Big Country
The Crossing

by John Cruz USER (88 Reviews)
February 23rd, 2013 | 41 replies | 1,878 views

Release Date: 1983 | Tracklist

Review Summary: Big Country is a band who's guitars sound like bagpipes. Like bagpipes, you say? Like bagpipes, indeed.

Big Country. What a band. Don't look now but lead singer / guitarist and songwriter Stuart Adamson committed suicide 'round the turn of the century, but it's ok. The band carries on today with former Alarm singer Mike Peters at the helm. Not the greatest fit as the band tours here and there, and you gotta admit losing a lead guitarist, singer, and songwriter in just one suicide is a lot to make up for. But Mike tries. He probably shouldn't.

Anywho this is an album from way back when I was a toddler. Me mum used to play it and I would dance around the living room in a little kilt and a tall, fuzzy hat. This album is entitled The Crossing and is largely regarded as one of the most accomplished debut albums in rock 'n roll history. It's lush, majestic, full bodied, and powerful.

If you're a guitar player this album may hold particular interest for you. Kicking off the album is In A Big Country and what sounds like bagpipes. But they are not its just a guitar. In A Big Country is a song about youthful hope and optimism even in the face of doubt. And the melody is uplifting, lyrics inspiring. Mostly however it is hook laden and at its core a joyous, overblown pop song. It get's the album off right, and the follow up track Inwards keeps it going. Its this song which makes a listeners ears perk up and go "hmm?" The guitar work is intricate, frantic, and melodious. The lyrics, desperate and bleak, but again with a ray of hope. It helps that rhythm section bassist Tony Butler and drummer Mark B. were mates and pros from the word go, having played on Pete Townshend's second solo album. But it also helps they were not hired guns for Big Country, rather a working rhythm section looking to be in a real band. So the passion is genuine and on record you can hear it. And so accomplished this album is.

However the heart of this album is in the songwriting and guitar work of the semi legendary Stuart Adamson. Adamson was a Lit teacher who liked to play guitar and liked to write songs. He put all three together and came up with some good stuff for The Crossing. The songs play out like little movies with themes of war, peace, love, and finding a place to rest and call home. All done in poetic fashion and open to interpretation, Adamson is able to weave tales and write music so entwined you cease to try to separate music from lyrics. You in fact don't want to. Like a lot of great music and songs it's to be taken whole, in one piece. And The Crossing is a big damn piece.

Thats my review, guys. Check out this album. It is one of the best debuts in popular music history, and if a guitar player or simply interested in the sounds they make, you will most likely find something here to delve into. It's 30 years old now, so like this reviewer, a bit dated. And because of technology the sound of the guitars may not be as unique. But for a brief moment in time when new wave ruled the day and synths were a must have among new, popular bands.....this was the push back. Not metal, punk, or new wave, exactly....it is the sound of earnest young men with their hearts on their sleeves saying "we don't need that." And they didn't. Here is the proof =]

Van Halen Fair WarningU2 No Line on the Horizon

BIG
COUNTRY

HSThomas
February 23rd 2013

JohnXDoesn't, all round fecetious bastard and decent reviewer. Also weird but interesting choice of album, don't see much country on here these days.

I remember you!

also I totally approve of kilts and fuzzy hats

February 23rd 2013

btw the review is full of errors and you should prob read it over. one of the more glaringly obvious ones is "who's" in the summary.

posting big country

Inwards and Wonderland

February 23rd 2013

review has errors but don't really care, i just can't believe someone actually reviewed this. nobody ever reviews new wave on this site

February 23rd 2013

thanks gyro. just an informal. will check the caps. i am known for poorish grammar so...

my emeritus status has been taken so meh. its all good. its just they hate my news

jesuslover46

what the hell

February 23rd 2013

yea I was wondering why there wasn't an emeritus tag, I mean wtf? kind of dumb that they'd strip you of that since what it means is having retired but still keeping a title as honour.

February 23rd 2013

anyway, the review convinced me to check this out and I'm liking it so far. cheers

February 23rd 2013

yeah this is album is really fantastic, i wish sput cared for new wave

February 23rd 2013

guitars on this are pretty mind blowing. they use an e-bow

big country - porrohman

Harvest Home 1983

February 23rd 2013

Love the guitars on this...

Winesburgohio
February 23rd 2013

Awesome, my favourite album when i was 10 :')

Digging: Harvey Milk - My Love Is Higher Than Your Assessment...

February 23rd 2013

the first track is a classic that everyone should hear

February 23rd 2013

The guitars in this are loved by me....

Winesburgohio
February 23rd 2013

Inwards and Porrohman are probz my favourites

also wtf how can you write a review of Big Country and not use the word 'e-bow' even once

February 23rd 2013

The guitar work on this album are heavily enjoyed by the owner of this account....

February 23rd 2013

^^ ha! i was going to write "and something called an e-bow wtf?" i forgot

in a big country '95 germany. sloppy but joyous. germans seem CRAZY