1997
...A Better View Of The Rising Moon

by Aaron Arneson CONTRIBUTOR (104 Reviews)
March 8th, 2013 | 32 replies | 1,188 views

Release Date: 2007 | Tracklist

Review Summary: Get ready to feel happy.

There’s no denying music can have the ability to stir our deepest emotions. Whether it’s a band we grew up listening to or lyrics that hit us where it hurts, most of us have felt some kind of connection behind our headphones. Formed out of Chicago, 1997 was a pop-rock band that created nostalgic and uplifting tunes that should sit well with most listeners. Not only does their music seem to bring us back to a simpler time, but their debut album ...A Better View of the Rising Moon makes for a great soundtrack to get us in the mood for Spring.

Fueled by the dual vocals of Kerri Mack and Caleb Pepp, the band’s debut is full of optimism backed by cheerful instruments such as keyboards and bells. They get off to a fantastic start with ‘Water’s Edge’ as it contains delightful vocal harmonies and one of the most upbeat choruses on the album. The two vocalists are the obvious stars of the band and they both possess a strong level of confidence that shines brightly throughout the album’s 12 tracks. However, the instrumentation at hand also adds a lot of character to the band’s sound and thankfully they don't hold anything back on the debut. The standout track ‘The Roads You Can Take’ is packed with hopeful sounding harmonicas and lyrics that are sure to conjure up the best of memories, while other tracks are brought to life by keyboards and shimmering guitars.

Even though 1997 may not have been the most innovative band of their time, the soaring vocal melodies and lively instruments work together to create quite the listening experience. It’s unfortunate they broke up following their third album in 2009, but it’s hard not to admire the band’s hard work and passion and it’s on full display on ...A Better View of the Rising Moon. It’s a nostalgia-induced ride that any fan of pop-rock or alternative will find hard not to enjoy as the band manages to remind the listener of a better time.

Fireworks Oh, Common LifeA Slow Descent On Ganymede
The Hotelier Home, Like NoPlace Is ThereAgalloch The White
The Beatles Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club BandDarkspace Dark Space I

On The Run

March 8th 2013

this is for weeping/curse's newest music review game.

it's short but hopefully i said all that needs to be said.

opening track:

Digging: Somos - Temple of Plenty

YankeeDudel
March 8th 2013

Feel happy? I don't want to feel happy I want to raise my vibrational consciousness and transcend towards enlightenment. Screw your petty emotions

Digging: Ravi Shankar - Three Ragas

March 8th 2013

lol. where's your poison revew!

NightmareCinema16

2016 Comments

That summary. Coincidence you're at 67 reviews and I'm at 27. Anyways, great review, POS.

@nightmare, thanks pal.

March 8th 2013

I like this reviewing style. Very easy to read yet it felt free and had good flow to it. Sucks link didn't work on my phone cuz I wanted to check but have a pos bro.

Digging: Deniro Farrar - The Patriarch II

YankeeDudel
March 8th 2013

song was horrendous dont bother my god atari my GOD

Horrendously happy :D

But seriously that's not even the best song just one I found a link for.

March 8th 2013

Oh and thanks captain I really appreciate it

March 8th 2013

do you know a band who's shy about using their instruments? and yeah this song isn't that good lol if you want some REAL!! happy hardcore listen to The Messenger.

March 8th 2013

godamnit calc lol. and who said anything about hardcore it's pop-rock and it was part of curseworship's review game.

March 8th 2013

its all the same stuff...and the font just changed on my computer.

I'm just gonna leave this here:

March 8th 2013

Thanks for the feedback calc i should have worded that differently hopefully this looks better:

I'll check the link as well and let you know what i think.

March 8th 2013

lol i hope you know that just cuz i dont say "i'm messing with you" you don't think I'm not just messing with you most of the time lol

March 8th 2013

nah i know how blunt you are lol. i didn't like the way that sentence read after reading it again so i changed it

March 8th 2013

ok good :] as long as you know lol

March 8th 2013

i mean i know you're being sarcastic half the time but i still consider the stuff you say to be feedback on my writing lol

manosg
March 8th 2013

Even though this doesn't seem like something I would really enjoy, your review is good. Have a pos.

Digging: Jan Akkerman - Tabernakel