Odious Mortem
Cryptic Implosion

by Andrew Gold CONTRIBUTOR (59 Reviews)
February 26th, 2013 | 22 replies | 1,756 views

Release Date: 2007 | Tracklist

Review Summary: Cryptic Implosion epitomizes everything a technical death metal album should be.

There are a countless number of excellent bands in all genres that release consistently excellent albums one after another, but usually something holds these albums back from being truly phenomenal. Sometimes it’s the production; sometimes it’s a hiccup in songwriting ability; other times they might’ve just forgotten what made them good in the first place. But every once in a while comes a band that gets everything right with one album – perfect production, superb songwriting, and a thoroughly impressive statement in whatever genre it may be, and in the world of technical death metal that’s exactly what Odious Mortem achieved with their 2007 release Cryptic Implosion.

Technical death metal isn’t the most accessible of genres to begin with; blisteringly fast riffs and blast beats topped off with low guttural vocals, but Odious Mortem managed to take these stereotypes to the next level on Cryptic Implosion. The blisteringly fast riffs have copious amounts of melody within them, and the drum work as a whole is absolutely jaw dropping. He does fills in all the right places without sounding too overbearing and ultimately follows and compliments the guitar work to a T (e.g. ‘Nux Vomica’s stop-and-start bridge section). Oddly enough the bass has its time to shine as well, which is pretty rare in a death metal if your bassist isn’t Steve DiGiorgio. Track-pick ‘Domain in the Eternal Paradox’ has a morose bass break near the end which leads into a passage of wonderfully eerie and intertwining melodic guitar leads, taking you away from the brutality for a few moments before slowly fading out into nothing.

If there’s anything negative I could say about Cryptic Implosion, it would be that it’s almost too much of the same. On their own, any track on this album can hold its own against Cryptopsy's and Suffocation's best work, but viewing the album as one piece of music can be quite overwhelming to some. The tracks tend to bleed into each other, and since they’re all so technical all the time, with the exception of ‘Domain in the Eternal Paradox’s outro, it can be a challenge to sit through the whole thing in one sitting. Thankfully at only 35 minutes, Cryptic Implosion never overstays its welcome, and for all the death metal veterans out there, the consistency with each song shouldn’t be an issue. In fact its this consistency and technical proficiency in Cryptic Implosion that epitomizes everything tech death should be, and it ultimately shows that in the grand scheme of things, Odious Mortem are not to be fucked with.

Recommended Tracks
- Fragmented Oblivion
- The Endless Regression of Mind
- Domain of the Eternal Paradox

Green Day DemoliciousLacuna Coil Broken Crown Halo
Neuraxis ImageryRingworm Hammer of the Witch
Creepoid CreepoidMudvayne Lost and Found
Kakaroti (4)
“CRYPTIC IMPLOSION” is a high end technical achievement that does not fall short. The music is v...

Fragmented Oblivion - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zdx1oLZurkc

The Endless Regression of Mind - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F_u6maFN_CA

Domain of the Eternal Paradox - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qEG75gxEJD0

Digging: Cult Leader - Nothing for Us Here

Jacquibim
February 25th 2013

Good review, but I don't think the songwriting on this is all that great really.

Digging: Howls of Ebb - Vigils of the 3rd Eye

19528 Comments

A bit of an overstatement maybe but each song is incredibly consistent. And that's hardly worth a neg

I didn't neg you.

I don't neg people on their opinions. You're a decent writer, but you gotta cut down hyperbolic statements like that man, there's at least one in every review you write. As always, I won't pos or neg.

Jacquibim
February 25th 2013

The songs are consistent to a fault, and are practically indistinguishable apart from the tracks with solos. Plenty of tech-bands have written better songs and overall albums than this.

19528 Comments

Well that goes without saying

19528 Comments

Anyway Michael you should check this out

February 26th 2013

I already have. I've known about this for a few years now.

Rate?

like a 3.2 or something.

19528 Comments

Fair enough. Fixed that sentence btw

Goddamnit ghost negs. Why do you exist

I'll pos.

And at least you don't get skele negging every new review you post with 5+ accounts. Seriously, I posted a review last night and skele commented and neg'd it on 5 different accounts. It also doesn't help that every few weeks he gets on about 20 accounts and negs every single one of my reviews.

19528 Comments

To be fair I don't think he likes you

February 26th 2013

I don't think that really justifies it. Plus, it's just a massive waste of time on his behalf.

19528 Comments

Lol I was being facetious. Yeah that's pretty ridiculous but what can you do

Funeralopolis
February 26th 2013

skele is scum, gonna go pos all your reviews snox

Digging: Silversun Pickups - Carnavas

19528 Comments

More people need to hear this

SuicidalPrincess