The Black Dahlia Murder
Nocturnal

by Samuel Mclean USER (7 Reviews)
February 26th, 2013 | 41 replies | 1,079 views

Release Date: 2007 | Tracklist

Review Summary: This album is heralded by many as the magnum of opus of the US melodic death metal effort The Black Dahlia Murder ..... and for good reason.

..... and for good reason.

Many will notice the continuing Gothenburg sound, but as some will point out as well, this album has a unique blend of some black metal sound being tossed into the mix as an interesting spice. This can likely be heard on tracks such as "To a Breathless Oblivion".

This album is filled with heavy melodies from the dual guitars, they harmonize together extremely well and it's very hard not to like it.
Trevor Strnad continues his effective blend of high-screams and guttural grunts that make this band such a pleasure to listen to. His lyrics though are extremely good, the twisted poetry used within is highly effective, conjuring nightmarish imagery that you will love to visualize (or not) as the songs go on.

The highlights of this album are notably; What a Horrible Night to Have a Curse, Deathmask Divine and To a Breathless Oblivion (which is my favourite of the album)

Those songs capture the essence of this band in an extremely good way, poetic vitriol, relentless drums and guitars, and amazing work all round.

Bass we can't hear, but in the metal scene this is becoming something commonplace, so that's not as big of an issue. I'm fairly certain it is somewhere.

The drums, yes, Shannon Lucas is the drummer on this album (formerly of All that Remains) and he does not dissapoint either. And those of you who are fans of him, should by now know exactly why.

If I wanted to sum up the best moment of the album, it would be the chorus of To a Breathless Oblivion.
Just ***in' read these lyrics and put it on.

"Beyond those cursed stars above, lies the answer that I seek
On the backs of bullets rides my name, longing to kiss my cheek
Resentfully decline, retire this hated life
Without guilt I break these veins, carved with salvation's knife"

That's all.
Buy this album.
You will not be disappointed with it.
Do it now.
Enjoy yourself for a night of nocturnal blight.

Whitechapel This Is ExileKorn Life Is Peachy
Slipknot IowaNaglfar Teras
Ne Obliviscaris Portal of IWhitechapel The Somatic Defilement
DespisedIcon621 (4)
All in all, this is an excellent release, fans of the modern day extreme music scene will like this,...

Micheal Scarn (5)
The defining album for a band struggling so hard to define themselves. Well worth a listen....

ThyCrossAwaits (4.5)
Cannibal Corpse Meets the Wolfman...

Luke M. Jenkins (Confessed) (4)
Nocturnal takes everything that makes The Black Dahlia Murder unique and interesting and multiplies ...

Jalix

And I am finally back.

I'm going to be as impersonal as I can since my previews reviews got a lot of shit because I was an insufferable cunt.

February 26th 2013

If I hadn't heard this album I would know nothing about it.
You've barely said anything about it, apart from that the guitars are melodic.

That's all.
This is a bad review.
I am disappointed with it.

February 26th 2013

Okay going to be blunt here, but I think you can take it:

Black metal? This needs explaining. As for the description of "tossing in as an interesting spice". It doesn't add a lot to your description, and as a chef I know just how this has been misused.

Um... What? Try rewording and actually plan out your sentences. Try: "The vocalists lyrics are well presented, utilising a form of twisted poetry that works well with the music. Conjuring a nightmare-ish imagery that the listener will love to visualise throughout the record."

Rather than having a one sentence paragraph, try incorporating why you think these specific songs are a highlight. Include descriptions and don't be afraid to add the why...

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
More to Come.

and

Again, one sentence is NOT a paragraph.

In all honesty, this review needs a lot of work. Adding in lyrical excerpts does not really take the place of opinion, especially when they are not backed up in any way. I didn't vote one way or the other by the way.

Jalix
February 26th 2013

Aye, I am fully aware that I didn't elaborate much into this as it is a straight copy-paste from my Encyclopedia Metallum review, much better suited to EM anyway.

I'll likely redo this, as I haven't slept for 2 days and lacked the creative drive needed for this album.
The criticism is welcomed and appreciate guys.

February 26th 2013

The criticism is welcomed and appreciate guys.

In that case, I have a bone to pick with this. Edit, than post. If you haven't slept for a couple of days; sleep, edit than post. It's not good enough to put a half-arsed attempt online than expect the Sputnik user-base to eat it up.

The review is still "insufferable". Sleep, try again tomorrow. When you do, throw a link in my shoutbox and we'll see just how much things can improve. Don't be afraid to ask for help.

February 26th 2013

Keep in mind, I'm not calling you out, nor am I trying to actively be a dick. If you're serious about writing some decent reviews, the only direction you can go is up.

Ipod you just wrote than 3 times in that comment when you mean then ;-]

Also how the hell do you indent sentences like that?!

February 26th 2013

same way you bold (and i just noticed that lol - I still stand by the fact that the rest of it was spot on.

For:

this is in the middle

Write without spaces of course; [ quote] this is in the middle [ /quote ]

Glad I could help out with something.

sixdegrees
February 26th 2013

yeah I was always wondering that myself, sweet

Digging: Tam Tam - Polarize

Tick; : ] help out members of the userbase lol

Thank you, finally!
I knew it was some code, but I wasn't quite sure what to put in there!

February 26th 2013

Go on try it : ] it'll make you feel special

...please work, please work

it'll make you feel special

SgtPepper
February 26th 2013

I haven't heard this in a while but "To A Breathless Oblivion", "Warborn", "Virally Yours" and "Of Darkness Spawned" are probably the best tracks from here.

February 26th 2013

Wait until you can do this

February 26th 2013

Holy crap, that made me laugh.

Fluttertrank

review is eh.

Digging: Xanthochroid - Blessed He With Boils

SgtPepper

@Ipod
Oh yeah? Well, wait until you can do this. (Look up at my rating)

February 26th 2013

That's not fair, you could at least do mine.