Makthaverskan
Makthaverskan II

by Alex Trinkner CONTRIBUTOR (73 Reviews)
March 8th, 2013 | 54 replies

Release Date: 03/07/2013 | Tracklist

Review Summary: Makthaverskan offer a refinement of their female-fronted post-punk sound, with terrific results.

Makthaverskan is a band hailing from Gothenburg, Sweden. Mixing elements of post-punk and dream-pop, Makthaverskan have garnered a cult following in their native land. Legend has it, at the outset of their venture into the world of music they were reduced to using household kitchen utensils as drums, due to the fact that a proper drum-set could not be afforded. Thankfully, Makthaverskan somehow found the money to afford an actual drum-set, worked their way onto an independent record label and have released two albums thus far. Their second album, simply titled Makthaverskan II, is not a departure from their post-punk sound crafted on their debut four years ago. Instead it is a record that focuses on perfecting the sound, while adding enough interesting ideas to be distinctly identifiable.

The songs sound sloppy and unfocused and the lyrics seldom seem like coherent thoughts, yet somehow this release has an undeniable charm to it. The album is overly repetitive and nowhere near innovative; perhaps that is part of its charm. Nearly every track deals with heartbreak, often with malicious and malevolent lyrics. A certain four letter expletive synonymous for intercourse works its way into many tracks, often vindictively. Although the lyrics may seem childish in execution on occasion, more often than not they are sincere and heartfelt.

All the classic aspects of post-punk are present; there is repetition throughout every track along with an emphasis on synthesizers and dynamic bass lines. The wailing vocals of lead singer Maja Milner are somewhat subdued compared to past offerings, producing a perfect mix between the emotions of the lyrics and emotions being created by the instrumentation. For nine tracks, listeners are swept into a near dream-like state, listlessly floating along until the last airy notes ring out on Volga. Tracks such as Antabus and Distance showcase the more upbeat dimension of the band. These tracks don’t forgo the atmosphere created on previous tracks, instead bolstering the emotions created by acting as foils. The other half of the album is comprised of mid-temp slow burning tracks that complement the up-tempo tracks perfectly.

Makthaverskan have managed to avoid the dreaded ‘sophomore slump’ in every sense of the phrase. Ideas are expanded upon and obvious growth is being made. Although there are a handful of lamentable moments to be found throughout Makthaverskan II, this album proves to be worthy of repeated listens.

He Is Legend Heavy FruitGuest House I'll Get Over It I Guess
Trophy Scars Holy VacantsSeahaven Reverie Lagoon: Music For Escapism Only
Sleep Weather Two Wheels SpinningWe Are Scientists TV en Français

March 8th 2013

I'm trying to branch out a little bit with my music taste. Can't say i've ever listened to that much
post-punk music. There are probably errors to be found on this review so feel free to help me out a
little bit.

But this is great. It came out yesterday, and it's available for streaming on spotify.

March 8th 2013

Original summary read: Wait... ABBA isn't the only band from Sweden?

But then i realized i'm not funny and changed it lol

Jom
March 8th 2013

Makthaverskan has garnered a cult following in their native land.

*brain explodes*

March 8th 2013

lol well at least i have received a comment from jom. I'll take that as a no for the feature then. But could you please fix the genre when possible?

FelixCulpa
March 8th 2013

As someone from Gothenburg these guys have gone unnoticed by me, time to rectify that.

Good plan

20154 Comments

i'm confused should it be has or have lol

Digging: Angels and Airwaves - The Dream Walker

March 8th 2013

I switched it to have because Jom seems to think it's right, and he's probably smarter than me lol.. i'm not actually sure though. I thought has was fine.

20154 Comments

yeah it confuses me sometimes too somebody had told me it could go either way before.

March 8th 2013

You can use both "have" and "has" when referring to a band (personal choice, just be consistent), but you can't pair "has" with "their". I don't want to sound like a douche, but it's not rocket science you guys.

March 8th 2013

No. Just basic grammar. That for some reason I cannot seem to grasp.

Thanks though

March 8th 2013

Nevemind. i'm an idiot. The way i structured my sentence just confused me. I can't say "they has shampoo in their hair" Thanks for not being a dick about it though.

Anytime.

March 8th 2013

Oh and on that note, I'd suggest you to look over your summary as well ;)

20154 Comments

yeah that makes sense. good review though man pos'd

Ecnalzen
March 8th 2013

Nvrmind. Its been touched on enough, lol.

20154 Comments

wow i didn't notice that in the summary either so it should just be offer not offers?...i'm learning!

March 8th 2013

Damn.. I should have let this review sit for a little bit and edit it. That one was just adding an 's' i think..

March 8th 2013

I'm a little bummed to see that my grammar mistakes seem to be deterring people from actually reading the review though. But it's deserved if i have an error in my summary and the first paragraph.

20154 Comments

don't feel bad man i wouldn't doubt it if most my reviews have errors just like this in them.

as somebody who's been out of school for almost 10 years...these are things i learned but stopped thinking about lol. nice memory refresher.