Deadmau5
4x4=12

by housegeek23 USER (7 Reviews)
March 7th, 2013 | 43 replies | 1,162 views

Review Summary: The mathematics aren't important, what's surrounding it at the moment is.

If I could describe "4x4=12" to you in maybe a sentence I'd say that "4x4=12 is, beside the mau5 struggling a bit with his Maths, an ace album that is unique, complex, all around different and good-sounding because of that, but still tied in with the old ideas as well as the new ones.

With the disappointment(or at least I was disappointed) of "For Lack of A Better Name", Joel Zimmerman makes up for all of that(besides Strobe) with a kick-ass Progressive House, Electro and dubstep album. The album starts out with a killer opener, "Some Chords" much like his Progressive House style known for in his last two albums. The track, is hard going, banging and just all around progressive, a great opener, with a few wubs as well. The next four tracks, however, are a completely different story. I don't think that deadmau5 is lacking when it comes to thinking outside his comfort zone, because that is definitely not the case. "SOFI Needs A Ladder" is unlike any of his tracks he has produced before, for the better, might I add. With a killer hook, bass and some awesome vocals, It's dirty, like dubstep dirty, it's not progressive, it's loose. The next three tracks follow in a similar fashion. Loads of bass, loose drums...I think the mau5 has moved away from the progressive house scene now and it looks GOOD. These tracks are BANG on. They have lots of dubstep basslines and deep wubs which is honestly not the last of it, because there is even more ahead. "I Said" starts to move away from this electro/dub scene, which is by the way the first edit of his song, "Arguru". This track is like the original and anything you have heard on RAT, so it's not like he has moved away from the pro/house scene TOTALLY yet. "Cthulhu Sleeps" is back on this electro/dub road. Deep, emotion-filled synths and dirty bass wubs with progressive drums. "Right This Second" is the best Pro/house track on the album, as it goes back to this, proof of the variety there is on this album. Dotty synths and a smooth hook.

"Raise Your Weapon" and "One Trick Pony" prepare you are bring for dirtyness. You THINK in the beginning that Raise Your Weapon will be a house song, but it's not, after a sweet piano and a few drums, it turns into this epic dubstep wrath of a song, with One Trick Pony in the same fashion, but just going right into a dub song. "Everything Before" is a a pro/house song and ALMOST a bad ending, but it's not, well, whatever, the selection of songs on this album just make it good.

This is my fave mau5 album, for variety and sound, plus it is better than the ear-crap that is ">Album Title Goes Here<".

Deadmau5 For Lack of a Better NameDeadmau5 Random Album Title
Deadmau5 >album title goes here<Knife Party Rage Valley
Skrillex BangarangDaft Punk Human After All
3.3
Will Forest (4.5)
On top of "House", the mau5 makes an unbelievable performance few can appreciate to the highest abil...

Deviant STAFF (3.5)
Dodgy math equations aside, Deadmau5 has managed to work out the answer for continued success, but i...

Mookid

deadmau5 is extremely overrated

Digging: Trophy Scars - Never Born, Never Dead

housegeek23

But he is good.

dupuisj8
March 6th 2013

Loved the shit out of this album even though deadmau5 isn't always the best.

March 6th 2013

Also the review reads very choppy and there are many errors strewn around

I'm gonna have to neg

Aids
March 6th 2013

"all around different and good-sounding because of that"

hahaha there must be a less terrible way of wording that

Insurrection

20650 Comments

Sorry but this review is godawful

Digging: Fallujah - The Flesh Prevails

I effing hate deadmau5

I can't see why he's adored at all, really

WashboardSuds
March 6th 2013

yea don't like this peep

mindleviticus

Curse.

Just how "good-sounding" is this

breakingthefragile

"ear-crap"

Digging: Glassjaw - Everything You Ever Wanted To Know...

ewww

joshieboy12345
March 7th 2013

How can a dead mouse sound good in the first place?

Digging: Rise Against - The Black Market

clercqie

Lol

Guessing this is kind of a troll review, because if not, then you seriously need to work on your writing skills.

Anyways, this album is far from being better than RAT or FLOABN.

Digging: Shackleton - Deliverance Series No. 1

toxin.

12021 Comments

great review pos

breakingthefragile
March 7th 2013

God damn you toxin you will pay for your crimes

ButteryBiscuitBass

ok.

March 7th 2013

"Deadmau5 was awesome on random album title & for lack of a better name but he just got lazy from then on"

He's always been lazy
and bad

mindleviticus
March 7th 2013

Clearly you haven't listened to them then because anyone who had actually listened to it would probably not be saying that