Quadrupede
Quadrupede

by Eli EMERITUS
February 26th, 2013 | 27 replies

Release Date: 01/19/2013 | Tracklist

Not too often do I sit down with a record and become instantly transfixed, refusing to do anything else. But with Quadrupede that’s exactly what happened. It’s the little EP that could, combining the intensity of post rock with all the quirkiness of noise and beauty of electronics. Is it a mess? Why yes, yes it is. But it is an engrossing mess nonetheless; an extremely effective exploration of bombastic instrumentation with clever and unique songwriting.

Quadrupede are a little two piece math –rock/electronic outfit hailing from France. Their disparaging influences call to mind Kashiwa Daisuke, And So I Watch You From Afar, and 65daysofstatic. It’s an interesting whirlwind of electronics, wild percussion, and piano that works well because of the palpable energy present during each and every second. The record begins with a solemn guitar, leading into a very lovely but somewhat typical post-rock bridge. This does not hint at what is to come, but rapidly the layers become added and the “Judoka” blossoms into a starkly dramatic and unwieldy beast. Pianos and drum dance wildly in an almost ad lib fashion until glitchy flourishes lead the song into an explosive finish.

What is most impressive is how each of the three songs sound so distinct. “Burkina Faso” is completely different from the pack as it stands out as surprisingly “dance-like.” The tempo moves along deliberately as the listener struggles to keep up with the overwhelming layering. After that, “TMWIHTII” closes things out in a grandiose fashion. It works as an amalgam of everything presented up to that point, with plenty of stylistic shifts to show off the duo’s musical chops. At times sparse and beautiful while at others messy and cathartic, the song feels is a behemoth of a track and an incredible way to end the EP.

No matter your place on the musical spectrum, Quadrupede are well worth being on your radar. Their self-titled debut is a marvel of thoughtful and daring musicianship that attempts to bring together a world of instrumental music into one cohesive package. Luckily, it works very well and gets this reviewer excited for what the French duo have up their sleeves.

Antemasque AntemasqueGrouper Ruins

Xenophanes

It's free so get on it.

February 26th 2013

sounds interesting eli good looks

Digging: Dean Blunt - Black Metal

February 26th 2013

excellent rev, I love this section:

"The record begins with a solemn guitar, leading into a very lovely but somewhat typical post-rock bridge. This does not hint at what is to come, but rapidly the layers become added and the “Judoka” blossoms into a starkly dramatic and unwieldy beast. Pianos and drum dance wildly in an almost ad lib fashion until glitchy flourishes lead the song into an explosive finish."

listening to track one right now and I'm enjoying it quite a bit, the drums are excellent.

February 26th 2013

"become added" reads kind of weird though

YourDarkAffected

I like this a lot

Aids
February 26th 2013

definitely sounds like something I'd be into. Thanks for bringing it to my attention.

Digging: Marketa Irglova - Muna

YourDarkAffected
February 26th 2013

wow, that listen was nothing short of an amazing experience

February 26th 2013

album cover and review both rule

Omaha
February 26th 2013

65animalsonartwork is an influence, you say?

LilLioness
February 26th 2013

Not sure I wanna fuck with this (at least anytime soon). I am already backlogged.

SpritzSpritz
February 26th 2013

this is awesome. great review

ProjectFreak
February 26th 2013

good review, listening to it now and it seems just weird enough to work

SgtPepper
February 27th 2013

That was a pretty good listen, it's 3 songs but very elaborate throughout. 'TMWIHTII' was probably my favourite of the three. Good review, as always.

oubli

This is totally amazing.

Tyrael

20947 Comments

Hmm

Your post-rock quality detector seems to have been broken for quite a while now but I'll get on this because I appreciate the effort you put into your work

Digging: Azealia Banks - Broke With Expensive Taste

Winsomniac
February 27th 2013

http://qdrpd.bandcamp.com/album/quadrup-de is the link that worked for me; yours gave me only an error and moment of panicked despair.

Checking this out now, I post-rock.

Digging: Submotion Orchestra - Alium

Asdfp277
February 27th 2013

why can't people just see the ? is it that hard to spot?

zaruyache
February 27th 2013

What "?"?? Clearly, if I have no idea what you're talking about.

Digging: Sleepytime Gorilla Museum - In Glorious Times