Omnium Gatherum
Beyond

by Jacob Royal STAFF
February 16th, 2013 | 77 replies | 12,626 views

Release Date: 02/22/2013 | Tracklist

Review Summary: Who knew they had it in them?

Melodic death metal group Omnium Gatherum has often been criticized for sounding too much like its predecessors. It’s undeniable the group takes large influence from the more top-tier artists in the genre, like Insomnium and Amon Amarth. But fans of Omnium Gatherum have always accepted this aspect of the group’s sound, perhaps going to other groups for that innate spark of originality. The great thing about Beyond, then, is that it sees a rejuvenation of sorts as the band’s most unequivocally unique album yet.

The most innovative aspect of Beyond is its emphasis on atmosphere. The songs presented embellish a chaotic but beautiful world, with dissonance underlined by melody. Vocalist Jukka Pelkonen is accustomed to providing his guttural vocals in a fairly mechanistic manner, and he continues to do so on the heavier tracks at hand here. But there are instances where he rises above the group’s songwriting habits to try his hand at something new, and these moments are some of the most thrilling. “Could Say” is a full-out ballad, fronted by Pelkonen’s emotional croons: sounds cheesy as hell, right? This makes it all the more surprising that the song is easily one of the best on Beyond. Long-time fans need not worry, though, for there are plenty of traditionally heavy tracks here. The more dismal moments here are more far-reaching than they were in the past, probably because Pelkonen understands the limitations of his voice much better than last time. He alternates between ferocious gutturals and soaring cleans, utilizing both his talents to bring a strong sense of aggression to the band’s updated palette. Because of this, Beyond may very well be Pelkonen’s most consistent performance yet.

The instrumentation here is top-notch, too. Beyond is infectious because of the way the musicians utilize both repetition and variation, and it’s clear the group’s songwriting abilities have grown by leaps and bounds because of this. Just when an initially monotonous track like “In the Rim” begins to breathe its last exciting breath, the gut-wrenching bridge enters the picture and keeps the track fresh. And while all the musicians perform well, the guitar and synth are utilized in the most exciting way. The two instruments create the hypnotic atmosphere at the forefront, with which the song’s backbone coexists. “Could Say” steadily works a smooth-as-silk guitar melody into its verse, marrying the serene synth texture. The band’s choice to embrace subtlety makes the song one of the group’s best, and other similar instances can be found in the majority of tracks on Beyond.

It’s exciting to see Omnium Gatherum carving its own niche in the melodic death metal realm, an act of which the group’s always been capable. If Beyond proves anything, though, it’s that the derivative acts in modern music really do have the potential to mature into something noteworthy.

SZA ZTycho Awake
CHON Woohoo!Cynic Kindly Bent to Free Us
Olafur Arnalds Another Happy DayIcarus the Owl Icarus the Owl
eyesofapocalypse (4)
This is hardly beyond their sound, but they do their sound exceedingly well....

Joxer The Mighty (4.5)
Featuring beautiful atmosphere and heavy yet soothing riffs, Omnium Gatherum keeps on evolving their...

February 16th 2013

Streaming here: http://www.inferno.fi/uutiset/inferno-tarjoaa-kuuntele-uusi-omnium-gatherum-albumi/

This album really blew my mind, to be honest.

Digging: Koan Sound - Dynasty

Good review, Jacob.
I haven't heard this one yet, but I assume its streaming, right?

February 16th 2013

Oh, we commented at the same time. Never mind.

February 16th 2013

Hehe. Yeah, it is! Do you like any other melodic death metal?

Tyrael

20416 Comments

'Who knew they had it in them?'

omfg

Digging: Lantlos - Melting Sun

What, Ty? Such a strong reaction o_O

Tyrael

20416 Comments

Considering how massive their previous effort was your summary seems a bit odd to me

@Omaha
I was actually listening to "The Dividing Line" by DT while I was reading. But I'm on "New Dynamic" from this album now, and it's sounding good so far.

Calc

hmmm.....sold.

vanfullofretards

bitch fuck cunt shit

Shuyin
February 16th 2013

the last album was amazing, still gotta give this one a listen tho

now would be a good time

Digging: All the Empires of the World - Sunscraper

Shuyin

aaaand it rules

solid 4

February 16th 2013

Ty, I didn't mean their other stuff was bad... Don't jump to conclusions, man!

I mean the summary in terms of how atmospheric this album is. I never expected them totaled this route.

FrozenVain
February 16th 2013

Your review is a lot better than mine and I agree with everything here. We have pretty much the same opinion when it comes to Beyond, I guess.
pos'd (if I could)

Forevermore
February 16th 2013

Never heard of these guys, but they definitely do album art right.

zaruyache

3.8/5 rules.

Digging: Paramnesia - Paramnesia

PortalofPerfection
February 16th 2013

I'm really trying to like this, I've always at least somewhat enjoyed their music before but...I just don't hear anything that different on this album. Still just sounds like same ol OG to me...don't get it.

Digging: Black Drop Effect - Injecting Pain

zaruyache
February 17th 2013

Same old. Why's that bad?

nice review

'Beyond is infectious because of the way the musicians utilize both repetition, and it’s clear the group’s songwriting abilities have grown by leaps and bounds because of this.'

sentence needs re-working

I tried to enjoy this album but it was just utterly boring for me.

Digging: Deniro Farrar - The Patriarch II

RiffOClock
February 17th 2013

Who knew they had it in them?

they dont