Clint Mansell
Moon

by Guilherme Boldrin USER (15 Reviews)
February 27th, 2013 | 18 replies

Review Summary: Haunting and beautiful, just as living alone on the Moon

Clint Mansell is well known by his works as a soundtrack composer in Aron Aronofsky movies, being very good in what he does, especially when it comes to write themes that come all across the extension of the soundtrack, giving an atmosphere with some kind of paranoid touch in the movies he work. Perhaps that's the cause why he's so good in working with Aronofsky, a director that has as a principle thematic structure, journeys through persons obsessions and madness.

Moon is a Sci-Fi movie, directed by Duncan Jones, son from no less than David Bowie. The basic argument is about a man that works in the Moon, being in a future where there is interest in a way of making electric energy of the lunar soil. This man alone in the Moon with a 3 year job contract starts to become a little disturbed with its situation and begin to have hallucinations and acting in a strange way. His only company in the moon is a robot, which talks to him and take care of his problems. I think that's enough here to make a little impression of what is all about without spoiling the movie.

The music is very dark and ambient, with very subtle influences of classical piano, being “Welcome to Lunar Industries” the most varied music of the album, and also it's principal musical theme. Central to the whole album, it appear again and with little different characteristics through all the soundtrack. Clint Mansell brings a lot of influences, but what comes to my mind here is a mixture of the strangeness of an Erik Satie composition and a Trip Hop (in a more Massive Attack way) influence, with groovy beats very well settled in the end, what brings the real singular signature to this theme.

Another highlights of the album are the truly beautiful piano melody in “Memories (Someone We'll Never Know)”, and the fragile lullaby-like beginning of “We're Going Home”. The whole soundtrack is filled with noises and droning orchestral instrumentation that helps a lot to make the feeling of of lunar lonesomeness. It's very gray and dark as it has to be. There are scary moments, with strange noises and creepy winds, sonar pulses and a lot of details that help you feel some terror and little madness, but beautiful music too, as you can hear in “The Nursery” a really good orchestral slow song, sad and relaxing at the same time.

Apart of that, the music is always turning back to “Welcome to Lunar Industries” theme, and the scary thing, is that it just don't really feel tiresome. It goes on till the album finally end with a more longer version of the first track, leaving a sensation of a vicious circle that doesn't feel bad with the movie context and neither for a simple listen.
This a very good ambient album and a great soundtrack, and I think it's one of Clint Mansell's better compositions to listen out of the movie context, much more concise as an album than his work with "Requiem For A Dream" soundtrack for example. It can work if you want to relax, study, read a book or just listen to good music.

Bestial Mouths Bestial MouthsEsbjorn Svensson Trio Leucocyte
Selah Sue Selah SueBirds Of Passage Without The World
Mouse On The Keys An Anxious ObjectDead Elephant Thanatology

YankeeDudel
February 27th 2013

yea good soundtrack. very moony

Digging: Taj Mahal Travellers - August 1974

GiaNXGX
February 27th 2013

is this the day of Clint Mansell or some other shit, I call racism against Hans Zimmer.

zxlkho
February 27th 2013

I don't really remember the soundtrack, but this film was fucking incredible.

YankeeDudel

I just have the 1st song

oubli
February 27th 2013

"I don't really remember the soundtrack, but this film was fucking incredible."

Yeah, it's pretty awesome!

OmairSh

11917 Comments

Have to listen to this.

Digging: Nusrat Fateh Ali Khan - Mustt Mustt

Such a good movie

Digging: Bobby Barnett - Little Wounds

Hyperion1001
February 27th 2013

got the bluray gotta watch soon

Digging: Substance / Vainqueur - Reverberation / Reverberate

Captain North
February 27th 2013

Mansell is definitely my favourite composer

March 3rd 2013

I love the shit out of this movie. I think the first time I saw it was by myself and it was def every emotional. That Kevin Spacey robot!!!!

2001 >

Not as an emotional movie. :P

zakalwe

Great film - Fair Soundtrack
The Fountain - Fair film - Stunning soundtrack.

Digging: King Buzzo - This Machine Kills Artists

Not as an emotional movie. :P

beauty and monumentality > emotion

April 23rd 2013

Eh, sometimes monumentality can be overhyped. I really like 2001, but even it has its shortcomings.

April 23rd 2013

well monumentality in and of itself can be either good or bad, but the beauty DUDE

i mean dudette

April 23rd 2013

Besides, I am a bit ashamed, but I haven't seen all of 2001. Just the monolith part and the greatest moment in science fiction history.

Thank you.

SadAndHolyGlow
July 19th 2013

One of my favorite movies of all time, so I've got to listen to this. I have it in my room because I checked it out from the library, so I'll get on that.

Digging: The Khayembii Communique - The Khayembii Communiqu