Odyssey (USA)
An Abstract Existence

by CaptainDooRight USER (93 Reviews)
March 1st, 2013 | 24 replies | 1,074 views

Review Summary: Perfect intrumental jazz/death progressive metal.

If you’ve stumbled across this review and saw the tag ‘instrumental’ and were immediately deterred, thinking this must be boring, then you are greatly mistaken. Although I can understand the immediate feelings of thinking an instrumental album is just lacking the depth an album with lyrics may have I can assure you that Odyssey breaks that chain more efficiently than any other instrumental death/jazz band I’ve ever heard. Hailing from Washington, this three piece phenomenon not only has the ability to attract almost any fan from any sub genre of metal, they also do it with unmistakably flying colors. Since their inception in 2007 they seem to have perfectly honed down their skills, creating a sound and style of music that is unlike no other. Rarely do you ever hear metal as exciting as you’re going to hear here. So how do they do it? Well, each member seems to have an innate desire and ability to push music as far as they can whilst making sure each moment is as captivating and well-flowing as possible. Yes, Odyssey are masters of creating perfect transitions, which for the typical music enthusiast, is one of the main foundations that creates successful albums.

In the realm of transitions, not only in track transitions but also mainly in song passage transitions, An Abstract Existence glides like an Olympic ice skater reaching for that perfect 10 score. Its opener, “Cellular Deconstruction”, begins with an immediate odd-timed jazz-metal riff that instantly gets you grooving on your feet. After going through a few evolutionary changes of progression that riff sequence drops to a smooth airy clean section as if were Cynic’s Focus blending into Traced in Air. Even, from time to time, a keyboard synth will jump in, adding just the right amount of light to a needed-developed section before resorting back to Odyssey’s formula of seamlessly blending plethora’s of riffs into a single meal; almost like an ice skater does during leaps and bounds, but yet, gracefully lands each time as if they were majestic swans. With these magnificent feats of showmanship, Odyssey never resorts to overly-flashy taggings just to past time or fit in with the in ‘crowd’. It seems each musical section is filled with purpose and emotion; even when solos rip your head off on tracks like on the opener and the title track.

Fans of Death, Cynic, Atheist, and even Opeth will most likely feel right at home here. Even though progressive metal and jazz metal may be tagged to Odyssey’s style, their riffs are most akin to death metal’s style; yet they blend each of the aforementioned styles like a young child’s impartiality to new unexplored territories. Some of the greatest moments on An Abstract Existence are found on the two closing tracks “Inputting a Binary Sequence” and the 19 minute “Quantum Symbiotic Inception”.”Inputting…” begins with airy Cynic-like clean riffs momentarily before jumping into Death/Atheist-like passages with tasty audible-backing bass riffs. The perfect balance of old and new production styles allows for each instrument to sound through with perfection while not leaving you feeling like what you’re hearing was overproduced to the point of trebly confusion; which is so prevalent in modern metal releases. The 19 minute closer, “Quantum Symbiotic Inception”, is the perfect track allowing each member to bring all their talents and skills together. The extravagant drumming metal/jazz style of Lukas Hilker always perfectly complements each segment. At times Lukas may be working the snare with blast beats or off-beat ghost notes akin to jazz techniques. The guitar work of Jerrick Crites is quite remarkable, being that he’s able to blend so many musical styles into one, making each track feel as if they were a culmination of one single style. I’m really beside myself because although this closing track is 19 minutes long it’s probably the most-enjoyable track on this record, feeling as if it were only a 5 minute song because of the ingenuity behind each moment. After reaching a climax of perfection the album closes out on a ‘finish strong’ sort of note which only leaves its listeners wondering what these guys can’t accomplish. If you even remotely like metal, death metal, jazz, progressive music, or the above mentioned bands, you absolutely need to hear/get this.

Dropped Flyer Electronic CigaretteAbacus Abacus
Van der Graaf Generator Pawn HeartsFinch (NL) Beyond Expression
Orwell AVOHFASIHAtomic Simao Nodo
4.8

Sweet a captain review

February 28th 2013

name your price/free download/full album stream:

I don't always five instrumental albums, but when I do, I 5 Odyssey

Digging: Deniro Farrar - The Patriarch II

thanks metal brother

Kong - Phlegm

It needs a sweet review to spread to the masses

February 28th 2013

just bookmarked it bro, listening to track one now and sounds chill so far

I'll def consider it.

February 28th 2013

Stockhouse is my favorite song from it

February 28th 2013

name your price - decent album man price your name

great review

February 28th 2013

@ Ovrot - yea that's a pretty sik track, its got a nice forward moving vibe to it with some random integral splurts, nice find

@ Mind- thanks bro, new avi is random but pree sik

avi?

also, how bout some album feedback, maybe my 5 isn't big enuff ;]

February 28th 2013

my new avatar is inko chan! this album is really good but it will take a while for it to be 5

dude wtf is that

yea I've been jamming for weeks now and it's worth coming back to allow it to grow. Glad u at least thought it was good for
the time being. I like albums like that though; ones that take time to sink in because of their level of density. But I wouldn't by
any means say this is overly dense in any way, though.

Jacquibim

Death Symbolic"

Well shit, how could I NOT like this? Excellent review too, pos m/

Digging: Howls of Ebb - Vigils of the 3rd Eye

March 1st 2013

It's inko chan man look it up

@ Jac - thanks bro yeah it's def swee hard

@ Mind - I did bro, that youtube link above was of Inko.

Voivod
March 1st 2013

Listening to this right now, the band is tight, but there other bands - Canvas Solaris is one good example - who are way better at this sound.

Digging: Mekong Delta - In A Mirror Darkly

March 1st 2013

I'm not sure if I've heard anything from Canvas Solaris, which album would you recommend I check out first. Also, that sucks they're not on bandcamp for an easy stream.

Glad you had a chace to check this bro.

YankeeDudel
March 1st 2013

listened a couple songs off this yesterday and it was ok. not close to a 5 but yea not bad. posd

Digging: Shape of Broad Minds - Craft of the Lost Art

Voivod
March 1st 2013

Start with their debut and go all the way up.

Canvas Solaris are far from an easy ride, though, I am amazed by their intellect, but their music is more complex than life itself.

March 1st 2013

yea I knew that everyone wouldn't agree with my rating but I've been listening to this for a while and feel pretty strongly about that rating. Hopefully it grows on you.

Thank for checking bro and the pos :]