Bring Me the Horizon
Sempiternal

good

by G.M.B. USER (18 Reviews)
March 2nd, 2013 | 2287 replies | 138,487 views

Release Date: 04/01/2013 | Tracklist

Review Summary: Bring Me the Horizon try some new things, with mixed results.

I hold the notion that, whether successful or not, experimentation is always a good thing. Sure, there are experiments that can turn out horribly, (like that one time you decided to play with bottle rockets when you were five,) but that's to be expected. The true brilliance and benefits to experimentation lie in the fact that doing so prevents stagnation, which can be a killer to just about anything, and music is no exception to this rule. So that's why whenever a band or artist decides to try something new, I'm always intrigued and encouraged to listen despite how I feel about them previously. And I'll admit, when I read that Bring Me the Horizon of all groups were going to tackle some post-rock influences in their upcoming album Sempiternal, well, that was all I needed to delve in.

So how did Bring Me the Horizon's little experiment with post-rock and metalcore turn out? Well, truth be told, it's surprisingly not bad. While there aren't too many post-rock influences found here, I myself can't deny that the English quintet tried to something different, and they came out with some damn solid results. "and the Snakes Start to Sing" and "Hospital for Souls" are by and far the best tracks the band has put out to date, and show that Bring Me the Horizon can indeed craft some great songs when they set their minds to it. The former is a track void of most of their root metalcore sound, and instead vouches for an electronically layered sound, and showcases Oli Sykes' new and greatly improved vocal style. "Hospital for Souls" is perhaps the most post-rock influenced track on Sempiternal. Simply put, it showcases all the improvements the band have made since their inception in one neat 6 and a half minute package, and truly shows that Bring Me the Horizon do in fact have potential to do something great.

The other nine tracks? Well, they're either hit or miss. Opener "Can You Feel My Heart" sets a fairly good tone, only to be ruined by "The House of Wolves," a song that offers absolutely nothing new or interesting. "Sleepwalking" features some of Oli's best moments on the album, further exhibiting his progression as a vocalist. And then there's "Anti-vist," an absolutely terrible track which seems only to be present to appeal to fans of the band's older material. It also has some of the worst lyrics on the album, the opening line containing the gem "Middle fingers up if you don't give a fuck," although one must still admit that Oli has come a long way from lines such as "so why don't you just fuck yourself you fucking whore."

At the end of the day, Bring Me the Horizon has progressed and become better as a whole, but really, they still have a long way to go. In fact, their biggest problem seems to be inconsistency. Sempiternal has some damn good tracks, and some damn bad ones too. They have, however, shown that they are capable of ascending beyond stereotypes that they've shown in the past, and when all is said and done, even if not everything they tried here worked, you have to commend them for trying. In a scene where Bring Me the Horizon play roles somewhat of poster boys, they've differentiated themselves slightly from the rest of the horde, and, perhaps with a bit more tweaking and modifying, they just may surprise us one day.

Letlive. The Blackest BeautifulThe Dear Hunter The Color Spectrum Live
Made In Heights APORIA: IN THESE STREETSJacco Gardner Cabinet of Curiosities
The Angels of Light We Are HimLindsey Stirling Lindsey Stirling

March 2nd 2013

In case a mod sees this and was unaware, a stream is up.

Digging: Mastodon - Once More 'Round the Sun

March 2nd 2013

Also, can't believe I'm the first to post a review for this.

If anybody sees glaring mistakes, inform me.

Havey
March 2nd 2013

nah dude you're not the first one, the previous reviews have all been taken down

the stream is a temporary one and apparently that doesn't count or something idk

Digging: Cecil Taylor - Dark to Themselves

March 2nd 2013

Really? That seems silly to me. But alas, I do not make the decisions.

March 2nd 2013

I understand that, but it's been posted by the band and a week is more than enough time to come up with a well informed opinion.

March 2nd 2013

Ah well, I've saved this so I guess I'll just post it when the time comes. Even if that means my review will drown in other reviews.

March 2nd 2013

I scanned the meds thread and somebody asked about the temp stream thing but there wasn't a response that I saw.

Somebody mentioned that that one review was a user's first so perhaps it was axed for quality.

I don't know, but hopefully this stays up.

all streams are temporary

they're only up for like two/one week max anyway.

fish.
March 2nd 2013

My guess is that there was a misunderstanding cos temporary streams not counting and rejecting reviews based on "quality" both sound dodgy to me, but I don't know.

Digging: Septicflesh - Communion

DatsNotDaMetulz
March 2nd 2013

Temporary streams of a week + are long enough for most people to hear it and form opinions.

Tyrael

20739 Comments

half of the album is good

the other half is gay

*opinions*

fish.

Only bad song is Anti Vist

LilLioness
March 2nd 2013

I am at Anti-vist (which I actually rather like) and my interpretation is a 3.5. It isn't quite great,
but it definitely is interesting.

The major fault of this record is that it doesn't do a fantastic job balancing the lighter elements
with the more aggressive bits.

pmmets07

review is correct.

DirEnRefused

LilLioness
March 2nd 2013

"One listen is enough to hear it and form an opinion. Is Sputnik now moderating initial impressions?"

Of course. It is not objective or something.

TheNexus100

shut up

shut up [2]

mindleviticus

still haven't listened

March 2nd 2013

Eh, it gets worse. I just changed it down to a 2.5. It's good for BMTH, but mediocre in comparison to decent music.