Less Than Jake
Anthem

by Chelsea Brinda USER (10 Reviews)
March 5th, 2006 | 32 replies

Release Date: 2003 | Tracklist

Less Than Jake were formed in 1992, as a ska influenced band. The members of the band at the creation of this cd were Chris on guitar/vocals, Roger on bass/vocals, Buddy on trombone, JR on saxophone, and Vinnie on drums. This cd was released in í03 on Sire Records. Now, many people hate this cd because this is where they lost their ska-ness and gained the punk-poppy feel. But letís pretend that Iíve never heard a LTJ album except this one. I think that itís totally amazing! Really, who cares if they lost their ska-punk feeling? This album still kicks ass, whether you like pop/punk or not. I love this cd as much as any other LTJ album, which is a lot.

Vocals/Lyrics!
Chris and Roger are fantastic vocalists. Especially Roger, Ďcause he has a really sexy voice. But, uh, yeah, Iíll move on. Their dual vocals make the song sound perfect every time. These awesome dual vocals show in most of their songs. But they really show in the chorusí of Welcome To The New South, The Ghost of Me and You, The Science of Selling Yourself Short, Escape From The A-bomb House, Best Wishes To Your Black Lung, Sheís Gonna Break Soon, and Thatís Why They Call It A Union. There are also lots of songs with dual vocals in the verses, but I donít feel like listing again. In Look What Happened, in the last chorus, there is dual vocals but with Heather Tabor of the Teen Idols. So, I really donít need to say more about how amazing the vocals are. So, onto the lyrics. Vinnie is the lyricist, and he always does a great job whether they talk about drinking, getting drunk, whatever. They are always great, and they can sometimes be funny. On this CD, a lot of the songs talk about how your life can really suck whether its getting made fun of, losing your job, stress, or just being so depressed. It shows in Welcome To The New South, The Science of Selling Yourself Short, Short Fuse Burning, The Upwards War and Down Turned Cycle, Escape From The A-bomb House, Best Wishes To Your Black Lung, Sheís Gonna Break SoonÖactually, Iíll stop. As I go through listening to the lyrics, I realize that pretty much every song has lyrics about how life can ***ing suck. But, one of my favorite songs lyric-wise is The Brightest Bulb Has Burned Out/Screws Fall Out.
Quote:
Originally Posted by "The Brightest Bulb Has Burned Out"
You told me that your 20 years have gone by much too fast. And you've been hoping this year will be better than the last. You said you've been waging a war against the loneliest of nights. With the strongest drinks and longest lines. It's not that big of a surprise. That you're feeling more dead than alive. You're feeling more dead than alive.
So, if you just run out and get the CD, and not be so ***ing critical ďoh, this is so poppy," and *** like that, you will see what I mean. :)

Instruments and stuff like that. J
Firstly, let me once again show you the band line up:
Guitar/Vocals- Chris
Bass/Vocals- Roger
Drums/Lyrics- Vinnie
Trombone- Buddy
Saxophone- JR
In every cd, Roger is my main focus, since I play bass. Roger can be so crazy with his bass lines, and Iím just in awe every time I listen to him play. I really need to see him live. Really. Actually, on this cd, there isnít as much creativity, comparing it to their old CDs (Losing Streak, Pezcore, Hello Rockview). In The Science of Selling Yourself Short, thereís creativity, which is certainly a plus. Motown Never Sounded So Good is another plus, since its more of a ska-ish song. Plastic Cup Politics is one of my favorites instrument-wise. Itís fast, its fun, its creative, its perfect. Surrender (originally by Cheap Trick) has some nice fills during the verses, but thatís about it. Not too much bass creativity. Chris always does great on guitar, especially on the ska songs. I canít really criticize much on him, because there are no flaws, in my opinion. Vinnie, oh geez, Vinnie. Vinnie on drums is pretty much the leader of the band. Heís so fast, and awesome, and I love him. Heís fantastic, especially in those faster songs like Welcome To The New South, Short Fuse Burning, and Escape From The A-bomb House. He also does great transitions going from fast to slow, and fast again. Buddy and JR do a great job boning and saxophoning. EXCEPT, lots of the songs donít include Buddy and JR!! But in the songs that they do play in, they do a great job, as always. :thumb:

Overall Thoughts, Opinions, and Rating
The average LTJ fan would for sure give this cd a low rating. But on Sputnik, you canít do that. You really, really have to review in the eyes of any reviewer, whether theyíve heard of Less Than Jake or not. I think that this is a great cd, and it really has grown on me. Some things I donít like, like the lack of creativity on some of the songs, but if it had those, it would surely deserve a 5. So, in conclusion, I give this aÖ4 out of 5! Hoo-rah!

Songs that grab my attention
The Science Of Selling Yourself Short

good review chillbee

hate the band though

kolzig33189
March 5th 2006

good review. huge fan of ltj but not really this album. not cuz it lost the ska feel but becuase all the songs kind of blend together and instrumentation is not as creative. the best 2 songs are ghosts of me and you and surrender

labonza01

Hyper Music
March 5th 2006

People that can't properly class music. That's what. I've liked LTJ since I was 8, I'm now 15, and although I don't follow them as religiously anymore; I'm still rather partial to putting in my first ever album; Hello Rockview and letting myself unwind. Forever a great album. Anthem though, I agree, is nowhere near as monumental but I think it deserves a little more credit than it's often given. Good review by the way. Lol, sorry got side-tracked. Nostalgia...

Zebra
March 5th 2006

I strongly dislike this album. Less Than Jake practically dropped their whole horn section and they have turned into sort of a pop/punk outfit. This is extremely disappointing because their horn section used to be so sharp and precise. With the exception of 'The Science of Selling Yourself Short' and maybe one other track this album just doesn't do it for me.
I must admit that your review was solid. I'm not a big fan of your style, but you did a nice job.

Thanks all of you guys!

garbagetruck32
March 9th 2006

good review, i like it better wen it goes track by track though
i ve tried to get into ska cause it sounds fun and stuff but i guess its just not my thing

TheGreatFedora
April 9th 2006

I've grown to like this album quite a bit. One of the singers is pretty whiny though.

April 13th 2006

That's probably Roger.

Hawtness.

The Sludge
May 22nd 2006

[quote=labonza01]
good review, ive never heard this album, but i like the band.. and i have a question. their purevolume says that they are also metal along with ska and punk, what exactly makes them metal?[/quote]

Well, they had a few demos out, which was metal influenced, but other than that, not much.

August 5th 2006

No, purevolume categorizes bands incorrectly. It's retarded.

wartree
September 20th 2006

Is a good album , ok its not as ska as it can be, but who cares it is a lot better than some other songs/bands that are called the greatest in pop/punk

guitarplaya91
March 16th 2007

The cheap trick cover is very good. It may not be ska but it's catchy. Although I am a fan of ska this album is very good.

bdizfoshiz
March 21st 2007

i love this album. this is one of the few albums that I liked in Jr. High, and it has still stuck with me.

wakeupdead
March 21st 2007

I really dig Look What Happened

FriendofTheDevil70
June 30th 2007

This is a great album. Though I prefer many ska bands to LTJ, they've proven to me that they have quality material out there.

Goku
August 7th 2007

This album was ok at times, but most of the time it annoyed me, considering I'm a HUGE LTJ fan, I think thats saying something.

botb
November 7th 2007

i want this.

Spazz37
March 11th 2008

Don't know why so many people don't like this album...I think this is their best to date.

C'mon, who DOESN'T get fired up by Short Fuse Burning?

IsItLuck?
March 11th 2008

Me. album is a trainwreck of trash.