Japandroids
Celebration Rock

by Grayson Hale USER (30 Reviews)
February 13th, 2013 | 11 replies | 653 views

Review Summary: An album that has nonstop energy and a seemingly endless supply of party hats

You’re drunk at the bar, alone, slowly passing out. You’ve suddenly grown an extra pair of hands and you have two empty beer bottles instead of one. The people on the dance floor seem to have doubled and the strobe lights are nauseating. All you want to do is put your head down and go to sleep right where you are...

Japandroids are the proverbial friend that slaps you across the face and buys you another drink. They are that person of excess, the one who drinks too much, smokes too much, and sleeps with his best friend’s girlfriend. Japandroids know how to party... and they party a lot. And that’s ultimately what Celebration Rock is – an album that has nonstop energy and a seemingly endless supply of party hats. “The Nights of Wine and Roses” begins proceedings promisingly and the lyrics immediately reflect the duo’s attitude to life: “Long lit up tonight and still drinking / Don’t we have anything to live for? / Well of course we do / But till they come true / We’re drinking.”

“Fire’s Highway” is the first real highlight, with one of the catchiest choruses on the album and those outrageous “oh-oh-oh’s” that simply demand that your fist be raised high in the air. But like that friend that everyone has, “Evil’s Sway” comes along and you realise that the party isn’t going to stop anytime soon. If there’s one criticism that has plagued Japandroids it is this; every song follows the same pattern and has just as much fun as the song before it. First single “Younger Us” would appear on most records as the upbeat opener (provided any other record could actually replicate the sheer liveliness shown here) but here it sits just before penultimate track “The House That Heaven Built”, which also happens to be the best song on the album. For the first time on Celebration Rock you get the impression that maybe there’s just a hint of sadness behind all the revelry. Not that the formula really changes much but for once the lyrics don’t seem quite as straightforward as they did before. “It’s a lifeless life / With no fixed address to give / But you’re not mine to die for anymore / So I must live.”

Closing track “Continuous Thunder” slows things down just enough for you to catch your breath at the end of an exhausting ride. The album is thankfully short and doesn’t overstay its welcome which works in its favour; any longer and it would lose a lot of its effectiveness. Even so, you may find that the repetitive nature of the songs gets tiring before then end. But then again, if you’re the friend buying more drinks this is the soundtrack to the perfect night.

The Lost Poets InsubordiaGodhead The Shadow Realigned
Gumshen ProgtronicaMonks of Mellonwah Turn the People
Sound Strider Intrepid Travels EPMarla Mase Speak Deluxe

dannyboy89

11944 Comments

Nice review! What can you tell me about these guys?

SAPoodle
February 13th 2013

Nothing really that I didn't mention in the review because this is the only music of theirs I've heard so far. But if you're digging The Colour and the Shape you may very well like this, although this leans more towards the indie side of things.

YankeeDudel
February 13th 2013

album is definitely happy you cant say its not happy

Digging: William Tyler - Impossible Truth

FromDaHood
February 13th 2013

Second paragraph is an agreement nightmare. I get what you're saying but it's kind of weird.

SAPoodle
February 13th 2013

@FromDaHood, Thanks for the feedback, much appreciated. I figured I'd write a terrible review if I tried to simply describe the album because there are only so many ways you can say 'fun', 'happy', and 'upbeat'. So I wanted to try something a little different but I have a kinda weird sense of humour so maybe I'm the only one that found it amusing haha

Live, Love, Japandroids

xVerschtx
February 13th 2013

Good review, man. I think you pulled off the analogy quite well. I agree with your general sentiment towards the album too - it's not too deep, but it sure is a fun listen.

February 13th 2013

honestly though this is like the easiest album to review ever. Basically all you have to say is this: "it's not too deep, but it sure is a fun listen." but use a bunch of flowery language to make it longer, then give it whatever rating your dick desires, and use the above quote as a positive or negative, depending on your rating.

pos

xVerschtx
February 13th 2013

Haha, agreed on that. The reviewer did a good job on this one, though. I saw the band live last year, and was amazed at how much energy they could pack as a duo.

February 13th 2013

yeah don't get me wrong, it's a good review.

seeing these guys live for me is like a religious experience. I live in Vancouver so I get the chance quite often, but I'm never any less excited.

Really fun album.