Kyuss
...And the Circus Leaves Town

good

by GraniteOverworld USER (2 Reviews)
February 16th, 2013 | 8 replies | 607 views

Release Date: 1995 | Tracklist

Review Summary: Kyuss Streamlined

In the world of underground heavy metal, Kyuss was the definitive Stoner metal / Desert rock band, crafting two of the finest of the genre with "Blues for the Red Sun and Welcome to Sky Valley. "...And the Circus Leaves Town" was their 4th and final studio album, and one can kind of see why.

It was clear at this point that most of the songwriting had shifted considerably towards guitarist Josh Homme, as the co-writer, drummer and founder of the band, Brant Bjork, left after Welcome to Sky Valley. This changed the dynamics, as now the songs tended to gravitate more towards a straight-forward sound as opposed to the open, spacey jams of the previous albums. With this, Kyuss feels a bit gated on this album, a bit too tight. And while this works for songs like Hurrican or One Inch Man, it doesn't work for much of the rest of the album. Songs either build up to very little, or just feel like they need to stretch out a lot more. Most of the psychedelic influences are still there, but they're far more contained than before, and cause of this, the album never really soars, it just plugs along. Some songs have defiantly heavy grooves, and some of the songs work in their concise forms, but it just doesn't quite feel like Kyuss on this album. Even on the epic sized closer Spaceship Landing (their longest song even) doesn't really ebb and flow in different directions so much as just stomp along, heavy as the fattest man alive. It feels too segmental, too blocky in it's construction, and that's the real problem with the album; it simply doesn't flow organically like their previous albums.

But that doesn't make it a bad album. Kyuss are still the only band that really have this special sort of sound, and this album is still a very unique listen that is still very rewarding.

Xander_Christ (3.5)

YoYoMancuso
February 16th 2013

review feels a bit rushed, won't pos or neg. band rules.

Digging: The Wonder Years - The Greatest Generation

Chortles
February 16th 2013

album rules balls. hurricane is the shit

Digging: Chico Buarque - Construção

GraniteOverworld
February 16th 2013

Heh, I kept my review brief like the album did it's songs.

insomniac15
February 16th 2013

The album has some really cool tracks, but the production is too murky at times, you can't even hear the song right.

Digging: Chevelle - La Gargola

MeatSalad
February 16th 2013

yeah production on this is what bothers me the most

tempest--
February 16th 2013

"too blocky in it's construction"
Doesn't need an apostrophe, otherwise nice review. Maybe a bit short but a good read nonetheless.

breakingthefragile
February 16th 2013

I agree with the rating and this review 100%, have a pos. This is pretty much Kyuss condensed, and this album comes up short on way too many of the songs for me to be able to say I really enjoy it.

February 16th 2013

This is overshadowed by the band's previous two.

Digging: He Is Legend - I Am Hollywood