Blu and Exile
Below the Heavens

by Alex Robertson STAFF
February 18th, 2013 | 80 replies | 4,026 views

Release Date: 2007 | Tracklist

#98: Blu & Exile, Below the Heavens (2007)

I like to think that there’s no such thing as time wasted when you’re actively listening to music. Even the most tepid piece of art can teach you something about yourself, giving you another reference point around which to draw a comprehensive map of things that do or don’t inspire you. This isn’t to say that bad albums or movies or paintings don’t exist, but rather that experiencing these can only, in the end, expand your consciousness both outward and inward. Or at least I hope that’s how it works, because otherwise this whole “hundred albums, hundred reviews” project is something of a bust.

Either way, Blu & Exile’s Below the Heavens, the third album I’m reviewing for said project, is the first that has honestly given me just about nothing back after a few listens. This is perhaps an issue of time more than anything: not completely enamored of it like many others, I was nonetheless able to give an album like Blowout Comb (1994) some credit for its historical role as a radical slab of mid-’90s hip hop, whereas this album is barely turning six years old and doesn’t have any sort of cultural heft behind it. But where Digable Planets were able to synthesize an album of undeniable funk and flow from their politics, rapper Blu and his producer Exile are only able to synthesize a dishearteningly blank-stare approach to conscious hip-hop. The path Blu takes is not a dishonorable one--themes of growing up and finding yourself abound--but seems thoroughly emptied of any aesthetic or intellectual import. It is an album stuck in the limbo between the stereotypical sensibilities of the thinking man and the unrestrained weed smoker, lingering for fifteen dull tracks until it just sort of cancels itself out.

It pains me to say something like that, because Below the Heavens is really quite an earnest project by two deeply talented musicians. Blu’s style can be found elsewhere (Lupe Fiasco seems the most obvious referent), but he pulls it off well, his positive attitude nestling itself nicely into his tight flow--especially on “The World Is (Below the Heavens..),” which is almost sickeningly uplifting. He is, like his peers, inclined to get cheesy once in a while (“My people, it’s time to rise / Realize there’s a Heaven whether you think it’s inside or in the sky”), but that cheesiness is only an extension of just how serious he is. Exile is even better, a direct descendant of Dilla--especially in his quirky use of vocal samples--even if Jay Dee’s wackier instincts have been cleaned up. Almost every production here has a satisfyingly retro feel, each unquantized drum loop and each heavy piano chord hitting with gusto.

So I guess the attack I must wage against this album, well-intentioned though it may be, is that most nebulous of criticisms: it’s just sort of bland. I want to like Blu both as a rapper and as a person but he pretty much spends the album’s duration saying the same things over and over again. The album’s ubiquitous nostalgia thus starts to come off as a sort of defense mechanism, a way to circle back on old habits when the looming prospect of having something new to say sets in. That’s generally okay--I like a good throwback as much as anyone else--but Below the Heavens feels more than anything like sprinting for an hour and then ending up in the same place you were an hour ago. I almost want to give it bonus points for clearly being a labor of both love and hard work but the thing is just irreparably flaccid. That leaves me doubting myself: in my review of Blowout Comb, I railed against those who would choose the ultra-irony of most modern Internet-age hip-hop over the sincerity of the earlier stuff. But if this yawn of a debut album is our contemporary standard of the unfettered, genuine rap personality, I’m considering jumping ship.

Teebs E S T A R ATabu Ley Rochereau The Voice of Lightness: Congo Classics 1961-1977
Julia Holter Loud City SongNara Leao Dez Anos Depois
Thelonious Monk Thelonious Monk TrioZahava Seewald and Michael Grebil From My Mother's House
4.2
Lewis P. STAFF (3.5)
Decidedly down-to-earth hip-hop by a talented new up-and-comer....

only 3 into this project and these reviews are already starting to slip ohw ell

February 18th 2013

earlier today you pretty much said you hadn't listened to this
now you're 2.5ing it
dumbbbbb

Digging: Shabazz Palaces - Lese Majesty

February 18th 2013

im sorry i feel bad too just know that i will probabyl change my mind in five seconds

Eclecticist

crappy review

February 18th 2013

yeah the review is full of useless meandering

February 18th 2013

it's not bad, but a bit wordy. just try and condense these, otherwise there's no way you'll get thru 100

February 18th 2013

thats usually my plan but then ijust keep writing well see whath appens next time on wheel of fortune

kool keith next

February 18th 2013

excuse me, but I am a noob when it comes to rym. Which rym list is this based off of?

Digging: Nipsey Hussle - Crenshaw

oltnabrick
February 18th 2013

i liked the review thooo

i'm gonna go troll vote el-p albums to get them all in the top 100

February 18th 2013

i should probably take down the list in its entirety before the albums shift

some of the inclusions are bizarre, a few of them are like 30 people who think theyve found the next hip hop classic but if more peopel voted theyd be nowehere near

PorkchopExpress
February 18th 2013

As much as I like O.C., his inclusion on the list (more than once!) struck me as odd.

Also, you did it. The response to this should be interesting, at least.

February 18th 2013

yaeh exactly, i think if more people were to check out Jewelz it would drop off the list pretty quick lol

maybe not word life though

February 18th 2013

list was not as interesting as the inclusion of this album led me to believe, but it's pretty good

i am 150% sure your eventual review of enta da stage will be better than mine

word life is a classic

PorkchopExpress
February 18th 2013

Yeah, word life is just great.

Also, I did love the album he made with Apollo Brown last year though.

a piece of strange is like #45 on there pry sweet

February 18th 2013

ive never listened to cunninlynguists but i have a sinking feeling that i won't like them

I WILL REMOVE ALL BIASES PRIOR TO LSITENING THO

February 18th 2013

o.c. killed it on the luv ny album, so did a.g.