Popol Vuh
Hosianna Mantra

by Raul Stanciu STAFF
February 23rd, 2013 | 45 replies | 2,674 views

Release Date: 1972 | Tracklist

Review Summary: An overlooked masterpiece.

Before recording Hosianna Mantra, Popol Vuh founder Florian Fricke found religion (both Hinduism and Christianity), which led to a significant shift regarding the approach towards Popol Vuh's music. Gone were the synthesizers, the band opting for an acoustic approach, rich in piano melodies and echoed guitars, thus becoming the foundation for the songs found on Hosianna Mantra. There are some links to the first two records, Affenstunde and In Den Gärten Pharaos, and those being the use of the Indian percussion and tambura, used to a certain extent here.

While In Den Gärten Pharaos was a more abstract affair, Hosianna Mantra, like the title suggests, became a more subdued, trance inducing experience. From the gorgeous opening piano lines of "Ah!" to the weeping slides and soft vocals on "Kyrie" and even the lovely violin leads on "Abschied", the record does not show any signs of weakness. All the tracks are so well pieced together, designed to create a warm, eerie atmosphere and, in the end, to induce the listener into a mantra. No doubt, the title track is meant to be the centerpiece, building an endless, circular movement comprised of piano, delayed guitar, oboe and dreamy vocals. The free guitar licks successfully create the tantric atmosphere over the low piano rhythm, at one point beautifully intertwining with the vocals and oboe. Words are hard to express the sheer magnificent nature of "Hosianna Mantra".

Hosianna Mantra marked a significant shift both in structure and melody for Popol Vuh. The material that followed this masterpiece was more or less based on the blueprint created here. The spiritual nature of this record and the use of exotic instruments combined with classical ones placed Popol Vuh at the forefront of the New Age and contemporary World Music genres that would develop over the years.

In the end, Hosianna Mantra is an amazing, yet overlooked record which gives so much from its rather sparse structure, it's no wonder it influenced so many bands to come. It is a must listen for fans of New Age and World Music, but also for any avid music fan.

Kaiser Chiefs Education, Education, Education & WarMotorpsycho Behind the Sun
The Ultra Electric Mega Galactic The Ultra Electric Mega GalacticKamchatka The Search Goes On
Buckethead Monument ValleyTruckfighters Universe
4.2

February 23rd 2013

This is for SilentPotato's review game. The album is really strong.

Listen to the entire record here - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ns2nvj-VJqQ

Digging: Amplifier - Echo Street

MeatSalad
February 23rd 2013

Sweet review, need to check this out.

February 23rd 2013

Thanks. I wasn't aware of this band before potsy gave me the record to review, but this is so great. I kept listening to the record over and over again without realizing.

Jethro42

12030 Comments

I only know Nosferatu by them. Great 'meditative' album.
Review was well written. Listening to this album atm. Sounds great so far.

February 23rd 2013

thanks. i have yet to check out Nosferatu

also, what's with the ghost neg?

JamieTwort
February 23rd 2013

Awesome band/album. Great to see this finally has a review.

Very good review, pos'd.

Digging: Benoit Pioulard - Hymnal Remixes

Awesome band/album. Great to see this finally has a review.[2]

Potsy you sonofa

Digging: Shape of Broad Minds - Craft of the Lost Art

February 23rd 2013

this is not overlooked at all, good review.

February 23rd 2013

only 32 ratings and didnt even have a review. on this site for a classic like this that is def sadly overlooked.

but sup gian jammin some abandon all ships? tehehee

Havey
February 23rd 2013

It's overlooked on sput tho

Digging: Tim McGraw - Not a Moment Too Soon

but sup gian jammin some abandon all ships? tehehee

hahhahaha

splebmusic.com, amiriteee yea

February 23rd 2013

im jamming some gorement, u?

February 23rd 2013

oh just some univers zero. i know you dig wheres your RIO list?

Havey
February 23rd 2013

whats all this talk about abandon all ships

February 23rd 2013

were you not in that guilty pleasures list yesterday come on haves abandon all ships is gians fav band where you been!

February 23rd 2013

lmao, RIO list might post on rym first but tbh I've been busy these days jamming my attack attack + Galina Ustvolskaya & Rina Ketty playlist ya kno!

oltnabrick

Some1 finally reviewed this

Yeeee

Digging: Future - Honest

February 23rd 2013

glad ur neg got fixed, pos

I heard various sections off this and it was enjoyable but sometimes boring for me. I kept wishing for something more but givin a relaxing mood I would enjoy this in the evening while resting or getting ready for bed. Even for bath music.

Digging: Deniro Farrar - The Patriarch II

February 24th 2013

I have to say I listened to this once while stoned, I was hypnotized. I barely realized the record was over.

toxin.
February 24th 2013

Hindu is not a religion; Hindu is the word given to someone who follows Hinduism.