Mortillery
Origin of Extinction

by Robert Garland CONTRIBUTOR (197 Reviews)
March 18th, 2013 | 14 replies

Release Date: 02/22/2013 | Tracklist

Review Summary: Let's get your thrash on, shall we?

Most remember what the thrash genre gave to the metal community. From the obvious mention of the “Big Four” to the less known but equally important acts, it’s a genre that stays. Thrash has left its mark whenever possible, remaining relevant even with a re-hashing of ideas. Even revivalist bands manage to build off the bigger, pioneering acts. That’s where Canada’s Mortillery comes in, mixing solid thrash aesthetics with hints at melody, combined with a decent display of technicality, Mortillery’s 2013 Origin Of Extinction is an incredibly solid listen but does nothing to shift from an already established sound. That’s perfectly fine, Mortillery have done what they need to, in creating a quality record filled with head banging madness whilst at the same time not falling face first into recycled mediocrity. Needless to say, Mortillery’s brand of death metal may be far from the unique, but at this point it’s almost safe to say that traditionalists have stopped looking. What Origin Of Extinction presents is an album that harkens back to the early days of thrash, wrapped up in a modern production that suits a record released in 2013.

The overall feel for Origin Of Extinction comes in a fast paced, furious, in your face and no frills album. The tempo remains largely the same throughout the record, varying little over the length of the record. Impressively however, the vocals are a display of lyrical aerobatics, especially in comparison to the band’s debut record, Murder Death Kill. This time around, they are better in execution, hitting all the notes they need to. From the middle to high pitch screamed sections to the almost falsetto cleans that ring throughout the listeners’ ears making the album as a whole a memorable listen, often using hooks to draw interest in before the extremely consistent instrumental work takes hold. Face melting, tasteful solos are a common appearance on Origin Of Extinction. They aren’t as full on as say, a shredding Slayer-esque solo fest rather they are restrained with a focus on melody tying in with the melodic nature of tracks but, that doesn’t mean the melodic licks are going to fit right in on a ballad album. It’s important that Mortillery keep things squarely within the thrash stereotypes. These sections, adjacent to that of those well-presented vocal passages tie the album together in an almost breath-taking way. This album isn’t perfect by any means, brought down by a done-to-death style, these excellent features just don’t have the same effect of those pioneering bands that did this sort of thing twenty-plus years ago.

Origin Of Extinction is a fast paced, high quality record, stumbling only where sections begin to recycle ideas or conform too much to the traditional thrash genre. Mortillery have crafted a steady, consistent record paying tribute to the thrash titans of old and currant. The band may not be one of the best known acts of the genre, but they do maintain their own certain calibre as far as recreating a genre without changing a thing. Worthy of a few repeat listens but coming too far from pushing the boundaries of innovation, Mortillery’s Origin Of Extinction is aleast great for pulling on the nostalgic heart-strings. Given the chance the band’s 2013 record highlights just how one genre had such an impact on metal as a whole. Revitalised by a modern sounding production and solid strong writing this album should, at least give those missing the ‘vintage’ thrash sound something to prevent the proverbial withdrawals. Canada’s thrash scene can still do the genre proud.

In Flames Siren CharmsMastodon Once More 'Round the Sun
Mayhem Esoteric WarfareArchitects Lost Forever // Lost Together
Kauan PirutMiserable Failure Hope
2.8
good

Get ur 2013 on guys : ]

tempest--
March 18th 2013

Oh, this is thrash? Alright, I'll check it out then.

Jacquibim

Will check

Digging: Brian Eno - Ambient 4: On Land

tempest--
March 18th 2013

"...with a focus on melody tying in with the melodic nature of tracks but, that doesn’t mean the melodic licks are going to fit right in..."

This is the only sentence that caught me. I would recommend using a different word other than melody, but what do I know, I'M NOT CONTRIB. ;-]

March 18th 2013

Yeah, I lost how I wanted to preent that. I meant the tracks were rather melodic in the first place, but there is another emphasis on 'actually' being melodic. i'll revise and re word later.

Winrar
March 18th 2013

Not a huge fan of modern thrash but i'll check this out it

March 18th 2013

It's kinda weird seeing none of the albums with votes.

BigPleb
March 18th 2013

Man your reviews are good, would pos but can't

Well you sold it well, and its thrash so yea will be checkin

BlackLlama
March 18th 2013

I had this on a list of possible reviews (right next to Lost Society). Been listening to this for about a week off and on.

Nothing ground breaking, but it does have some older NWOBHM style to parts of it. The female vocals also add a different feel to everything as well. Great review as always, I had this personally at a 2.5/3

I envision a 1.0 from Kill......

TheSpirit
March 18th 2013

This kind of comes off as a little confusing. First you go on about thrash, then all of sudden it's death metal and then back to thrash. Maybe find a way to clear it up a bit? Otherwise good review mang, SpiritualPos.

Digging: Wreodan Heahl - Laecig

calibre

caliber

is aleast great

is ideal

Digging: Raven Throne - ???????? ?????????

More + Artillery = Mortillery

BlackLlama
March 18th 2013

Fuck.. awesome dig bloc. Didn't know Swollen Member had new stuff out... OF TO TEH INTERWEBZ!

ThrashTillDeath94
July 1st 2013

This isn't so great. It's very standard and repetitive like a lot of other by-the-books revivalist
thrash out there, the only difference with this one is the female vocalist, whom I really don't care
for. I have heard female vocals I like in the past, but not here.