Maroon 5
Overexposed

1.5
very poor

by Green Baron USER (113 Reviews)
March 7th, 2013 | 21 replies

Review Summary: Maroon 5: The Sellout Songs

It's hard to believe that, just a few years ago, Maroon 5 could be considered rock. Sure, their music always had pop influences, but songs like "She Will Be Loved" or "Harder to Breathe" could easily be dubbed as rock songs. Now, ten years after their debut Songs About Jane, all of Maroon 5's rock has been stripped, leaving nothing but pop.

After 2011's wildly successful number-one hit "Moves Like Jagger", Maroon 5 realized that success could easily come to them if they just made a straight-out pop song and added a guest singer, Christina Aguilera. Although it may have completely erased all of Maroon 5's rock roots, it saved their third album, Hands All Over, which didn't sell as well as either of their first two albums. Clearly, a sellout track worked for them, so why not have an entire sellout album? The entire album is just like "Moves Like Jagger" - pop songs with essentially nothing but Levine on them. Look no further than lead single "Payphone" (which should have came with a b-side entitled "Walkman"). It's a pop song, and no one will doubt it. Levine's nasally vocals dominate the whiny chorus, in which he realizes that "fairy tales are full of shit". Maroon 5's lyrics have never been their strongest point, but they've never been this bad.

The album's strongest songs are its first two singles: "Payphone" and "One More Night", both of which have catchy verses and hooks. The same can't be said for the rest of the album. Many of the songs are just boring and dull, such as "Beautiful Goodbye" and "Daylight" or just plain unmemorable, like "Doin' Dirt" or "Tickets". Maroon 5 have always had a knack for catchy hooks and memorable choruses, but nothing on this album is memorable besides from the two opening tracks.

Maroon 5's main problem is that they are not Maroon 5 anymore. They have become Adam Levine (and 4 other guys). His vocals have never been impressive to me, but the fact that they based an entire album around Adam Levine's whiny singing is just unforgivable. Maybe they just did it for the popularity, or maybe Levine took over the entire band and forced them to make him the leading band member. I can't find a single damn place in the entire album where Mickey Madden, James Valentine, Matt Flynn or P.J. Morton made anything special. Oh wait, that's because they didn't do anything at all on this album. Maroon 5 have a serious problem going on, and until someone other than Adam Levine does something significant in this band, Maroon will do nothing but gradually go downhill.

Dream Theater When Dream and Day UniteTrain Bulletproof Picasso
BABYMETAL BabymetalJimmy Eat World Clarity
The Offspring Summer NationalsRoyal Blood Royal Blood
1.8
poor
Joel Hargreaves (1.5)
Songs About Success......

Nathan Flynn CONTRIBUTOR (1.5)
Maroon 5 moves like Levine on its 4th album. Unfortunately, it's all in the wrong direction....

Azn.
March 6th 2013

The same type of thing happened to Train
ugh it's disgusting

nice review though, have a pos

Gwyn.

'One More Night' is awesome

the rest is fucking lol

Limoncello
March 6th 2013

Nice review sir, you deserve a pos. Well written, and your points are well justified.

March 6th 2013

Train did sell out, yeah, but really they've always sucked, just not this badly.

Actually, exact same thing applies to these guys too.

Digging: Jon Hopkins - Immunity

Green Baron

20000 Comments

Songs About Jane was pretty good, I'll give them that.

March 6th 2013

I liked a few songs from that. That's about it.

chesse13
March 6th 2013

this love has taken it's toll on me

Digging: iamthemorning - Belighted

love that song

SlMBOLlC
March 6th 2013

wow this sucks? thanks for letting me know i had no idea

Green Baron

20000 Comments

I'M AT A PAYPHONE IN THE 1990S ALONG WITH MY WALKMAN AND GAMEBOY TOO!

multicore

pos

March 6th 2013

This album is pretty bad yeah

Digging: Alt-J - This Is All Yours

NightmareCinema16

2016 Comments

Yeah, this is pretty blast...in other words, just plain bad.

joshieboy12345
March 7th 2013

That payphone song was on the radio non-stop for weeks, my ears bled each time l heard it.

toxin.
March 7th 2013

great review pos also hate all you want but maroon 5's old stuff was rock solid yea

sithlord416
March 7th 2013

Their first two albums were actually really good. This isn't anywhere close.

Digging: The Pains of Being Pure at Heart - Days of Abandon

Spec
March 7th 2013

Doubt he's ever used a pay phone.

thricearereallybad

Worst vid I've seen for 30 years

dmp3131
March 7th 2013

Catchy album, but really bad. Almost every song is forgettable and just blah. The best song is a bonus track.

tmagistrelli
March 7th 2013

I am probably the only one that sees this as decent. granted, I never liked his voice, I felt is was best suited for pop music.