brokeNCYDE
I'm Not A Fan, But The Kids Like It!

good

by MysteriousNewUser USER (6 Reviews)
February 20th, 2013 | 43 replies | 1,623 views

Review Summary: A lot better than people give it credit for.

Brokencyde are a band that has achieved mass attention in recent years for the simple fact that nearly everybody hates them. Their universal message of going to parties, doing drugs and getting laid has made for such a ridiculous batch of songs that nearly everybody turned their musical attentions directly away from their style of "Crunk-core", also popularized by fellow hated band Blood On The Dance Floor. The band has made a career around producing simplistic electronic beats with a variety of vocal styles communicating sexually explicit lyrics and have now released four albums, with the best of the bunch being I'm Not A Fan But The Kids Like It! which is not only listenable but also a good release.

The vocals on this album are actually far more diverse and enjoyable than one would expect from a band that has received such a *** storm of hate, with a mixture of screams, growls, clean singing (albeit auto-tuned) and a predominate rapping style. Every song on the album aside from the skits uses each of these vocal styles in various measures with the rapping and singing usually taking the fore front. The rapping itself is light years ahead of the competition in this "Crunk-core" style of music with a decent enough flow that carries the songs forward. The singing is as annoying and irritating as much auto-tuned singing is and therefore is the first thing that detracts anything from this album. The screaming, however, is very strong and is among the best things about the band despite their insistence upon using it over the top of one of the other styles of vocals usually.

One thing that is definitely a negative as has been noted by countless people before me is the lyrical content and how immature and ridiculous it is. Nearly every song features lyrics that deal with nothing but having sex and it sounds arrogant and annoying on every one of these songs. Whilst these songs are supposed to be a collection of tunes to be played at parties whilst people are out getting drunk and getting laid, the lyrics have no real place nor relevance in society and feel deliberately offensive and as though the band aimed at getting a reaction. Some songs, such as Scene Girls, take this even farther than they should have with lines like "oh my god, you thought i'd say dick but i won't say dick till you touch my dick" with the whole band shouting the word dick to make it as arrogant and in the listener's face as possible and it really does prove to grow very tedious very fast.

The songs themselves are fairly enjoyable however and are at least catchy and the members are relatively talented and know how to structure a song properly. Following a brief introduction track of a nuclear bomb dropping, Freax and Skeet Skeet are two great songs, as well as Booty Call and the aforementioned Scene Girls, which was one of the singles from the album and is a fan favorite. All of the songs are listenable and at least are catchy and have a place on your I-pod despite the irritating accents the band put on and the silly lyricism. This is a listenable album that maybe people should approach with a more open mind and be surprised by.

Suffocation Effigy of the ForgottenCryptopsy None So Live
Rorcal VilagvegeWhitechapel Whitechapel
Overkill Ironbound
1.2
awful

Scoot
February 20th 2013

this album is dead and buried on this site let's keep it that way

Digging: Acme - To Reduce the Choir to One Soloist

February 20th 2013

"This band are completely boring and not a great deal fun about them. They just make a wall of noise."
- MysteriousNewUser on Meshuggah, 2013

Jacquibim
February 20th 2013

Skele, shush or you'll get banned again.

Digging: Howls of Ebb - Vigils of the 3rd Eye

MichaelSnoxall

skele is such an idiot

insomniac15
February 20th 2013

Well liking and disliking a band is one thing, but you have to acknowledge the fact that for example Meshuggah are really good at what they're doing and know music. These dudes on the other hand, can't be serious about their work. Okay, the lyrics are bad, but the music does nothing to compensate. brokenCYDE are just plainly bad.

I am not necessarily a Meshuggah fan, but I admire their musicianship.
PS: I didn't neg your review.

Digging: Amplifier - Echo Street

breakingthefragile
February 20th 2013

Don't waste your time insomniac, this guy is an obvious troll.

ILJ
February 20th 2013

"A lot better than people give it credit for."

fish.

20199 Comments

what scoot said

Digging: YG - My Krazy Life

February 20th 2013

Review is well written, band is garbage. I suspect the neg came from the score you gave it not from the actual review.

insomniac15

Like DirtBagDan said.

February 20th 2013

Yeah. The band are absolute garbage, no redeeming features aside from maybe 1 or 2 catchy songs but the review is really rather good and he does back his points up well

February 20th 2013

You're a long term alt, shut up.

(This is directed at MysteriousNewUser)

February 20th 2013

I'm no alt, shithead. So why don't YOU shut the fuck up.

February 20th 2013

No genius, I was talking to MysteriousNewUser.

Wanker.

February 20th 2013

Fair enough NeoSpaz, i commented before you edited your comment. Apologies man.

It's fine.

DrGonzo1937
February 20th 2013

Skele: biggest troll on the internet.

I'm waiting for another BVB's review off him.

February 20th 2013

Oh so this is the Skele dude that KILL was on about.