Caladan Brood
Echoes Of Battle

by DarkNoctus CONTRIBUTOR (39 Reviews)
February 15th, 2013 | 224 replies | 17,470 views

Release Date: 02/15/2013 | Tracklist

Review Summary: not simply a cheap summoning ripoff.

There's absolutely no doubt that taking such a wide, expansive concept as Steven Erikson's Malazan set of fantasy epics and rendering it in musical form is an incredibly ambitious undertaking. Consider also that this is Caladan Brood's first ever release, clocking in at 71 minutes and you have a band that obviously have their sight set on something massive - perhaps even too far for an inexperienced band to reach. Also consider that to call this project a band is like calling a pen knife a sword - Caladan Brood simply consisting of two musicians with a deep interest in fantasy novels and a slow, epic black metal coated in synths and slow moving, massive soundscapes. Sounding familiar yet? There's no doubt many of you are crying 'Summoning ripoff!' already, and that conclusion isn't without an element of truth.

Okay, more than just an element - they sound exactly like Summoning. The reverb-laiden drums resounding through misty mountains, the massive sounding tremolo-picking swells of distorted guitar, the early-90's reminiscent MIDI synths that play the majority of the melodies, the mix of choir-like vocals and black metal shrieks and rasps, the works. If you were to tell me this was a Summoning album I'd likely believe you. But consider for a moment that this is a feat in itself and maybe you'll be more inclined to be impressed by this - to this day I can confidently say this is the only worthy immitation of Summoning to date. Many bands have tried and failed - Elffor sounding far too empty and bland, Nazgul simply not capturing the same epic, expansive feel, Avathar sounding far too modern due to the synth tones. Caladan Brood is the only band to get it right in the two decades that Summoning have been making their highly influential and powerful brand of black metal, and considering that Summoning have only recently broke their 7 year silence it's not like this is an over-saturated genre of music. The more the merrier, especially if the quality of the music is this high.

In some ways it even arguably outdoes Summoning, especially in the way the songs are structured. Many of these songs tracks range between 10-15 minutes and considering the idea behind most music this slow and expansive is to lull you into a trance and atmosphere, Caldan Brood's style of songwriting isn't as repetitive as one might think. Where this is neither better nor worse than the repetitive, hypnotic nature of Summoning's music, it certainly makes it a more active listen instead of many of Summoning's songs that often only have a few core melodies to hold it afloat. This isn't 71 minutes of the same phrases repeated over and over, this is a set of constantly moving pieces that are very well put together. Some of the transitions need a bit of work, sounding a bit brash and forced but considering this is a debut album some slip ups are more than forgiveable.

The guitarwork is a much more involving affair, too - where Summoning often stick to very simple riffs buzzing away in the background, Caladan Brood let the guitar do more to make this feel like much more of a metal album. They occasionally utilize some great guitar solos, the solo towards the end of 'Wild Autumn Wind' a particular highlight, and thankfully not an over-used asset. The vocals are very well exected, the prominence of the clean male choir-like vocals are used to very good effect, sounding very similar to the clean vocal work on Gallowbraid's work but far more fitting and huge sounding. They're used commonly but not commonly enough to become an unwelcome gimmick. The screams sound every bit as intense as you'd expect, so much so that you may feel they're out of place initially but you soon come to feel like they're perfectly at home. The drums are an obvious drum machine job but they fit the aesthetic perfectly due to the usage of the very primitive MIDI-sounding synths, almost having a sense of nostalgia resounding through them - not to mention the album in general. The only real downfall for this album is that the ear for timeless, infectious melodies just isn't as strong as in this band as in Summoning. This isn't too problematic though, none of the melodies here are bad. For that matter, often they're still very good.

A third-way through the title track 'Echoes of Battle' having one of the strongest riffs of recent memory, a small midi break being totally interrupted by an absolutely massive tremolo-picked guitar riff that sounds absolutely fantastic. It's worth saying too that the control this band has not to over-use everything is impressive, and when you also consider the length of this album it's almost unreal that these two unknown musicians were able to craft something this well put together. The atmosphere is absolutely fantastic to boot - absolutely nothing sounds phoned in or slapped together as a desperate attempt to cash in on other band's successes.

So, a rip-off? Arguably, but far from a cheap one. In fact it's very easy to go as far as calling this the strongest epic black metal release in recent years. Caladan Brood have crafted an absolutely superb album with an equally as engrossing concept behind it. The atmosphere, pacing and sheer energy behind this album absolutely washes away any kind of reservations of being a simple copy band. It's a great, great journey of an album that goes at lengths to not tire out its welcome and does an admirable job at that and for many reasons it comes with a high recommendation considering the passing of albums like this is a pretty rare affair. Buy with confidence. :]

Alcest ShelterThe Howling Void Nightfall
God Is An Astronaut OriginsAstronoid Stargazer
Saor RootsDeafheaven Sunbather

February 14th 2013

my aoty so far, hope the year keeps on delivering! [:

out tomorrow but streaming now: http://caladanbrood.bandcamp.com/album/echoes-of-battle

Digging: Triptykon - Melana Chasmata

SgtPepper
February 14th 2013

Very Staff-worthy review, Noctus, nice work. I haven't heard Summoning or this, but I do like bands with that fantasy/Tolkien-
esque spin on their lyrics, so I'll check this out.

February 14th 2013

thanks, paperback! if you like fantasy themed lyrics then summoning is an absolute must, one of my favourite bands, the best black metal band that deal with fantasy themed stuff

every album since dol guldur is absolutely superb at least

SgtPepper
February 14th 2013

I just found 'Stronghold' so I'll give that a listen, I'll look for this too and see what I think. Anyway, good work as always.

stronghold is fantastic [:

February 14th 2013

I herd u talkin bout dis, Pos'd

def gotta hear, my earz r getting wet jus reading

Digging: Deniro Farrar - The Patriarch II

February 14th 2013

whoa playing track one right now and have been taken away to a far away land

this is really good so far noctus, really good find, I hope the rest holds up

and I luv u for reving this and bringing this to sputz attention

zaruyache
February 14th 2013

You're a contributor now? Congrats! I was wondering why nobody had pos'd this review yet. Going to check these guys out now.

Digging: Paramnesia - Paramnesia

February 14th 2013

'The more the merrier, especially if the quality of the music is this high.'

so hard

February 14th 2013

I fully agree with your comments in the second to last paragraph where you mention the title track's explosive burst a third of the way in

February 14th 2013

sorry so many comments but I finished the album and I really enjoyed it, a few parts were dull but overall solid and this would be a 3.5 based on first listen but after many listen I would either say higher or keep original thought. I'm a big summoning fan so I naturally really enjoyed this and your review descriptions were spot on

February 14th 2013

thanks but i've been a contrib since last summer, heh~ [:

and thanks captaindooright! no worries about all the comments, it's what the comment section is for. really excited to get this out there. :]

GiaNXGX
February 14th 2013

ugh Joe everybody thinks you just got promoted to contributor haha. Well, excellent review;I 'll give
these guys a listen as I honestly can't wait for Old Mornings Down!

February 14th 2013

yeah i don't actually know why, huh

Hyperion1001
February 15th 2013

i always wondered how long it would take before a summoning clone popped up

Digging: Steve Moore - Zero-Point Field

GiaNXGX
February 15th 2013

at least it is a good summoning clone. I'm on track 4 and it's fantastic.

zaruyache
February 15th 2013

ugh Joe everybody thinks you just got promoted to contributor haha.

I know I suck :-( I don't pay attention to things and the recent hirings/promotions confused me.

Passname
February 15th 2013

I think you should clarify that this sounds mostly like Oath Bound era Summoning. This sounds nothing like Minas Morgul or Dol Goldur. Not to mention those albums completely blow this one out of the water. This is a pretty nice album though.

Dodecahedron
February 15th 2013

Great review for a great album, this is definitely my AotY so far as well. Mine gets shipped out today as well!

Dodecahedron

--------

Have you heard L'Ordre du Temple? They're definitely no Summoning either by any means, but they're
probably the closest I've heard to Summoning-quality.