Within the Ruins
Elite

by Andrew Gold CONTRIBUTOR (68 Reviews)
February 24th, 2013 | 129 replies

Release Date: 02/26/2013 | Tracklist

Review Summary: Elite shows a talented band playing music far beneath their capabilities with successful results.

It’s a rarity to find a modern metalcore band with genuine talent. Nowadays it seems like the only worthwhile metalcore records are from bands that have been in the game long enough to find their own niche in the genre, leaving all the generic heavy bands to fall by the wayside. Every now and then, however, comes a band with very obvious talent playing music that is way under their level. The musicianship is there, but they haven’t quite found their niche yet to separate them from the crowd; Within the Ruins is a perfect example of such a band.

Within the Ruins play a cross between metalcore and tech death with hints of prog influence thrown around here and there. A reasonable comparison of their sound would be an Exoplanet-era The Contortionist with a tad more technicality and a hell of a lot more breakdowns, and a bit of August Burns Red in there somewhere. Much like the case of many deathcore bands, the breakdowns are the greatest downfall of Within the Ruins. Sometimes they work, and when they do they make up arguably the best parts of the songs, such as the wonderfully placed chugging in ‘Solace.’ Unfortunately, most of the time they feel horseshoed in between technical parts to fill up space and come across as a result of flat out lazy song writing or general lack of inspiration.

As I mentioned before, Within the Ruins are one of those talented bands playing a genre of music far beneath their capabilities, yet even then their talent prominently shines through on Elite. Instrumental track ‘Ataxia II’ is a great representation of their technical prowess with flashy guitar melodies and fun breakdowns galore. The title track and ‘I, Blaspheme’ are other track picks, but not one track on Elite is noticeably weaker than the rest. It’s very consistent in its sound, perhaps even too consistent. ‘Ataxia II’ throws listeners a curve ball as an instrumental, but other than that it’s almost like hearing the same song over again with slight variances. This can be looked at as a good thing for people hoping for a standard proggy deathcore album, but if you’re expecting Elite to push genre boundaries and blow your expectations out of the water, you’ll be sorely disappointed.

If nothing else, Within the Ruins created an incredibly solid deathcore album with Elite. From beginning to end they keep it interesting through the use of background electronics or infectious guitar hooks, which is a pleasant contrast to many hardcore albums that lose their momentum after a few songs and continue blasting away for another hour. Elite is a fun listen from beginning to end, and clocking in at 40 minutes it’s a fairly compact one at that. If you’re looking for another Jane Doe or Calculating Infinity you definitely won’t find it here, but for fans of metalcore looking for a solid listen from beginning to end, Elite may prove to be worth your time.

Recommended Tracks

Weezer MaladroitSeptycal Gorge Scourge of the Formless Breed
Xerath IIIInanimate Existence A Never-Ending Cycle of Atonement
Within the Ruins PhenomenaSonic Syndicate Sonic Syndicate
3.3
John Henry Pitts, III (3)
Within the Ruins take a one step forward/two steps back mentality with their signature “paint-by-n...

Robert Garland CONTRIBUTOR (2.5)
Anything but......

8th review this month. Whew

Digging: Aspherium - The Fall of Therenia

Omaha
February 23rd 2013

whut they have a new album

J0ckstrapsFTW
February 23rd 2013

Need to listen to this posd.

February 23rd 2013

Im sure youd like it jock, seems to be right up your alley

Spec

I'll bite.

Vespiion
February 23rd 2013

Is this that one metalcore band that does nothing but wank?

Digging: Run the Jewels - Run the Jewels 2

February 23rd 2013

Wish these guys would simplify their music.

climactic

19441 Comments

A reasonable comparison of their sound would be an Exoplanet-era The Contortionist with a tad less technicality and a hell of a lot more breakdowns, and a bit of August Burns Red in there somewhere.

these guys are definitely more technical than the contoritionist

Are they? I havent listened to Exoplanet in a while. Ill fix that

DotEight
February 24th 2013

"these guys are definitely more technical than the contortionist"

For sure. I like both bands but WTR would destroy them.

MMX

mehhh

Durrzo
February 24th 2013

I want to like this band but this is so boring after one listen. They have mad skills but their songwriting skills are blah.

DotEight
February 24th 2013

I don't know man Weightless and Elite are pretty gnarly.

fromtheinside
February 24th 2013

is this streaming? i don't want this infecting my harddrive. however mildly curious

Digging: Devin Townsend Project - Z2

February 24th 2013

Most of the songs are on youtube i believe

DeadGuy
February 24th 2013

There's some epic parts and i really wanna like this band, but nothing has ever impressed me they released

wacknizzle
February 24th 2013

Good review pos'd, only listened this a bit so far but still not as good as Creatures.

Digging: This Gift Is A Curse - I, Gvilt Bearer

NocteDominum
February 24th 2013

Only your eighth, you put your points across pretty strongly, althoigh i completely disagree, ill have one up eventually.

wacknizzle
February 24th 2013

Yeah so far I'm doubting this will hit a 3.5 for me. If it does SWEET!

Ipod sorry im not a reviewing machine like you, 8 is a lot for me lol