Skyhooks
Living In The '70s

by Jason Hellmuth USER (19 Reviews)
March 11th, 2006 | 5 replies | 2,117 views

Release Date: 1974 | Tracklist

Australiaís latest efforts in the pop-rock genre have yielded less than admirable bands, with the thankfully forgotten Jet giving up there position to the equally annoying Rogue Traders, it seems like Australia is doing more damage than good to this particular branch of music.

However, less than three decades ago, our country yielded a pop-rock revolution. A band that wrote such controversial lyrics that nine of their debutís eleven songs were banned from Radio and TV. A band that created the glam rock image years before it would appear in the US. A band that set the standards for every Australian musician to follow, who finally broke out of this country and put Australia on the international music map. This band was Skyhooks.

Coming forth from Melbourne in the early Ď70s, Skyhooks combined catchy riffs, tenacious rock beats, and a good does of Aussie humour. Before them, the biggest artist was Daddy Cool, with 50 000 records sold in Australia. The band blitzed this figure in less than a year by selling 300 000 copies of their debut Living In The Ď70s, which stayed in the Australian charts at position 1 for 4 months.

It is impossible for me to explain to the majority of you (those not from Down Under, that is) just how phenomenal these guys were in my country. They were the first band from Melbourne to make it in Sydney and Brisbane. They were the first band to make it in the US. When the first colour TV broadcast swept Australia, they were playing on Countdown. When Double J (now JJJ) debuted, the first song they played (in order to display their rebellious attitude) was You Just Like Me ĎCos Iím Good In Bed. And it is generally accept that without them, Mushroom Records would not be the massive indie label it is today.

Hell, Iron Fuckiní Maiden covered their í78 single, entitled Women In Uniform. So itís obviously strange that youíve never heard of them (and I know you havenít). But, thatís why Iím writing this review, isnít it.

The album opens with the title track, and starts the maddeningly fun ride of self-deprecating lyrics, masterful guitar work, and Shirleyís rather effeminate falsetto.
From the anarchic messages of Whatever Happened to the Revolution and Hey Whatís The Matter to the sexual themes oozing out of Smut, Motorcylce Bitch, Balwyn Calling and of course You Just Like Me ĎCos Iím Good In Bed, this album earned its status ten times over.

Itís probably telling of the perverse nature of teens that, despite the banning of so many tracks and the virtual shunning by the musical community, this band made it big before any others in Australia. And it deserved to, since every minute of this album is a great example of Ausrock in its prime. Even the weakest songs (musically), like Toorak Cowboy, make up for it with their brilliant lyrics whilst the strongest songs, such as Horror Movie beg the question, why arenít these guys more famous?

Of course, by todayís standards, the band is neither original, nor controversial, but the music still retains its charm, a charm that extends into every song, including the classic Why Donít You All Get Fucked. And thatís really what makes this almost nostalgic trip back in time so fun. So go ahead and live in the Ď70s, Skyhooks-style. Just try not to pick up another diseaseÖ

Mike Oldfield Tubular Bells IIDream Evil The Book of Heavy Metal
Mike Oldfield Light + ShadeLost Horizon Awakening The World
Aakon Keetreh Journey Into The Depths Of NightRunning Wild Black Hand Inn

Zebra
March 11th 2006

I've heard the title track, it was alright. This is probably something I wouldn't listen to on a regular basis but I might check it out anyways.
Good review.

gaslight
March 11th 2006

Good review, they were a big band in Australian music, and I also agree that Jet and The Rogue Traders are utterly shameful. Especially that Rogue Traders song that rips off My Sharona, Christ, how are they not in jail.

Skyhooks had a massive influence in Aussie music, hopefully over time more people from other countries will see the good music we've produced instead of the embarassing crap that we export (The Vines, Rogue Traders, Jet, The Veronicas etc).

sgrevs
March 12th 2006

Oi! The Vines are good! Jet and Rogue Traders = death to my ears.

This sounds awesome I should check it out, very very good review.

Jim
March 12th 2006

They are quite tame by today's standards, but they certainly deserve more respect. Went to Canberra once and this was the soundtrack. Good road-tripping music.