My Chemical Romance
Danger Days...

by tmagistrelli USER (18 Reviews)
March 13th, 2013 | 52 replies

Review Summary: Dangerous, yet fabulous.

Since their inception in late 2001, My Chemical Romance has always possessed a flair for surprises. The four piece group had taken their ability to create shock value, and put it to work in their two major releases prior. Three Cheers for Sweet Revenge exposed the band to the mainstream market. The band found they fit themselves perfectly right into the "emo" niche. A few years later with the group's magnum opus, The Black Parade, they put the exclamation point on their "emo" classification. This was with a concept album surrounding death. Unfortunately for the group, they were the last of a dying breed for their particular genre. For any other group, this may have been their demise.

My Chemical Romance though, is a little different. After recording sessions following The Black Parade, the group was recording very similar works with less theatrics and less conceptual composition. However, the group became dissatisfied with these tracks and ended up shelving these finished recordings. Following this, My Chemical Romance decided to take the bold jump from "emo" rock to pop rock. The end result is Danger Days: The True Lives of the Fabulous Killjoys. Which rather than speaking of death, the record speaks of the beauties of life, and living the Carpe Diem lifestyle. As a whole, the record is the best yet composed by the group with a new found sonic focus, musical expertise, and awareness of their past works.

Forget the plot, and Dr. Death Defying. Focus on the music.

Where the record preceding it focused more on the 80's pop rock music movement, this one takes the jump to the more electronic edge to 80's music. The result can be tracks drenched in synthesizer and bass heavy hooks. Take for example pop rocker single, "Planetary (GO!)". The track is focused on dancing all of your cares, and life's stresses away. Somewhat cliche, I know. Similarly on "Party Poison" the group puts on their best Poison impression for a track with shredding guitars, and living life as fully as you can.

The real beauty in this record though is watching the maturation of all members of the band right before our ears. Everyone's musical prowess has seemed to expand greatly to create this superb work. Gerard Way gives his best vocal performance of his career on "Bulletproof Heart", which is an anthem about being taken to new heights. During which he attempts to persuade us to go along for the ride with the group. As he wails that gravity means nothing to him, and that nothing will hold him down. He succeeds alone, but that's not where the ride ends. The lead guitar player Ray Toro is no slouch either. On intro track "Na Na Na (Na Na Na Na)", and album closer "Vampire Money", Toro's guitar solos are not only expertly performed, but possibly the most exhilarating moments on the LP. The bassist Mike Way, and percussionist Mike Pedicone shine through the brightest on the futuristic flair songs like disaster recovery track "S/C/A/R/E/C/R/O/W", summer song "Summertime", and commencement anthem "The Kids From Yesterday".

Something to know is that the band doesn't entirely wipe their musical slate clean. Many examples of the former My Chemical Romance can still be found. These tracks are more comparable to Three Cheers for Sweet Revenge, but with a little smoother production quality. On "Save Yourself, I'll Hold Them Back", which combine's Way's brash screams, and with heavier rock music, the group approaches this with the same as many of their previous releases. Combine that seamlessly with the fact that everyone instrumentally increased so much, along with Gerard Way's improved vocal execution, it creates the clear stand out track. On "Destroya" the group ups the anti to create their most similar effort to The Black Parade, with grandiose orchestration, and dramatic vocals.

One thing is for sure though, if viewed as the follow up to The Black Parade it will disappoint many, maybe all. However Danger Days is a separate animal. Listened to as a whole, it is their most enjoyable record free of some of their past musical flaws. In the process of crafting their most diverse, and brilliant release to date, My Chemical Romance was ready to be something different then anticipated. They succeeded here. With Danger Days My Chemical Romance does something dangerous, but ultimately becomes fabulous.

“Everybody wants to change the world, but nobody wants to die.”

Breathe Carolina SavagesMy Chemical Romance May Death Never Stop You
Paramore ParamoreThe Red Jumpsuit Apparatus Et Tu, Brute?
Cash Cash The Beat Goes On - EPfun. Aim and Ignite
2.7

March 13th 2013

I'm happy that sputnikmusic.com gave me a second chance to write this review. I feel this one is much, much better then my last one. Let me know how I can improve guys, thanks a bunch for reading!

fromtheinside

19224 Comments

lol

Digging: Techno Animal - The Brotherhood of the Bomb

March 13th 2013

well thank you @andcas, I just don't want my reading to speak to why it's negged. so i wanted to rewrite this.

sixdegrees
March 13th 2013

it must be a rule that every review for this album has to have a terrible summary

Digging: Satomimagae - Koko

should I try again? hahahha

March 13th 2013

don't let a band drive you to that hahahah

CaptainHadouken

1960 Comments

....Really? *Face palm*

March 13th 2013

hahaha you wouldn't be the first captain

ConorIsNotHere
March 13th 2013

“Everybody wants to change the world, but no one wants to die"

Fixed

SadAndHolyGlow
March 13th 2013

Nice review. Very well backed-up points, though I completely disagree.

Digging: The Few Against Many - Sot

March 13th 2013

@sad i appreciate that man, thanks!

@andcas it is quite unusual isn't it? hhahaha

LPFTW
March 13th 2013

I can't make it through the 5th track of this album without getting bored as hell

Digging: Joy Division - Closer

March 13th 2013

you're missing out on the best tracks man. check out vampire money, and destroya

LPFTW
March 13th 2013

Well, I'll admit that "Na Na Na (Na Na Na Na Na Na Na Na Na)" pretty great song, so I guess I could say that it's an exception

Kris.
March 13th 2013

Forget the plot, and Dr. Death Defying. Focus on the music.

thats hard to do when the plot is silly, dr. death defying is annoying as fuck, and the music blows anyways

cept na na na that song rules

Kris.
March 13th 2013

they really should've released conventional weapons instead of this in the first place. those songs are fantastic

fromtheinside

19224 Comments

the dj on this album whatever he is is the most annoying piece of musical diversity thats ever been cursed upon this wretched planet

March 13th 2013

i will even agree on that. cw is really good.

joshieboy12345
March 13th 2013

This a 5? Hahahaha good joke.

NapalmCrusader
March 13th 2013

Not a bad review dude, actually is pretty solid. Otherwise i can't say that agree with your rating, not the worst thing around here but certainly it isn't somethign remarkable.