Saintseneca

4.3

by Elijah K. STAFF
February 28th, 2013 | 32 replies

I remember how excited I was to see empire! empire! (I was a lonely estate) perform with The World is a Beautiful Place & I Am No Longer Afraid to Die some months ago. I mean, come on that’s a pretty great combination of bands, right? Much to their great misfortune, a little local folk band by the name of Saintseneca took to the stage first. But who cares about a quaint little act in the face of emo’s biggest heavy hitters? Sure, that was my thoughts as well. However, after their set I was instantly transfixed- dead set on devouring anything and everything of the band that had so captured my heart instantly. Luckily, Last was ripe for the picking; a must hear album that captures the dynamic band’s energy and ingenuity perfectly.

Saintseneca, despite their explosive and palpable energy, love to exercise subtlety. When every member is plucking away and crooning, it’s a beautiful and absorbing thing to behold. But it’s the little nuances that really make Last shine. The silence in “Beasts” is just as effective as the maddeningly cathartic tempo shifts in “The Worst Days.” All of this is able to be made thanks to some thoughtful songwriting and ingenious instrumentation. Acoustic guitar and many other stringed instruments are used throughout the album, with every member adding in their vocal work. But it’s Zac Little who truly shines. His weak yet confident, nerdy but rustic delivery is fantastically unique. There's little to no production magic to be heard, but the crisp and clean sound makes everything feel incredibly personal. Every strum and drum hit is perfectly audible and absolutely necessary. This converges into a one of a kind folky sound that is strikingly fresh but comfortingly familiar.

I could hand pick a few tracks and describe them ad nauseum, but it is much simpler to implore you to seek this album out and listen for yourself. Whether it is the bombastic “Acid Rain” or reserved title track, each piece is engaging in its own way. Last is simply a beautifully crafted and original work that begs to be heard.

Myrkur MPissgrave Suicide Euphoria
Cattle Decapitation The Anthropocene ExtinctionKronos Arisen New Era
Krallice Ygg HuurHowls of Ebb The Marrow Veil
ToastScience (5)
An amazing, heartfelt folk album. One of the best of its generation....

Dark Arc

First couple of sentences caught my attention for sure

nice concise review eli

really cool album cover

wacknizzle
February 28th 2013

I heard this was really good not long after it came out but I only listened to a song or two. Giving it another shot.

Digging: Gaul - Ancient Sanctuary

February 28th 2013

thought this woulda been a hanson review

record is awesome and needs more exposure

First couple of sentences caught my attention for sure

c'mon treb branch out a little bit. shouldn't have to name-drop E!E! to get you to listen.

Nice, Eli!

I see a few grammatical blips. I can act as Rachel if you'd like.

GiaNXGX
February 28th 2013

Nice review, I enjoyed reading it.

foxblood

will get

February 28th 2013

Alright, man. Very nice work overall; I dig the brevity.

"I mean, come on that’s a pretty great combination of bands, right?"

You should have a comma after "come on," but the sentence may even work better without the phrase.

"Sure, that was my thoughts as well."
*thought, since it's connected to "that."

"I was instantly transfixed- dead set on devouring anything and everything of the band that had so captured my heart instantly."

The dash should be a comma here.

"When every member is plucking away and crooning, it’s a beautiful and absorbing thing to behold."

The only thing about this is that it implies multiple musicians croon. Maybe that is what happens with this group, though.

"All of this is able to be made thanks to some thoughtful songwriting and ingenious instrumentation."

The first several words read really clunky, and it may help to have a comma after 'made.'

I've been looking through a lot of peoples' reviews lately, so I've gotten better at finding things. I hope I helped!

ethixx
February 28th 2013

glad to see this getting attention

Cygnatti
February 28th 2013

this interests me, should it?

Digging: Elysia Crampton - American Drift

yes most certainly

AtomicWaste
February 28th 2013

Sure, that was my thoughts
I saw Jacob got to this first, but you can just say "those were"." I think that'd work pretty well.

The dash should be a comma here.

You can actually keep the dash. They're somewhat transmutable, but the dash has more impact and it's more a personal choice than anything. I think the dash works better than a comma in this situation.

I'd just say reword it.

Other than that mumbo jumbo, I do like the succinctness of this review.

I don't know ma dashes, I sorry ='[

I actually meant to point out, though, that I think there should be a space before the dash.

Funeralopolis
February 28th 2013

I always remember this album when I walk past Seneca street.

Digging: Sugary Sweet Machines - Deformity Disco

pmmets07
February 28th 2013

damn the first track is awesome, i gotta get this

AtomicWaste

I don't know ma dashes, I sorry ='[

Haha, no worries. It's nice to see I'm not the only one throwing out some constructive tips here and there these days!

February 28th 2013

Yeah, man. I try to help out wherever I can. I've got a kind-of-editorial role over at MuzikDizcovery, which really helps with things like this.

TenSecondsToThink
March 1st 2013

Didn't think that you'd still review this. They really deserve more attention.

Iluvatar