Darwin Deez
Songs For Imaginative People

by Dominic USER (7 Reviews)
February 7th, 2013 | 10 replies | 1,784 views

Release Date: 02/12/2013 | Tracklist

Review Summary: More technicality, more sophisticated...almost more fun.

I'm not going to lie...when i first heard the single "Free (The Editorial Me)," on youtube a few months ago, i was a bit worried. I fell instantly in love with Darwin Deez the moment i heard the first album. Everything about it was filled with a whimsical charm of carefree guitar playing, enjoyable soundscapes, and very dark lyrics that were made more effective with the happy music that lied behind them.
But what the new single brought to me was a much more chaotic, less carefree sound. it was loud, still definitely Darwin Deez, but didn't have that instant charm and appeal that the debut did. I had this fear that maybe Darwin, with all the out of nowhere success that he had, maybe got a bit full of himself and was trying to make much more refined and sophisticated music to show that he wasn't just some indie pop guy. And in a sense, I was right. the music that lies inside "Songs..." is much less carefree, and more challenging to listen to than the simple river that the first album was.
The album opens with "(800) Human" with the line

"ARE YOU SICK OF NOT EXISTING?"

My previous fears seemed to be realized immediately. "oh no" i thought. "He's trying way too hard." But as the song unfolds, you do get bits of that charm underneath the surprisingly more technical guitar work that Deez performs. The opening song is almost without a doubt the worst song on the album. The track "No Love" is one of the highlights. The peaceful keyboard sooths as the guitar drones with a very clever riff and droops down into your mind. This song actually probably would have fit perfectly into the debut without almost a second thought. I do have to mention just for a second that darwin deez actually shreds his 4 string, strangely tuned guitar like you never thought was possible. The few years in between releases has really paved way for practice on his instrument. On several occasions a solo pops up that surprises in its fun sound and crazy sweepage. The end of "Moonlit" holds one of the albums best solos and lasts until the end of the song which works very efficiently. "Redshift" holds one of the most surprising moments in the album with its chorus that explodes quite loudly and effectively. So yes..the songs are much more sophisticated than the debut, but as far as most music goes, it is still pretty simple. The most impressive, and my personal favorite song on the entire album is "All In The Wrist." its the quietest song on the album and just drifts and drifts with a catchy beat and beautiful soothing guitar work all the way through. By the end, i always feel sad to hear it go away

In the end, this album was a nice surprise. After fears and worries after how much i loved the debut, this album impresses and soothes in ways that the first album never did.

Pink Floyd The Piper at the Gates of DawnAs I Lay Dying Frail Words Collapse

terrible grammar dude

Digging: Broods - Evergreen

tommygun
February 7th 2013

I mean the review is aight but you prob should have proofread

rien333
February 8th 2013

Is this even remotely close to his debut? Would you even recommend this to someone who liked his fist album?

Nice review, btw.

aresx
February 8th 2013

Yes i would says so actually. I would definitely recommend it to anyone who liked the first album

sethdavid
February 15th 2013

I like this more than the first album for the sure, but I gotta say I love (800) Human... one of my favorites so far

TheRapReviewer
March 29th 2013

I was really pleased with this album. Far more creative than his first but you need to listen to it a few times to really like it.

WePartWays
September 21st 2013

I didn't even realize how good the guitar work on this record was until I saw him shredding all those solos live.

Thunderkat
May 7th 2014

hes a great guitarist, Moonlit is such a great song

deathschool
May 7th 2014

Dude is the king of music videos.

Digging: Dinosaur Jr. - Farm

Thunderkat
May 7th 2014

He does very interesting videos