Saves the Day
Daybreak

by toxin USER (20 Reviews)
March 3rd, 2013 | 49 replies

It’s a shame that since writing two seminal works in the pop-punk/emo genre, Chris Conley has released nothing groundbreaking with Saves the Day. The loss of Eben D’Amico’s extraordinary basswork surely contributed to the commercial and influential decline of the New Jersey fourpiece, but the biggest draw of the band had always been Conley anyways. Unfortunately, both vocally and lyrically, Conley has seen better days. It seems that as the timbre of Conley’s voice steadily rises, interest in Saves the Day concurrently wanes. Perhaps more importantly, his pretty yet precise lyricism has vaporized, leaving behind hollow sentiments dressed up in deceptive metaphors. Thus, it comes as a surprise to nobody that the last installment of an apparent trilogy, Daybreak, was released with little fanfare and even less impact.

Ten years before this release, Conley likely never would have needed to draw inspiration from Orwell’s 1984 in his songwriting, but on the off chance that he did it anyways, anything less than a fresh take on overused “big brother” concepts would have been unthinkable. Yet Daybreak’s ‘1984’ is a thoroughly uninteresting affair, marked by lazy Green Day-sized guitars and lackluster lyrics. There’s a late-song surge that attempts to redeem the song, but Conley’s uninspiring “I need you/ I need your love” drains the song of its momentum. And so it is with the rest of the album. A five-part suite, the potentially standout opener contains strong second and fourth sections that are hampered by a laid-back, almost early-era Maroon 5 sounding third section. In the otherwise incredibly solid closer, Conley’s nasally, high-pitched voice clashes with the prominent guitarwork, thus robbing the song of any redemptive value it otherwise contained. In fact, the album’s strongest effort, the dreamy 'Chameleon,' features a soft-rock tone completely removed from the band’s punk roots. The gentle, if at times dissonant, instrumentation suits Conley’s voice much better than any other track here, perhaps a sign that Saves the Day should ditch the power and punk in their pop completely.

But ultimately, Daybreak is an album that leaves me wondering if Chris Conley’s river of emotion has run dry. The sentiments and the metaphors are still there, but without the sincerity that made his earlier work so compelling, the lyricism is lacking and even laughable. It’s perhaps more attributable to his voice change than his emotion, but in Daybreak Conley never has the convincing delivery that poignantly nailed potentially cliched or sappy sentiments in better years. Combine this with his poor vocal performance on upbeat tracks that no longer paint vivid stories and the result is a record that fails to make any impression at all. Considering Daybreak is the end of a trilogy, now may be a logical stopping point for Saves the Day, with only Conley the remaining member from the band’s heyday anyways. If the best the group can come up with is mediocrity, then perhaps it’s for the best.

Midas Fall WildernessOneRepublic Native
Yellow Red Sparks Yellow Red SparksLudovico Einaudi In a Time Lapse
Jimmy Eat World FuturesNevertheless Live Like We're Alive

sup guys.
short review on a disappointing release since i had time. this needed to be reviewed, honestly, so there.

feel free to disagree, sputnik and your 3.7 average rating

fromtheinside

19029 Comments

dude toxin safe to say is who you're wanting in your life man. trust me

Digging: Ibex Throne - Ibex Throne

20063 Comments

"Chris Conley has released nothing groundbreaking with the Saves the Day"

either just Saves the Day or the band Saves the day ;)

good review you did a good job backing up your points. i enjoy this more than daybreak and sound the alarm but still not as much as their old stuff. pos'd

Digging: Trophy Eyes - Mend, Move On

March 3rd 2013

"dude toxin safe to say is who you're wanting in your life man. trust me"
Whatttt?

nice catch Atari, that's just a major fail on my part. I listened to a few songs of In Reverie and a
few songs of the one after that, but nothing from Under the Boards.

And I'm not sure what you mean considering this is Daybreak. do you like this or Under the Boards

20063 Comments

"that's just a major fail on my back"

everybody makes spelling errors or grammar mistakes from time to time lol.

oops yeah i meant under the boards. i like this better than that one

March 3rd 2013

definitely meant "major fail on my part"
I'm just going to chalk this up to me being pretty tired.

Anyways what'd you like from here? I found there to be quite a few moments that'd have been great if it weren't for Conley's voice. It's weird that I praised what's basically 103.5 material (in SoCal 103.5 is the soft rock/pop station) but Chameleon is the only song that I thought was done really well.

20063 Comments

the title track and deranged & desparate are 2 of my favorites but i haven't heard this for a while.

March 3rd 2013

ah the title track definitely has some great moments. I feel like Deranged & Desperate was my single
least favorite track on here, though every track with one letter for a title except z was pretty poor
as well.

20063 Comments

yeah it's like 10 minutes and kind of sounds like 3 different songs but still flows pretty well. i do find a lot of the other tracks boring though so agreed with you there.

March 3rd 2013

i'm pretty sure it's 5-parts but yeah agreed. Just couldn't dig the Maroon 5-y section. I don't even dislike early era Maroon 5 but it was just weird hearing it come from this band

fromtheinside

19029 Comments

yeah check em out bandcamp style

Cygnatti
March 3rd 2013

I like opening and closing tracks.

Digging: Autechre - Chiastic Slide

theacademy

shit when did this leak

Xtoxin?

Digging: Damien Rice - My Favourite Faded Fantasy

Leak? It's 2 years old lol

Yotimi
March 3rd 2013

they had the same line-up for Through Being Cool, SWYA, and In Reverie and things just clicked. Conley's lost without Eben and the new drummer doesn't add much to the sound. Plus "Let It All Go" is so terrible - worst song they've done

Digging: Sand Circles - Motor City

March 3rd 2013

"yeah check em out bandcamp style"
ahhh alright, sweet man I'll check them out. I was thinking you were using "safe to say"
idiomatically which made no sense.

@acad, yeah what Atari said. I was surprised it had no reviews.

@Yotimi, definitely. In Reverie isn't too much my thing (maybe the major label influence idk) but
there was definitely chemistry there. I actually thought the new guitarrist was pretty good at times
here, but even then, there were no subtle guitar licks or anything. I remember Let It All Go was a
complete snoozer but I'm not sure about worst song ever. I'd have to give the two albums before
this a complete listen.

@SS,
yup I got a name change! I miss you, where have you been : (

March 3rd 2013

I've been suffering through the joys of being a new teacher, which in my case includes waking up at 4:45 a.m., driving 1.5 hrs each way, and usually not getting home until after 8 p.m. (lesson planning is a bitch). I miss this place hopefully I'll make a comeback in the summer.

Nice to see a good reviewer still around. How've things been?

Yotimi
March 3rd 2013

I wouldnt say in reverie had a major label influence. They pretty much let them do what they want and then dropped them right after it was released

March 3rd 2013

Oh wow, you're a teacher? Congrats! I get the feeling you'll be an awesome one! 15+ hour workdays sounds brutal though. That really explains why you haven't been active recently. But what's with the 90 minute commutes? I assume that early in the morning it's not traffic.

And thanks for the kind words! If you mean on Sputnik, it's more or less the same as always. I can't deny that I don't really come to Sputnik for music or reviewing anymore. I only review for the sake of keeping my writing sharp. If you mean my life personally, well I myself have been really busy with schoolwork (but nothing is as brutal as your schedule). I find myself on Sputnik a lot more simply because there are 30-45 minute gaps in my schedule during which I just unwind. So all in all I'm doing alright, maybe a bit disappointed that college hasn't been that exciting time that I'll look back at fondly, but it's nothing too much to complain about.