Electric Sorcery
Electric Sorcery

by Alex Trinkner CONTRIBUTOR (70 Reviews)
March 7th, 2013 | 29 replies | 761 views

Review Summary: Just another average progressive/psychedelic album..

Electric Sorcery is quite the peculiar band. Claiming influences varying from Frank Zappa to Black Sabbath one can assume before even listening to any Electric Sorcery record that it would, at the very least, be an interesting affair. As is often the case with an outfit labeled as a progressive psychedelic band, Electric Sorcery is a band that strives to ‘think outside of the box’ and create music without constraints of genres. Some tracks are bass driven reggae-esque tracks, while others unfortunately slip into the rap/hip-hop scene. When it is all said and done, Electric Sorcery’s 2009 self-titled debut is an album that seems to go through multiple identity crises in a span of ten tracks.

Psychedelic albums are difficult to digest, even if they are immaculately crafted. So even if a psychedelic record is created with good intentions and even if it is executed adequately, it is likely that said album will seem unfocused and just plain sloppy. Those two words best sum up the experience that is Electric Sorcery; Sloppy and unfocused. Great ideas often begin to bloom, only to be choked out by the constant experimentation and attempt to diversify. Implementation of instruments such as flutes and saxophones certainly add a sense of uniqueness, yet the overuse of ‘unique’ ideas plagues this record.

Electric Sorcery is at their best when they are jamming, lending to the fact that they originated out of a jam-rock band. Without pressures of writing vocal melodies it seems that Electric Sorcery flourishes, as evidenced by the best track on the entire record A Stitch in 9 Saves Time. The song flows perfectly from part to part, from riff to solo to riff again, without ever feeling forced or gimmicky. Unfortunately that cannot be said for the rest of the album as most of what is to come falls under the category of gimmicks. Solos seem to be thrown in solely for the sake of soloing, riffs are repeated to create a sense of repetition that ultimately comes off as forced and obnoxious and there is even an entire track dedicated to rapping. That is right. Three middle age white men decide that rapping the ridiculously clichéd line Opinions are like assholes and most of them stink was legitimately a good idea. That gem of a line is taken from the third track Law & Order, a track most definitely worthy of a skip.

With mindless noodling of guitars and repetition of backing instrumentation, Electric Sorcery’s first outing as a band is average at best. Ideas constantly take too long to come to fruition, but when they are finally reached Electric Sorcery proves that they can hang with the best of their genre. With only minimal changes and a new found appropriation of focus, Electric Sorcery could truly create a record worthy of repeated listens; sadly this is not that album.

Seahaven Reverie Lagoon: Music For Escapism OnlySleep Weather Two Wheels Spinning
We Are Scientists TV en FrançaisWilliam Fitzsimmons Lions
Prawn / Joie de Vivre SplitMy Epic Behold
good

March 7th 2013

This is for Weepings review game organized by curse (had to make sure i gave credit to the right
person) so yeah.. it's probably obvious i'm not very well-versed in this genre. I still tried to come
at this as objectively as possible. It's not terrible. It's just not that good either.

March 7th 2013

pretty good for an average review they are hard to write.

"Unfortunately that cannot be said for the rest of the album as most of what fills the rest of the album"

no need to say rest of the album twice. ;)

Digging: Somos - Temple of Plenty

March 7th 2013

Yes they are. lol I kept pushing it off, but i decided to get it out of the way... so i could go back to reviewing new stuff lol

But nice catch. Fixed.

March 7th 2013

no problem the pos is from me if you didn't already pick up on that lol

March 7th 2013

Lol i assumed as much. Man this almost has as many comments as my last review. And i actually liked that review

March 7th 2013

Hey, this is still a good review!

You summed it up pretty well despite your "lack of experience", this band has a lot of potential once they manage to crack the song-writing, though I didn't find Law & Order as bad as you, it's alright if you consider the tongue-in-cheek factor.
Their next album is a lot better and I'ma review it but I needed someone to do the other one ;).
Shame, their 3rd album is absolute shite, just a group of guys pissing about for 50 minutes...

March 7th 2013

WEll i'm glad you enjoy the review. lol

but nope.. even with the tongue in cheek factor i can't get passed the terrible rapping lol

March 7th 2013

Meh I didn't think it was that bad, better than a lot of mainstream rappers I've heard...

"this almost has as many comments as my last review"

Get used to it when you review such obscure music... ;)

March 7th 2013

Well i tend to shy away from mainstream rappers as much as possible, even though it's constantly being blared by the 19 year old white guys at my suburban wisconsin college lol

But yeah. I'll get used to it. Maybe i'll review something super famous next

i can't stand most rap

March 7th 2013

Same here. Occasionally i'll spin illmatic lol

March 7th 2013

Jay Z pisses me off. He mumbles down a microphone about his "bitches" and earns millions.

March 7th 2013

A lot of rapper mumble the word bitch and make millions.

Ecnalzen
March 7th 2013

This has rapping in it? Gross and surprising. The only thing that I can stand that has any form of rapping in it is Gorillaz.

March 7th 2013

it's funny cause i actually like tech n9ne and a lot of people can't stand him.

March 7th 2013

A lot of my friends love him. They think he's like the most badass guy alive

dang is this quee

Digging: Deniro Farrar - The Patriarch II

lol what?

@atrink,

lol his ryhmes are fun but he's so cocky and annoying sometimes. and i live in spokane washington and he comes here all the time he even mentions it in a song lmao

March 9th 2013

@Captain This is indeed some crazy shit but it deserves some attention.