The Acacia Strain
The Most Heard Unheard

by Andrew Gold CONTRIBUTOR (74 Reviews)
February 19th, 2013 | 41 replies

Review Summary: It's a deathcore release... that's about it.

As a whole, it’s safe to say deathcore is among the most uninteresting subgenres of metal. Like all genres of music there are good artists and bad artists, but bands like Emmure and Oceano who rely almost solely on breakdowns to get by give the entire genre a bad reputation. While The Acacia Strain isn’t part of this abominable group, they’re not particularly innovators either. It’s easy to dismiss their music as run-of-the-mill deathcore, which is a fairly accurate description for their sound, and their 2010 EP The Most Heard Unheard does little to help their cause.

Of the 10 tracks on The Most Heard Unheard, four are older live tracks, one is a demo, and one is a cover of Slayer’s ‘Seasons in the Abyss,’ the latter being the only one differentiating itself from the rest. Every other song is just so boring. They all sound terribly similar and bleed into one another making it difficult to tell when one ends and the other begins. On top of that, none deviate from the pattern of heavily distorted guitar riffs, monotonous vocals, and repetitive breakdown climaxes until they end. The live tracks are particularly annoying because Vincent Bennett yells nonsense like “Check this shit out” before every breakdown, and believe me there are plenty of breakdowns on here.

To put it simply, The Most Heard Unheard is nothing more than a safe deathcore release. None of the songs are remarkable in anyway nor are they offensive - they’re just… there. Admittedly there are a few cool breakdowns on the EP and some decent riffs scattered around, but in the context of the EP they do little to make it a worthwhile listen beginning to end. If you’re a die-hard The Acacia Strain you’ll probably enjoy this and if you hate deathcore it definitely won’t change your mind, but at the end of the day both fans and haters alike will agree that The Most Heard Unheard isn’t anything special.

Orbweaver Strange Transmissions from the NeuralnomiconAspherium The Fall of Therenia
dEMOTIONAL TarassisThomas Giles Modern Noise
Black Veil Brides Black Veil BridesDysphoria The Apogee
3.3

February 19th 2013

I'm pretty sure The Acacia Strain pioneered the breakdown fest of deathcore. I mean, breakdowns were around before them, sure, but nobody went above and beyond with the over-excessive use of breakdowns quite like TAS did. Wormwood had over 100 breakdowns in it.

February 19th 2013

Pee-Wee's mugshot, so much why

Digging: Friendzone - Collection 1

MO

19078 Comments

shit

"CHECK THIS SHIT OUT!!!"

*cue most generic breakdown ever*

Digging: Todd Terje - It's Album Time

Curse.
February 19th 2013

TAS didn't "pioneer" anything. they were very much a product of the scene they grew up around.
Simply playing more breakdowns doesn't make you a pioneer.

fromtheinside

19166 Comments

"While The Acacia Strain isn’t part of this abominable group"

oh yes they very well fucking are.

Digging: Techno Animal - The Brotherhood of the Bomb

February 19th 2013

There's a lot worse stuff out there

fromtheinside

19166 Comments

but you said,

"but bands like Emmure and Oceano who rely almost solely on breakdowns"

and by god this is the PIONEER BAND for that style.

February 19th 2013

Simply playing more breakdowns doesn't make you a pioneer.
^^^

Curse.

Well, and Bury Your Dead, only BYD was better at it

pretty sure he capsed that to be a joke

Pretty sure he's trolling

Play with yourself

TwoMonthsInTheCold
February 19th 2013

I like TAS, and I didn't even know this EP was released, I need to hear the first two tracks though. Regardless of whether you like them or not their live shows are insane.

February 19th 2013

yeh but the acacia strain did the over junz well in the dead walk and continent. cant say much about their most recent two other than their above average and have some fun parts

February 19th 2013

Not really, Fromtheinside is right. The Acacia Strain is definitely in the Emmure/Oceano group of breakdown-laden shitcore fests and you'd be a fool to deny that.

February 19th 2013

well no theyre miles ahead of emmure and oceano. And i distinctly remember you, mr snoxxy, defending continent and i think you had it at a 4 before you ratings fucked off

so either you've had a redonk paradigm shift in music taste or you got rid of your ratings to start again and try and seem elite

February 19th 2013

I never said I didn't like them. I said they were the exact same type of breakdown shitfest bands.

February 19th 2013

And my love for this band has gone down a lot over the past couple of years. When I first came to this site, I rated their album based on when I last heard them like three years ago. In more recent times I've given them listens and find them a lot more boring. I initially had Wormwood at a 4, then a 3.5, then a 3, then a 2.5, then I brought it down to a 2 before I had my ratings wipe. Continent is still a solid 3.5 for me, though. I did have that one at a 4.5. But yeah, TAS are one of those bands I listened to a lot a few years ago and grew out of them.

I still like them, but they're still a breakdown-infested shitcore band that plays in the same vein as Oceano and Emmure.

February 19th 2013

ahh i had a feeling that was the case. yeh tas are like that, but they did it in a way that was fun and enjoyable for a time

continent for me is a low 4, maybs 3.8 exactly
but mostly i appreciate the way they were able to make good records using the worst tendencies in the dxc genre