Astronautalis
This Is Our Science

by Nathan Taft USER (24 Reviews)
February 26th, 2013 | 26 replies

Review Summary: “Touch fire, just to taste the truth”

Astronautalis is a bit unconventional when it comes to musical style. While most bands spend the majority of their careers struggling to master just a single genre, Astronautalis has already become fluent in more than one. But perhaps more importantly, he is able to coalesce his styles of choice - including but not limited to, rap, indie/alternative/talk rock, and electronica - into a cohesive package that begs to be listened to over and over again.

“This Is Our Science” is the fourth album from the Minnesotan poet, and easily his most accessible. Not because Astronautalis is conforming his music to a more generic and bland format like many bands do after not seeing commercial success early on. Rather it’s because he’s become so good at genre bending that the listener is no longer jarred, even a little bit, when he deftly shifts styles.

But what I haven’t begun to get into is the fact that on top of all I just described, Andrew Bothwell is a phenomenal lyricist as well, painting pictures with words of everything from historical fiction, to philosophical struggles, to love won and lost. And because he has such a wide pallete of musical accompaniment to choose for his words, each and every song is crafted to enhance the emotional impact that Bothwell was going for.

While opening track “The River, The Woods” uses a mixture of tightly wound rap verses and passionately sung choruses to promise someone he loves that they will face the unknown together, second to last track “Life the Curse” is a slow-burning indie rock masterpiece that waits halfway through the song to explode into electronically driven nostalgic cry for a return to times past. Then in a completely different mood entirely, Astronautalis bellows like a southern preacher – a la Listener and Isaac Brock (Modest Mouse) in his crazier moments - to discuss the length that human beings will go to find the “thing to which we’re blind” or, as it’s more commonly referred to, the supernatural.

And it’s not just the tracks I mentioned above that stand out. Each and every song on this album has an emotional impact on the listener. Whether it’s Astronautalis working in tandem with Tegan Quin (Tegan and Sara) on the venomously told story about an ex during “Contrails (feat. Tegan Quin),” or the bittersweet story of a night shared by two young lovers tenderly relayed on “ Secret on our Lips” - every single piece leaves a mark.

It would be remiss of me however, to not mention the masterpiece of the masterpiece, title track “This Is Our Science (feat. Isiah and POS).” The songs starts off slow enough before breaking into an intense rap-rock interplay that lays out the poet’s philosophy.

“Touch fire, just to taste the truth / say ‘you’re gonna die young.’ So are you. / We chase the lightning, ‘cause we need to move/ This is our science, we’ve go nothing to prove.”

Astronautalis’ modern day take on the “ignorance is bliss’ philosophy comes clearly down on the side of obtaining knowledge despite the pain, and it comes in loud and clear. Clearly he’s tortured - as many of us are - with what this world is and our role in it. The difference is he’s willing to bare his soul and put it out there to the backing of phenomenal music.

“This Is Our Science” may only be 38 minutes in lengths, but I would set aside at least 76. You’re going to want to hear this more than once.

4.6/5

Recommended Tracks:

“This Is Our Science (feat. Isiah and POS)”
“Life the Curse”
“The River, The Woods”
“Contrails (feat. Tegan Quin)”
“Secret on our Lips”
“Dimitri Mendeleev”

Alt-J This Is All YoursBen Howard I Forget Where We Were
Anberlin LowbornRise Against The Black Market
The Black Keys Turn BlueManchester Orchestra Cope

February 25th 2013

Feedback, positive or negative, would be especially welcome on this review because it's my first attempt at a 5 review.

Thanks guys and gals.

FourthReich
February 25th 2013

great review for a deserving album

Calc
February 25th 2013

"Not because Astronautalis is conforming his music to a more generic and bland format like many bands do after not seeing commercial success early on do."

umm..what?

February 25th 2013

@Fourth: Thanks man, it definitely needed a review
@silent: I could see how it wouldn't be for some people, but it really resonates with me. Do you think the arguments made in the review help justify the rating?

February 25th 2013

@calc: the following sentence is necessary to understand that one

Calc
February 25th 2013

if you read it out loud I think you'd disagree with yourself.

Edit: This part in particular

"like many bands do after not seeing commercial success early on do."

Ah good catch
Thanks
Overall thoughts on the review?

FourthReich
February 25th 2013

I though it was great hence the pos. watch the run on sentences though, that would be my only critique

February 25th 2013

That's good feedback, something I struggle with haha
Thanks!

Cygnatti

Absolutely no way is this a 5

Digging: Jerry Lee Lewis - Live at the Star Club, Hamburg

GnarlyShillelagh
February 26th 2013

Good review, didn't realize this one didn't have one yet. Great album for sure.

Omaha
February 26th 2013

Sweet, sweet review. I love your writing style.

"And because he has such a wide pallet of musical accompaniment"
*palette =]

Digging: Thou - Heathen

February 27th 2013

Thanks Omaha, means a lot coming from you.

Minushuman24
March 1st 2013

Great review, album owns

March 2nd 2013

Thanks man. This music really needs some wider recognition

Funeralopolis
March 6th 2013

yea

Digging: Owen Pallett - In Conflict

MarkTheDead
March 10th 2013

This review is so past due, AOTY contender for me.

Pheromone
October 19th 2013

Fantastic album

Digging: Jeremy Enigk - Return of the Frog Queen

dmp3131
December 22nd 2013

Finally got around to listening to this a few times. Awesome album

Pheromone
January 6th 2014

Can't wait until this guy drops another album, been getting better with every release and it should be about that time soon.