Hurts
Exile

2.0
poor

by Ali CONTRIBUTOR (131 Reviews)
March 12th, 2013 | 19 replies

Release Date: 03/11/2013 | Tracklist

Review Summary: The crackers, Gromit! We forgot the crackers!!

Even in the turbulent, hype-fuelled realms of British music, it's difficult to recall an act in recent times who've proved as divisive as Mancunian duo Hurts. An increasingly massive presence on mainland Europe, Theo Hutchcraft and Adam Anderson are nevertheless finding recognition harder to come by in their homeland, where their slick, shamelessly commercial synthpop continues to split opinion like a robust nutcracker. Even the press - so often the industry's designated tastemakers - struggled to strike any form of agreement regarding 2010's debut LP Happiness, and for better or worse, follow-up Exile won't do anything to resolve that squabble.

In a way, Hurts' entire plight is epitomised by "Sandman," the third track from the new record. Setting out all guns blazing, its opening stages are rife with hooks and smack of stadium-filling potential, only for the song to perform a complete bellyflop with the type of chorus any self-respecting writer wouldn't even present before their companions. It's an issue that's bound to raise it's head on occasion, so precarious is the line they tread between arms-aloft anthemism and hideous cheesiness, but here, as before, the pair too often find themselves tumbling into the latter camp. Granted, there are plenty of other moments such as the opening title track and lead single "Miracle" (the most blatant "Paradise" rip-off you're ever likely to hear) which hold undeniable qualities, but even these are let down either by a swathe of hideous lyrics or their apparent inability to write a chorus that's not utterly cringeworthy. Or both.

Sadly, these stained beacons are about as good as it gets, since Exile also carries a baggage of material bearing no redeeming features whatsoever. These misdemeanors come to a head with "The Crow" and "Somebody To Die For," a feeble on-two punch which effectively grinds what little momentum the rest of the record has gathered to a painful, plodding halt. It's hard to imagine anyone garnering enjoyment from such mundane dregs, but it'll no doubt be lapped up on the continent, where Hutchcraft's whinesome Bellamy-esque croon is celebrated as opposed to scorned, and as long as that's the case, Hurts aren't about to go away - regardless of this album's quality, or lack thereof.

The Twilight Sad Nobody Wants To Be Here And Nobody Wants To LeaveKing Creosote From Scotland With Love
RM Hubbert First and LastWithered Hand New Gods
The Twilight Sad Live at Paisley AbbeyStephen Malkmus Wig Out At Jagbags
2.6

March 12th 2013

Haven't written a negative review in ages, this seemed like an appropriate opportunity.

I'm fully aware "whinesome" isn't actually a word. Well, it should be.

Feedback much appreciated!

Necrotica
March 12th 2013

We need to do another contributor onslaught soon... anyway, good review! Short, sweet, and to the point

FearOfTheDuck
March 12th 2013

Not nearly as good as the debut, though I wouldn't it criticise it as much as you do. The Road is a fantastic song, wish they'd gone further down that songwriting... road.

klap
March 12th 2013

good review my man. digging the length

Digging: Jessie Ware - Tough Love

March 12th 2013

I just checked this out today. It wasn't THAT bad and I am definitely a fan of this darker synthpop, but I'd say it was just really bland.

Digging: The Birthday Massacre - Superstition

breakingthefragile
March 12th 2013

I'm in love with that summary.

NocteDominum

Dat summary : ]

Agree with Brendan ; ]

StrangerofSorts

Great review!

Never heard of Hurts, so I can confirm they're not popular. Doesn't sound like they should be anyway, though.

Brostep
March 12th 2013

Summary is absolutely Ali. Good review, won't be listening to this

March 13th 2013

Thanks guys. Didn't think the Wallace & Gromit reference would resonate with anyone outside the UK, but evidently I was wrong.

@bloc, I was torn between 2 and 2.5. Went with gut instinct, which invariably tells me to be a dick.

I don't understand the relevance of the W&G reference ):

Digging: Azealia Banks - Broke With Expensive Taste

OHHH

ok now I get it

haha

Phragmine
March 14th 2013

Only You and Miracle are pretty sweet. Everything else I don't have an opinion on yet.

22033 Comments

This is really making me think of Muse. If I didn't know better I'd've thought the opening vocals on
the album were Bellamy himself.

on-two punch

one-two?

March 17th 2013

Yeah the vocals have the same borderline whiny tone. Thanks for the nitpick, will edit.

22033 Comments

Miracles is cool. There could be some other decent stuff here but the overproduction ruins it

March 17th 2013

It's certainly overproduced, though I'd say shite choruses are its main stumbling block. I agree that Miracle is the best song, even if it's a blatant Coldplay rip-off.

22033 Comments

I guess it's the over-focus on production rather than the actual music

dan2309
March 19th 2013

Good review, summed up this album really well.

I actually quite liked their first album but this just sounds whiny throughout. "Difficult second album" alert.