the Midnight hour!, She cried more more more; With Rebel Yell!, She Cried more more more. Who can forget the lyrics of Billy idol's smash hit. It had always been such a fun and energetic song. With the previous success of White wedding Pt. 1 Things seemed to be going pretty well. Rebel Yell dropped and became a smash hit in the early 80's. The real question to all of this is, outside the infamous title track, does Rebel Yell Stack up as an album? Well yes, and at the same time, no.

The title track itself is the biggest problem in the album. Not because of the title track itself, but due to the fact that it feels somewhat separate from the rest of the album. Rebel yell is the opening track, and it is an energetic starter. However, when the album goes into Daytime drama, the energy slows down and drains away. The rest of the album goes together outside of Rebel Yell as the starting track. It sounds like a fun 80's pop-rock album. In a way, almost too fun. Rebel Yell leans towards being slightly generic in terms of sounding like something fresh and different. Considering the time period, pop was running rampant. The album does have enough rock influence to make the sound feel less generic than other acts at the time.

The structure would be very consistent if Rebel Yell was the last track of the album. Considering how the record goes from being a little slow and pop-ish (Eyes without a face, Flesh for fantasy) and builds momentum into the rock-influenced songs (Catch my fall, Crank call, (Do not) Stand in the shadows). From Daytime Drama to Stand in the Shadows sounds how the album should flow, It builds up hype. The only misplaced songs are the first and last track. The Dead next Door is a very mellow song, however it doesn't really fit after building up from the previous two tracks. Rebel yell should end the album, while The Dead next Door should be in the mid-album area at best.

Getting through the structure, the album itself sounds fun; if you try not to compare it to the title track itself. As said before, the songs start pop-ish and gradually build up to a more rock-like sound, The rock side starts to come out more towards the end of Flesh for fantasy. The guitarist for Billy Idol does some pretty nice work during the later tracks. That work is the main factor towards the album building hype. As for the vocals, Billy Idol has a great voice, though he doesn't seem to utilize his full potential. He is very passive on a majority of the tracks. The passion heard in Rebel Yell is hardly consistent throughout the album. Though in honestly this is why once again, Rebel Yell Outdid most of the album.

Billy Idol made an album pretty separate from the title track itself. The music is good, but once again the structure and lack of passion on Billy's vocals have made Rebel Yell a lot less than it could have been. It is still a good album. Maybe a great one to some. To close with , just move a few tracks around and see how the album sounds then. The potential is there, and Rebel Yell as whole is good 80's fun at its best. Maybe not great, but good fun.

recommended tracks

-Rebel Yell
-Eyes without a face
-(Do not) Stand in the shadows
-Flesh for Fantasy

Mercyful Fate In the ShadowsCzarface Czarface
Frank Sinatra Come Fly With MeSiouxsie and the Banshees Tinderbox
Siouxsie and the Banshees JujuMorbid Angel Illud Divinum Insanus - The Remixes
GrayMatterSWE (4.5)
"Rebel Yell" is an album that superbly stands the test of time. The songs are strong and classic, b...

Mad.
March 18th 2013

Rebel Yell was great back in the day. Not that I was alive in the 80s.

Digging: Anubis - Hitchhiking to Byzantium

1960 Comments

I was around in the 80s granted very young, but around, billy idol was lots of fun when i first heard it. Still pretty fun nowadays.

19654 Comments

A 3 get the fuck outta here! Nah seriously thanks for reviewing this man.

1960 Comments

Haha its all good, i was leaning on a 3 or 3.5. The album structure and the title track outdoing most of the album kinda spoiled a lot of things when i thought about it.

Kaleid
March 18th 2013

Nice to see this reviewed. I think your rating's probably about right; you can't in all seriousness look any deeper for something profound, but it's good fun.

I really like '(Do not) Stand in the Shadows'

1960 Comments

So do I. Its one of the best tracks on the album i think. I didn't even knowing how to rate this without taking it slightly seriously.

19654 Comments

I guess a 3.5 might be more accurate but god I love the title track

1960 Comments

the title track is amazing. It was hard to go between a 3 or a 3.5, if i could give a dead on rating i'd go with like 3.3, or 3.25 something like that.

PowerBlitz
April 21st 2014

I got this for a dollar at record and tape trader on vinyl and its taking me a good while to get through it.
Rebel Yell is great on its own but definitely stands out as a whole,guess I gotta give it a couple more listens.