Isis and Aereogramme
In The Fishtank 14

by conesmoke USER (5 Reviews)
March 14th, 2013 | 17 replies

Release Date: 2006 | Tracklist

Review Summary: A short, wet affair.

‘In the Fishtank’ is a project by independent music distributor Konkurrent. The fourteenth installment of this project features an interesting blend of ambient metalgaze. This shared EP between Isis and Aereogramme spans just under 25 minutes and takes you on a mellow journey through some interesting aquatic soundscapes.

The EP begins in true Isis fashion with a prominent bass line and a beat that instantly tells us Aaron Harris is behind the drumkit. The rhythm section is accompanied by some three-note sequences on the guitars very typical of a post rock song. A third of the way through ‘Low-tide’ the drumming intensifies and the bass starts to pulse. We are then treated to the first taste of some heavenly vocals. Craig B softly delivers lyrics that can be interpreted as finally overcoming a dark period in ones life “Can’t count the cost… I played my part, now they’re letting me go home” The tension finally cracks and Craig’s voice angelically soars through the now expanded sound in a higher register. The song basically repeats its structure at this point, followed by some anticlimaxes where the bands experiment with some percussive samples and interesting guitar tones and effects.

‘Delial’ kicks off with a drum fill which leads into a heavily distorted scene. The guitars plod along to an 11/4 groove. The use of this peculiar timing helps create a sense of movement in the music, which works neatly as this shorter, heavier track moves the listener away from the aquatic, peaceful comfort zone created in the one prior. Aaron Turner takes the reigns as vocalist here, his light howling aids an eerie vibe to the sludgy backdrop and eventually crescendos with the guitars. A very steady wall of sound emerges consisting of single bass notes and a whole lot of guitar swell. Whispered layers of vocals effortlessly pierce through this wall and spurt out sentence after sentence of incoherence. The original groove returns with some violent, airy screams that finish this rather abrasive track.

In an act of decompression we are dropped from the well-paced vessel that was Delial, into the stable, fluent ambiance of 'Stolen'. The feedback of guitars, a steady beat with an echoing snare and a wandering bass line open this track with a sense of unease and searching. The song finds some harmony when Craig brings in vocals. This time around his voice brings a feeling of weariness, with notes being stretched thin and long, with a hefty dose of reverb. All the instruments and vocals fade out leaving a soft but growing sound of electronic noises. Keys play a pivotal role here, constantly shifting between minor and major in this delicate marine atmosphere. A dampened bass drum, tambourine and a clap comprise a beat that resembles a heartbeat and gently nurse the song back to life. Eighth notes of a hi-hat being floored engage and intensify the beat while a soft melody rings in the background. From a distance Aaron Turner can be heard wailing away for a short period of time. In the last two minutes the music takes an uncomfortable turn. Unsuspecting whistles and screeches ripple through the watery scene as the last of the melody and rhythm fades.

In the Fishtank 14 is a short affair, but one that leaves a lasting impression. Within its three songs are moments of undeniable beauty, unchained aggression, and unsettling ambiance. Both bands seamlessly combine their talents and have executed their ideas brilliantly in one very cool EP.

Jared W. Dillon (3.5)
Isis and Aerogramme rely on simple beauty, instead of bombastic power....

March 14th 2013

Started this a while ago, not sure why i decided to finish it tonight. Let me know what you think.

MichaelSnoxall
March 14th 2013

Good review. I honestly find this really forgettable, even though I adore both bands.

March 14th 2013

Thanks man, i havn't heard that much aereogramme to tell you the truth.

Low-tide is pretty awesome. Fave song off this for sure.

kingsoby1
March 14th 2013

a smooth, tasty bass line - not the best descriptor for bass.

We are then treated to the first taste of vocals and by gosh... they are heavenly. - not a fan of "by gosh they are heavenly", you can find something more engaging.

The tension created in the music - wordy, you can remove "created in the music"

more stuff like this throughout. read over and trim the fat. also, it reads like a very mechanical track by track review. i would omit specifics on every song in favor of more overall impressions, stuff that separates this from a standard isis/aereogramme release, etc. I feel like a review for such a short EP should be 2 paragraphs max.

that said, i really like this record. tried to buy when they were liquidating hydrahead, but no dice :[

March 14th 2013

moved this to isis's page

March 14th 2013

cheers for the advice kingsoby, totally get what you meant by all that. Will keep in mind

kingsoby1

also, aereogramme is excellent

19933 Comments

Cool review and killer summary

I noticed you misspelled installment in the first paragraph so u should fix that ;)

Digging: Coldworld - Melancholie

2045 Comments

Still haven't checked this out but I will soon.

Interesting choice of an album to review but good review nonetheless.

March 14th 2013

ahh yep, thnx for that atari, fixed.

Cheers crimsonlies, to be honest i didn't know there was already a review for this. There's heaps of albums out there deserving reviews, so i'll make my choices based on that.

If i ever get around to writing another one that is lol.

19933 Comments

sure thing i pos'd

2045 Comments

Np and there's only one other review but I feel as if this deserves it and hey it's reminded me to check it out which I shall do.

I kind of want to start writing reviews, I just haven't gotten around to it yet and I'd probably suck but practice makes perfect I guess.

March 14th 2013

You should man. Reading constructive criticism all over this site from those who have clearly been doing this a while helps a lot too. m/

2045 Comments

Yeah I'll just use other reviews as a guideline to help form my own words. Thinking of reviewing A Cold
Dead Body - Harvest Years since no one has reviewed it yet, but I gotta give it a better listen

Anyway going to bed, sputnik kept me up again. Keep up those reviews ;)

dosia
March 14th 2013

I don't know why I haven't got this rated before. It deserves a solid 4 just because of Low Tide.

KjSwantko
March 14th 2013

Pretty good review, Coneski. I'll Pos ya.

March 14th 2013

thanks Kj, appreciate it ;)