Boris
Präparat

by Robert Lowe CONTRIBUTOR (87 Reviews)
March 14th, 2013 | 69 replies | 5,927 views

Release Date: 03/06/2013 | Tracklist

Review Summary: Boris put everything they've done before into a blender, but sometimes the juice blend isn't as sweet as the fruit it came from.

It's been a relatively quiet two years since the famous "Year of Boris," when the Japanese experimental rock band dropped three very different albums on the world. 2012 saw a couple of neat splits, but it wasn't until about a month ago that Boris announced a new album for 2013. Boris' 18h studio album Präparat is a little bit of everything they've done before, kind of like a retrospective or a greatest hits except that most of the tracks are brand new. Präparat is a fun retrospective, but what it gains from variety, it loses from a lack of continuity.

Präparat starts off soft with the post-rock-esque instrumental opener "December," before exploding into the droning guitar chords of the second track "Elegy," whose vocals and lead guitar parts sound like they'd fit in on a My Bloody Valentine record. At around the three minute mark of "Elegy," the track briefly shifts into this beautiful melodic guitar line, which then shifts again into the final section of the song, a flurry of furious drums and mellifluous guitar chords that put the cherry on top of this delicious hot fudge sunday of a track. Easily the most interesting track is the heavier than balls "Bataile Suere," whose ultra drop tuned guitars and extremely unsettling whispered vocals gets my blood flowing, but unfortunately very few tracks on Paparat have this effect, with the easy on the ears post-rock type tracks dominating the record.

The variety of genres implanted on the ten tracks of Präparat is its biggest strength and its biggest weakness. At first, the infusion of post-rock, shoegaze, drone, and sludge provides a fresh listening experience, but towards the second half of the record it results in a lack of focus and cohesion, a problem that previous records like Feedbacker and Heavy Rocks did not have. Boris have spread themselves thin in a way, it's not all that satisfying having to breeze through all these different styles in only 40 minutes and it would have been nice if the album was longer and allowed these style to develop more. The two tracks "Evil Stacks 3" and "Perforated Line" both run at under one minute and always leave me wanting more. Even worse is that "Method of Error" is the only track that crosses the six minute mark, a far cry from the epic 12 minutes duo "Missing Pieces" and "Aileron" from Heavy Rocks II. All of this genre hopping and the short runtime result in Präparat coming off as more of an appetizing sampler than a full bodied Boris experience.

Overall, Präparat is a strong enough record, but it's certainly far from Boris' best. It serves as a nice little teaser of the eclectic style Boris have crafted over 18 studio albums, but it fails to capture the immense magic of records like Feedbacker, Flood, and Akuma No Uta. Many of the tracks have a lighter than usual atmosphere and fail to match the grit of previous Boris greats, making for a nice but frustrating listen. Präparat is the perfect record for someone looking to get into Boris, but unfortunately it may not be strong enough to impress a well versed fan.

Kyary Pamyu Pamyu Pikapika FantajinBrave Bird T-Minus Grand Gesture
Old Gray/Tiny Moving Parts SplitBanner Pilot Souvenir
Carissa's Wierd Songs About LeavingAge Sixteen Open Up Finders, Please
SputnikSweetheart (4)
Boris' most intimate record to date might as well be their best in recent years...

Eli EMERITUS (4.1)
Boris reinvent themselves once more with a record that sounds both fresh and familiar....

Year of wag

fromtheinside

i'd drink your summary

Digging: Fallujah - The Flesh Prevails

March 13th 2013

I'm gonna try and edit in all the ä hold on guys

robertsona
March 13th 2013

"Boris put everything the've done before"

haha they've*, if ya care

shit thanks

Calc

11966 Comments

I'd like to congratulate you for not blatantly referring to yourself in this review. It could however use editing. Your summary for instance has a word misspelled.

Digging: Kashiwa Daisuke - April. #02

March 13th 2013

The contributor tag I guess hasn't made people learn a lesson... -_- shame

March 13th 2013

Thank you staff member with same first name as me

Thank you Calc as well for irrationally hating me

Never listened to Boris, but I've listened to Boris by Melvins =D

March 13th 2013

I actually did proofread this one, I just couldn't think of a summary and wrote it too fast right before posting I suppose

Calc

11966 Comments

proofread again:

"Präparat coming off as more off an appetizing sampler"

I think you meant "of"

Inveigh
March 13th 2013

it might be the initial "new boris album" infatuation, but I'm loving this

I do agree about the song lengths though, I find myself wishing most songs were more fleshed out

March 13th 2013

Yeah I was all over this for the first few days

sideburndude
March 13th 2013

I should really listen to some more boris

fromtheinside

so this is good or no? i heard its top heavy

Inveigh

so this is good or no? i heard its top heavy

if you like their other stuff, specifically albums like the Heavy Rocks discs, Pink and Akuma no Uta, then yes absolutely listen to this

kingsoby1

digging this

sixdegrees

it's pretty cool so far

Digging: Ted Nugent - Shutup&jam!

Omaha
March 13th 2013

You aren't a bad writer, Trebor, but there are some grammatical issues here that probably should be ironed out by now.

"It's been a relatively quiet two years since the famous "Year of Boris" when the aforementioned Japanese experimental rock band dropped three very different albums on the world in 2011."

Put a comma after "Year of Boris". "Aforementioned" is unnecessary, since you just said the band name, and you don't need to name the year at the end either.

"Boris' 18h studio album Präparat is a little bit of everything they've done before; kind of like a retrospective or a greatest hits except that most of the tracks are brand new. Präparat has a fun time capsule of a record, but what it gains from variety, it loses from a lack of continuity."

First off, the semi-colon in the first sentence should be a comma. Also, these sentences conflict because you say it's a time capsule of an album, but then that it has variety. Sure, maybe the band's discography has variety, but it reads strangely nonetheless.

"Präparat starts off relatively soft"

You should take out the 'relatively' here - your point will be stronger without it.

"the second track "Elegy;" whose vocals and lead guitar parts sound like they'd fit in on a My Bloody Valentine record."

Once again, no semi-colon here. Only use a semi-colon if the phrase after the punctuation can stand alone as a sentence.

"the track briefly shifts into this beautiful melodic guitar line, which then shifts again into the final section of the song; a flurry of furious drums and mellifluous guitar chords that put the cherry on top of this delicious hot fudge sunday of a track."

Same semi-colon issue, plus the sentence's end is just redonkulous. However, I'll endorse it if you at least take out the 'delicious.' Plz?

"Probably the most interesting track"

Yeah, it'll be better off without 'probably.'

"towards the second half of the record it results in a lack of focus and cohesion; a problem that previous records like Feedbacker and Heavy Rocks did not have."

Semi-colon problem here again.

Your closing sentence is your best, because you keep things as simple as they need to be. The only advice I have for your closer is that you refrain from using the band name so much. It's something I always have to watch out for as well, because it's easy to fall into redundancy like that.

Digging: Deniro Farrar - Rebirth