Eiffel 65
Europop

by tmagistrelli USER (18 Reviews)
February 22nd, 2013 | 42 replies

Release Date: 1999 | Tracklist

Review Summary: I'm Blue living in a bubble on the edge of a silicon world.... or something like that.

In mid 1998 there was not too much of a standard to electronic music yet established. Granted there was the synthesizer giddy 80's, and rising stars like Fatboy Slim. However electronic music had hardly progressed enough to arrive to the point where it was a reputable genre that could leave a lasting impact for years to come. There was no standard bearer for the Electronic Dance Music genre. At least in the United States. In Europe, the rising "Euro-dance" movement was taking over clubs, and European mainstream culture completely. At the forefront of this movement, was young group, Eiffel 65 out of Italy. Where their first record Europop was about to take the world by storm. And whether the world was ready for it or not, would set the standard bearer for electronic music for years to come. Europop, exactly as the title states, is a 90's European Pop record. As with most pop music, even today, it's something like an infection. When you get a song stuck in your head, it can be there for days. The lyrics are not a poetic masterpiece, but it's something that can be interpreted in many different ways, and even incorrectly. This album is exactly that, it can be a pure entertaining, catchy, and a fun listen.

With the International smash single "Blue (Ba Da Bee)" the group makes their mark on the genre forever with their most distinguishable track. The song has an overly repetitive synthesizer line and ridiculous lyrics (I'm Blue ba da bee da bu da, da ba dee da bu dah). But nonetheless it's one of those songs that can not be hated unless heard a thousand times. The song as a whole is good pop song. Similarly on track number eleven "Silicon World", which is the most catchy track on the record, the group continue to spin easy, catchy dance pop rhythms. The song has its fair share of over redundant beeps and bloops that sound like you are listening under water, and even with a fairly auto-tuned falsetto in the verses, (back when auto-tune was an art piece, not used to manipulate a voice to sell). The results still remain insanely catchy. Other catchy tracks such as "Move Your Body", "Another Race", and "The Edge" preserve this style and serve as very strong ear hooks while all not too powerful lyrically. But it's just pop music right?

This isn't just your mere pop record though, Eiffel 65 seek to try make people achieve self realization to the listener on some of these tracks. Some of these deep messages do work. On "Too Much Of Heaven" the group preaches of over indulgence on the dollar bill, and serves as a passable message. The song is also the first to use trance rhythms rather than pop inspired dance music and becomes an overall success as a result. Another song that works well with the overall trance rhythm theme is standout track "Living In A Bubble". The track addresses seclusion on a level that's easy to understand for the mainstream listener. The track also features a reggae-rap collaboration from Papa Winnie, that serves as a successful close to the track. Also on “Now Is Forever” is in a similar style, with a pitch corrected yodeling for the lyrics.

On the contrary though there are some huge missteps that are pretty much anticipated. "Your Clown" is a sonic abomination, with the darkest lyrics. This song as a whole throws a monkey wrench into the whole album, because it sounds so different compared to every other track. The song is a slow, out of love ballad, with over emphatic electronic drumming, and cheesy beats that simply do not add up. I can not fathom how this one got through to the final cut of this album. "My Console" probably has one of the best synthesizer lines on the entire record, but the lyrics are completely dreadful on a comedic level. The track serves as an ode to gamers, specifically play-station gamers, but is a lyrical bombshell. P-L-A-Y-S-T-A-T-I-O-N and repetitive chants of Omega Boosts, and Resident Evil games makes the track utterly laughable as a result.

Closing out the album is titular track "Europop" which is an ode to the current craze in Europe circa 1999. The song is a masterpiece rhythmically with pounding bass, and little chimes with heavily edited tone bells. The jam pretty much sums up all the tracks before it into one sonic whole. The bonus track “Hyperlink (Deep Down)” is extremely similar to “My Console” except not nearly as comedic. And serves as a bouncy close to the record.

Looking back on this record 14 years later, one could not believe it was meant to be taken seriously for its lyrical content. However for it's pioneering of pitch correction, auto-tune, and being the standard for electronic music. For what it is Europop is a completely enjoyable and extremely entertaining listen that should always looked back on as a standard bearer for Electronic Dance Music.

Breathe Carolina SavagesMy Chemical Romance May Death Never Stop You
Paramore ParamoreThe Red Jumpsuit Apparatus Et Tu, Brute?
My Chemical Romance Danger Days...Cash Cash The Beat Goes On - EP
2.8
good
The Katz brothers (2)

February 22nd 2013

first electronic music review, terminologies may be a little weird. feedback as usual is welcomed, and expected.

Poet
February 22nd 2013

Album is such a nostalgia trip mostly because it is the first album I ever bought for myself.

February 22nd 2013

blue was the theme song for my high school graduation, during a time where i was looking back at my past a lot hahahaha

i bought this back in 99 yea i did it all for the nookie f u

Digging: Land Of Kush - Against The Day

OneMoreRoland
February 22nd 2013

By 1998, there was actually a lot of electronic music out. The 90's actually produced some of the best (and most influential) electronic music mannnnnnn

hahahah i didn't get my copy until '05

February 22nd 2013

europop made the biggest influence in the u.s. for sure though, it went double platinum. which was HUGE for EDM.

OneMoreRoland
February 22nd 2013

I suppose you could argue that for EDM. I remember the biggest songs at my elementary school was I'm Blue, and fucking All Star by Smash Mouth at roughly the same damn time

February 22nd 2013

"blue was the theme song for my high school graduation"

Damn you're old

Digging: Friendzone - Collection 1

no, it was looking back. i just graduated in 2012 hahahah

February 22nd 2013

yea im gonna have to agree with onemoreroland and say electronic music was more than established by 1999. you obviously arent very well versed in the genre.

portishead, boards of canada, bjork, massive attack, aphex twin, coil, depeche mode, tricky, autechre, the prodigy, chemical brothers, orbital, underworld, skinny puppy, nine inch nails, gas, future sound of london, moby, hallucinogen, leftfield, amon tobin, the orb, daft punk, unkle, shpongle, squarepusher, bola, mouse on mars, morcheeba, goldie, etc come on dude

February 22nd 2013

it made it huge in the u.s. though. is what i'm saying

Your 2012 graduation song was this, what the fuck

February 22nd 2013

This album didn't make electronic music "huge"
Most people only know that one song

February 22nd 2013

"In mid 1998 there was not too much of a standard to electronic music yet established. Granted there was the synthesizer giddy 80's, and rising stars like Fatboy Slim. However electronic music had hardly progressed enough to arrive to the point where it was a reputable genre that could leave a lasting impact for years to come. There was no standard bearer for the Electronic Dance Music genre. At least in the United States. In Europe, the rising "Euro-dance" movement was taking over clubs, and European mainstream culture completely. At the forefront of this movement, was young group, Eiffel 65 out of Italy."

^ This paragraph is just wrong man.

AtomicWaste

2043 Comments

"Tub Thumping" was the big thing in Elementary School right before this came around.

We used to sing "knocked up" instead of "knocked down" because using antonyms is cool. No one knew what that phrase really meant.

Similarly, "Blue" got pasted over with "I'm blue, if I were green I would die."

Heavy nostalgia and shit up in here.

Digging: Damascus - When Last We Met

20158 Comments

i'm blue badabedabguy badabeebadaguy

Digging: Johann Sebastian Bach - Brandenburg Concerto No. 5 in D major, BWV 1050

and Imma beat off a guy

February 22nd 2013

fans remember the record, it's the most common $1 cd at the record exchange hahahahha

and actually my 2012 CLASS SONG was we are young

but i was personally blasting this to myself during that time with two of my best buds