Iceage
You're Nothing

by fish CONTRIBUTOR (43 Reviews)
February 16th, 2013 | 188 replies | 4,666 views

Release Date: 02/19/2013 | Tracklist

Review Summary: Brief glimpses of brilliance are overshadowed by largely dull music

When it comes to music, subtlety is an art, especially when you play a feral brand of post-punk which often seems to act in the same vein as hardcore. Among the flurries of guitar distortion which provide the core of the music it’s the small fractures of melody in the screamed vocals, the drum trills and the guitar licks which should make it interesting. Beneath the dense, sweaty energy of the music, it’s these ideas which provide the final bite to the whole substance and vibe of the song. Getting the balance is difficult. At one end you risk making the music sound homogeneous, but at the other the music loses its depth. It certainly works on “Ecstasy”, where the vocals tumble forward in frenzy whilst a bass thunders underneath; then there's the pulsating chorus of ”Pressure, pressure, oh god no” above a gripping bass riff which brings the music to a tense, momentary standstill.

But then things turn sour. On subsequent songs the vocals become clumsy and the melodies within them become erratic and senseless. The instrumentals are mostly dull and lose the perfect equilibrium briefly teased before. Even with the occasional interesting ideas, the parts as wholes don’t come together to form anything atmospheric, absorbing or truly energetic. The guitar leads provide the most interesting aspects but rarely do anything which harmonises with the rest of the music or adds to its grit. Meanwhile, the vocals flutter about in a directionless daze (such as on “Morals”) and the guitar chords paddle along in the foreground as Iceage seem content to tread water and quickly dispose of the remainder of the album, which ends up sounding increasingly, and disappointingly, boring.

JMSN †Pllajë†Say Lou Lou Better In The Dark
Sky Ferreira Night Time, My TimeM.I.A. Matangi
The Weeknd Kiss LandNK Nothing To Be Gained Here
Adam Downer STAFF (3.9)
Come on Ian, baby. It doesn't have to be like this....

Funeral (3)
We don't need no revolution...

New Brigade

Stream: http://pitchfork.com/advance/27-youre-nothing/

Album's officially out on the 19th of February

I get the feeling this opinion won't be very popular

Digging: YG - My Krazy Life

Nope

February 16th 2013

well considering you rate different than everybody else yea. isnt a 2.5 amazing to you or are you still confused by your own "system"?

Digging: Shape of Broad Minds - Craft of the Lost Art

TheNexus100
February 16th 2013

i liked new brigade a lot

Digging: Thou - Heathen

1950 Comments

Didn't listen to new brigade but this album is just awesome and dirty from start to end

MalleusMaleficarum

lol yankeedudel

20198 Comments

yankeedudel posts a dumb comment what a surprise

ApplicationToHeaven
February 16th 2013

not quite as good as new brigade but great nonetheless. seeing them on the 28th cant wait

February 16th 2013

you need to figure out what exactly your values are mr fish

Aids

good review

yankee get bent

Digging: Trophy Scars - Holy Vacants

February 16th 2013

nah im curious what a 2.5 actually means to mr fish here. if a 1.5 is his average then a 2.5 must be pretty good no? thats equal to a 3.5-4 for us normies. why then is this review so negative and ends his first post with "derp this opinion wont be very popyeuhler"

he is confused. this reads like a regular 2.5 review. not a splendid, positive rating system, mr fish review.

20198 Comments

Do you even know what average means

Review reads like I liked bits but overall I didn't enjoy the album. Which is what a 2.5 is.

wabbit

obviously at least a 4

If i could i'd rate this a 3.8

February 16th 2013

Yea thats what a 2.5 is to most of us. So basically you're saying you dont rate any different than anybody else then? You really are very confused lol.

20198 Comments

I go by that link I showed you. Go read that and figure it out

3.76 average rating seriously

February 16th 2013

All your system means is you start from 1.5 and stretch your average albums and above out from there. Cutting out all the albums you dont like. Which means a 2.5 is a great album to you, but this doesnt read that way. Just sounds like a normal 2.5. Not hard to figure out that you're confused.

1950 Comments

"3.76 average rating seriously"

Yeah seriously, some people like this more than you do I'm affraid....

RiffOClock

2.5 lol

Digging: Venn Rain - Twin Beaks

RiffOClock
February 16th 2013

alternative summary: Whats the use in good ideas if you dont sound like slipknot?