Light Bearer
Silver Tongue

by Jacob R. STAFF
February 11th, 2013 | 127 replies

Release Date: 02/08/2013 | Tracklist

Review Summary: Two fantastic bookends can't possibly make up for 40 minutes of filler.

Light Bearer has built up quite the loyal fanbase in the last few years, and I can’t wrap my head around it. After all, it seems the post-metal group prides itself on being inaccessible: 80-minute full-lengths add up to an overwhelming listen. I decided to give the band’s latest release a spin, just to see if Light Bearer still sprawls itself too thin. And just like Lapsus, the group’s debut, Silver Tongue putters out of fuel merely minutes after truly making an impact.

It’s imperative to note the structural similarities between Lapsus and Silver Tongue. For starters, both albums start off on the highest of notes. “Primum Movens” succeeded so thoroughly as Lapsus’ opener (the true opener, anyways) because it focused on melody to juxtapose with the dark riffs at hand. This is precisely what “Beautiful Is This Burden” accomplishes as Silver Tongue's opener, leaning on post-rock influences to add a more human element to the otherwise desolate soundscape. And this is where my frustration sets in, because I know this style would make Light Bearer a much more memorable unit. The moments of beauty exist merely as transitions, when they could be much more.

The band really does feel most comfortable in these beginning moments, when it’s scrambling to make a strong first impression. If second impressions exist, though, they certainly don't matter to Light Bearer, because Silver Tongue’s second track "Amalgam” is comprised of too much, well, everything. The opening track's aggression has been replaced by unbridled apathy, eleven entire minutes of it too. The overall drowsiness of the album continues until the concluding track, and it’s a damned shame “Silver Tongues” is placed at the album’s end. One would expect the track to continue in its predecessors’ direction, but the self-titled song is actually a shining moment for the group. With memorable melodies, a certifiable sense of direction and unique instrumentation, why is the song placed at the very end of this journey? How many listeners, exactly, will give the album even a single listen all the way through, when there are 40 minutes of what could easily be considered filler beforehand?

The great moments here exist merely as bookends, which is the single most concerning aspect of this release. When the album's been playing for awhile, and when we're used to it playing, it doesn't impress. but when the thought of it not being there occurs, we find ourselves enamored by it. So we convince ourselves it’s worthwhile, that we can just listen to the strongest tracks and disregard the rest, but the fact remains: nobody should have to sort through this much muck to get to something enjoyable. Light Bearer needs to acquaint itself with the concept of quality control, and fast.

The Contortionist LanguageMaybeshewill Fair Youth
Fallujah The Flesh PrevailsEvery Time I Die From Parts Unknown
Baths Ocean DeathClosure in Moscow Pink Lemonade
Alex Newton (4)
“And Light Bearer finally said, Let there be Silver Tongue. And we listened to Silver Tongue, and ...

February 11th 2013

I suppose I shouldn't be surprised this album is this much of a drag.

NeoSpaz
February 11th 2013

i'm not sure how i feel about this.

i got bored halfway through which is strange, because i usually have no problem with song length.

oh well nice review pos

NocteDominum
February 11th 2013

Concise and wholly correct review. Good job.

ThyCrossAwaits
February 11th 2013

Damn, I just started my first listen-through of this...

Thanks dudes!

Neo, it isn't strange because these songs drag on and on and on...

NeoSpaz
February 11th 2013

Yeah that's what I was thinking

ILJ
February 11th 2013

Good review but I find the middle a bit more interesting than you do apparently.

Lapsus is still way better though.

February 11th 2013

the middle just doesn't have any heart to it. the band has such a blast in the first and last song, but the rest feels like an obligation to the Lucifer story, if that makes sense

NocteDominum
February 11th 2013

I think you've got it spot on Jacob! From about 2 minutes on, this just gets flat.

SgtPepper
February 11th 2013

I just started the first song, I havent gotten past the classical intro yet, it's going on for 5 minutes but it sounds nice. The review was pretty well-written and informative, but I'll let you know what I think of the music when its done.

February 11th 2013

Ipod, the last song is great too, but getting to it is quite the chore.

Paperback, the first song really is beautiful. id probably give that one a 4.5 itself, and I wish the rest of the album followed suit.

still gotta leesin

Digging: Impetuous Ritual - Unholy Congregation of Hypocritical Ambivalence

Insurrection
February 11th 2013

Agreed 100% with this review. First song really is great though, Aggressor & Usurper is very good as well.

I tried to pos but I forgot they took that out for contribs heh lucky you

Digging: Aspherium - The Fall of Therenia

Metalstyles
February 11th 2013

Good review Jacob. I really liked Lapsus, so I'm definitely hoping to enjoy this more than you did. I'm not super thrilled about the song lengths either, though. There better be some sweet climaxes in them that you just so forgot to mention!

Wolfhorde
February 11th 2013

Idk if a 2.5 is the second coming of the Mexican.

DarkNoctus
February 11th 2013

lapsus is stronger than this for certain, good review

Haha, thanks guys. =]

Definitely check out the first and last songs if you haven't already - I do recommend those.

MichaelSnoxall
February 11th 2013

I haven't jammed this yet, but I'm guessing it'll be 3.5-4ish, just like Lapsus. These guys will never surpass the pure brilliance of Fall of Efrafa.

Tyrael

20893 Comments

Sigh

this rules but ye good review

Buzzkillr
February 11th 2013

how come people are under the impression that this band has the same members as FoE? Sure the band leader Alex is the same, so the bands are similar but cmon.