Data Romance
Other

by Nathan Taft USER (18 Reviews)
March 18th, 2013 | 8 replies | 884 views

Release Date: 02/19/2013 | Tracklist

Review Summary: The xx, if the xx bumped

If you’ve listened to The xx and enjoyed their sound, then chances are you will like Data Romance. The two bands are extremely similar in a multitude of ways. Both bands are heavily influenced by electronic music, have a female vocalist, and employ minimalist elements in their music. Essentially, if you like The xx, you will enjoy Data Romance’s debut album.

Formed in 2009 by instrumentalist/producer Ajay Bhattacharyya and singer Amy Kirkpatrick, Data Romance is an electro indie band hailing from Vancouver. The band covers a wide range of sounds in their music, transitioning from minimalist electro-indie tunes to aggressive electronic tracks with relative ease.

“Cargo” is a perfect example of the former, with a simple backing beat and occasional string instrumentation being the only sounds complimenting Kirkpatrick’s soft vocal performance as she tries to bring a loved one back from the brink. And on the other side of the spectrum there’s the upbeat “She’s Been High.” Taking almost than a full minute and a half on a simplistic intro, the track begins to kick into high gear around one minute and forty seconds with a progressively bellicose beat. A beat that eventually transforms the song into an electro-dub induced banger where Kirkpatrick’s vocals grow increasingly disturbed to match the mood of the song.

Overall the production of the album is extraordinarily solid - track five, “Something to Me” has an actual heartbeat in its rhythm if you listen carefully enough - but the album suffers from a lack of diversity. Because the majority of the instrumentation on the album is electronic it becomes hard to tell one song from another. The result of this is that the tracks tend to blend together into one indiscernible electro indie mess. But as far as messes go though, this isn’t a particularly bad one to get lost in.

3.7/5

The xx xx
Postal Service Give Up

humblerodent
March 18th 2013

I know it's kind of short, but I haven't had a lot of time to write with finals and all. I was pretty happy with how the final
product came out though, very to the point. It's incredible to me how much they overlap with The xx
Any constructive feedback? (good and/or bad)

Digging: Nickel Creek - A Dotted Line

Hopelust
April 8th 2013

Didn't realize these guys were canadian. I previewed some of the songs on iTunes and it sounds pretty decent. Your review is pretty good, but you shouldnt sell it short by telling people to stop reading and start listening. I came here wanting to know what the album's all about, even if I have listened to The XX. Also, the sentence where you tell the reader to do so is missing a number of words.

"Essentially, if you like The xx, (YOU) should stop reading this review right now (AND) go check out Data Romance’s debut album."

Aids
May 3rd 2013

fucking brilliant summary, so perfect

I know these guys personally, his other band is called Pod of Orcas and it's so fucking funny

Digging: Trophy Scars - Holy Vacants

May 6th 2013

this rules

May 6th 2013

something to me is god tier

humblerodent
May 12th 2013

Good notes Hopelust, I must have missed that.
Thanks Aids!

Hopelust
May 12th 2013

This album is fantastic. fan-freakin-tastic.

May 13th 2013