Echolyn
Suffocating the Bloom

by ClemintineBree USER (12 Reviews)
March 11th, 2013 | 20 replies | 1,119 views

Release Date: 1992 | Tracklist

Review Summary: Whoa

Echolyn is a progressive rock band that was formed in the early 90's. They are strongly influenced by legends Gentle Giant. They have fantastic levels of musicallity which are fully evident in each of the band members talents. Their music has great flow and their discography is quite solid. Suffocating the Bloom is a fantastic record about winter and other naturistic landscaps. Although 21 tracks long its actually one song. "Memoirs From Between" showcases some beautiful vocal melodies from Brett William Kull. The backing progressive folk melodies blend well with his voice.

Tracks like "In every garden" are really excellent. The flutes blending well with the chimming ride slaps and Bretts voice makes me want to dance and leap off building in full confidence. It's kind of like that scene on the movie called the game where Michael Douglas at the end jumps off the building because he's so sad he shot his brother and when he's falling in slow motion is in every garden, it's just perfect. Sometimes Bretts voice will climax like the mid three minute section of this same track. The synth tricklings of the synth master Christopher Bizby, are really good.

"A little nonsense" is truly jazz fusion. Gentle Giant really shines here. Even the mid-clapping part with vocal hamonies is purely Gentle Giant's influence. In fact, you should really hear this track. When the bass lines of master Thomas Hyatt[not to be confused with the hotel] comes in you will immediatly be wow'd because he's really good. In fact, when he slaps the bass it gives off a rather distinct reverb falangee effect that only he can do. In fact, he's really good at staying in harmony. I don't know how he does.

Gentle Giant are clearly the main influences so wouldn't you check this. Gentle Giant are the foundation of good music and jazzy prog vibes and Echolyn really have learned the essense of copying good stuff. But not just stuff that is good butt stuff that is tasty and warm like baths. In fact, jeanluc ponty like riffs of violin are heard throughout. "The sentimental chain" is one of the most beautiful songs I've ever heard. My dad once said "son, if you see beauty then go after it" and with Suffocating the Bloom all I heard was beauty. The only downside is the non-fitting album art. When I listen to suffocating the bloom all I feel is blue and winter and gloom and passion but red is too bull like. Please hear this, you have to hear this. You hear.