Blind Guardian
Tales from the Twilight World

by Sincal96 USER (2 Reviews)
February 10th, 2013 | 12 replies | 425 views

Release Date: 1990 | Tracklist

Review Summary: Blind Guardian's first true great album...

After Follow The Blind few could have foreseen or dare imagine the marked improvement in the quality of their next album, Tales From The Twilight World, especially when the same studio was used. Even the band complained, allowing a new studio to be built for the recording of their 1992 album. But I’ll get to that later…

The album starts with a fast-paced song called Traveller In Time (4 Stars), which has guitar-work which amazes, and vocals which simply never fail to disappoint. This 6-minute piece has a catchy chorus as always, and is followed by another catchy song, Welcome To Dying (4 Stars), which has a great guitar riff which is heard best in the outro of the song. Both of these seem to get the album off to a fantastic start.

Then things get a little weird, with an instrumental piece called Weird Dreams (3 Stars), before returning to normality with vengeance. The first power ballad by the band, Lord Of The Rings (5 Stars) is a classic with enough folk elements in it to make any Irishman blush with envy. It is a fan-favourite, and there are no other power ballad’s produced by Blind Guardian which seem to quite be able to match (though they have gotten close on a couple of occasions).

This masterpiece is followed by Goodbye My Friend (3 Stars), a more “speed metal”-orientated song which I don’t like too much. However, this is followed by another great song, Lost In The Twilight Hall (4 Stars), which, like Valhalla, is blessed with Kai Hansen’s guest vocals, which is up there with some of the band’s best songs.

Following this song is Tommyknockers (3 Stars), another average piece, and the brief song entitled Altair 4 (2 Stars), which does disappoint somewhat. However, like its predecessor, Tales From The Twilight World finishes on a high with the classic The Last Candle (4 Stars), which in the Coburg 2003 concert is treated somewhat similarly to Valhalla by the fans, with a two minute long encore singing of the outro lyrics.

The improvement in Tales From The Twilight World does not fully eradicate the few poor songs that were clearly filler material, but the excess of great tunes certainly make up for the few disappointments.

Venpts16 (5)
Blind Guardian’s third release is THE classic Speed Metal album; taking the strengths of Battalion...

OllieS (3.5)

Voivod
February 10th 2013

Decent review for a first.

Try to describe the album as a whole in your next review.

Digging: The 3rd and the Mortal - Painting On Glass

Thor
February 10th 2013

"Blind Guardian's first true great album..."

Bro, do you even Somewhere Far Beyond?

Digging: Cult Leader - Nothing For Us Here

February 10th 2013

even a night at the opera was true

Digging: Deniro Farrar - The Patriarch II

February 10th 2013

but I know you meant 'first true' but anyways ill pos welcome to da sizzle

dannyboy89
February 10th 2013

Nice first review. My advice would be to get a bit more into the general feel of the album. Usually, I prefer to mention only 3-4 of the actual songs. But that's just me.

Digging: The Mothers of Invention - One Size Fits All

ksoflas
February 10th 2013

Welcome man! Good first review but you don't really need this song by song analysis.Pos'd.

Dreamflight
February 10th 2013

The Last Candle is so good.

And I agree this is their first true great album.

FrozenVain
February 10th 2013

Blind Guardian rocks so damn hard. IFTOS is one of my favorite albums ever fo' sho'.
This is a very odd review though...The track analysis was really weird and it wasn't really that informative overall, but still pos cuz of BG love.

Shuyin
February 10th 2013

band is as true as fuck, prolly the best power metal band ever.

Digging: All the Empires of the World - Sunscraper

Acanthus
February 10th 2013

"Altair 4" is my favorite track on this honestly.

Digging: Ayria - Hearts for Bullets

jopower
February 11th 2013

This is underrated compared to the band's other albums.

Dreamflight
February 12th 2013

"Altair 4" is my favorite track on this honestly.

Now this is an opinion you don't see very often. :D