Witxes
Sorcery/Geography

by Dan H. CONTRIBUTOR (53 Reviews)
March 7th, 2013 | 47 replies

Ambient music has always struck me as an otherworldly entity. Its composition, its impact, and practically everything about it is so far detached from the normal parameters by which we judge music that it effortlessly distinguishes itself as a different beast entirely. The roots of ambience can be traced back to the mid 1970’s when a certain Brian Eno first coined the phrase; and he’s widely accredited with both its formation and its popularity. It has evolved and been infused with other electronic genres since then; including drone music. This is the focus of Witxes’ efforts, and some of the denser atmospheres that they craft on Sorcery/Geography are comparable to the more wandering moments on Godspeed You! Black Emperor’s Allelujah! Don’t Bend! Ascend! such as “Their Helicopters Sing.”

Given that to truly appreciate most music, the instruments need to be scrutinized and the passages dissected in order to evaluate its efficacy and importance, it’s almost surreal to listen to an album and intend to do the exact opposite - but it’s exactly what the nature of the music commands. Ambient music is open, it lacks structure, it’s ambiguous and it thrives off textures, and it’s pretty much everything that pop music isn't. Using primarily keyboards and synthesisers to achieve its effects, Sorcery/Geography doesn't want to be scrutinised. Hell, it doesn't really even want your full attention. Instead, it prefers to lurk in the background and swirl and ebb and flow, like a river slowly eroding a rock into a pebble over hundreds of years, where, at its completion you marvel at the process and the way in which it achieved the end result.

The atmospheres created on Sorcery/Geography vary significantly. Sinister sounding rhythms protrude from the mists created by the lush synthesisers and make their presence felt in the most awkwardly effective way possible, epitomised by “After the Horsefight.” On the opposite end of the spectrum, Witxes occasionally allow the mists to clear and you are treated to a glimpse of daylight through smooth jazz, as saxophones permeate the all encompassing denseness and provide brief reprieves from the eeriness, most notably on “Canyon Improbable.” To talk about highlights in depth however would be to largely ignore the genres primary purpose, which is the feeling the listener is left with upon the album’s conclusion. In Witxes case it’s the carefully balanced ambience and drone techniques which encourage hope and unease respectively, and they succeed in crafting an almost cathartic experience that drifts in and out of the foreground, subtly shaping its surroundings but never allowing itself to go unnoticed.

Ben Howard I Forget Where We WereFACT Witness
Willis Earl Beal Acousmatic SorceryInterpol El Pintor
Maybeshewill Fair YouthTalons New Topographics

A Fabric of Beliefs

MichaelSnoxall
March 7th 2013

Good review, good album. Good stuff. Pos.

Originally posted at: http://www.muzikdizcovery.com/

Never reviewed an album quite like it. The comparison at the end of the first para is accurate and
hopefully encourages you to listen.

Cheers Michael.

Keyblade
March 7th 2013

whoaa this has a review. was this for the review game?

great album, but the EP is betta

Digging: Submotion Orchestra - Alium

March 7th 2013

No game man just been meaning to review this for a while! Finally got round to it. New album in May.

Keyblade
March 7th 2013

good job man, pos'd the review btw. wow didn't know about the new album...hopefully it's free too

March 7th 2013

Thanks man, I was hoping the exact same thing!

March 7th 2013

The album art for this is pretty faaackin' cool.

March 7th 2013

Also, great review. pos!!!!!!!!!

JamieTwort
March 7th 2013

Excellent album. I personally prefer this to their EP.

Great review, pos'd.

eternium
March 7th 2013

Should have a higher rating for sure.

Cheers guys!

Agreed about that album art too.

March 7th 2013

'Ambient music is open, it lacks structure, it’s ambiguous and it thrives off textures, and it’s pretty much everything that pop music isn't.'

Nice contrast.

"it prefers to lurk in the background and swirl and ebb and flow, like a river slowly eroding a rock into a pebble over hundreds of years, where, at its completion you marvel at the process and the way in which it achieved the end result."

Genius.

"Witxes occasionally allow the mists to clear and you are treated to a glimpse of daylight through smooth jazz, as saxophones permeate the all encompassing denseness and provide brief reprieves from the eeriness, most notably on “Canyon Improbable.”"

One of my favorite elements. Fantastic review. This greatly needed one. Pos'd hard.

Digging: Impetuous Ritual - Unholy Congregation of Hypocritical Ambivalence

Rail
March 7th 2013

Great to see a review for this. I frickin adore this project/album.

If you're an eejit like me, and you paid for the download before it was free then send a message to Maxime. He'll throw a couple of quid off the price of the vinyl.

Digging: Eric's Trip - Purple Blue

YankeeDudel

niceeeee

Digging: The The - Soul Mining

March 7th 2013

The kind words are much appreciated Captain! I'm really glad there's others on here who enjoy this just as much/even more than me.

mindleviticus

this is a good album

North0House2
March 8th 2013

Very strong review. Props to you. I've reviewed ambient before as well, and man it is pretty rough stuff.

I enjoy this album quite a bit, I need to give it another spin.

Digging: Ef - Ceremonies

Havey
March 8th 2013

cute review

Taxt
March 20th 2013

Good review, I'm digging this

March 20th 2013

Only heard the first three tracks on bandcamp and I can tell it's a winner. Lovin' it.