Mother Mother
The Sticks

good

by Nathan Taft USER (18 Reviews)
February 7th, 2013 | 11 replies | 1,071 views

Review Summary: Why people shouldn't pretend to be something they're not.

Well Mother Mother did it.

Jumped the shark, I mean. Mother Mother’s fourth album, “The Sticks,” is dark and depressing in lyrical content, with musical backing desperately trying to fit in. By that I mean, it sounds forced. The instrumentation isn’t bad per se, but it certainly doesn’t feel natural for most of the album.

Mother Mother made their name with upbeat, light-hearted, indie rock, and while I applaud them for branching out and trying new ideas, this drastic change in style doesn’t work. Unsurprisingly, the strongest tracks on the album are the ones that mix their old, light-hearted sound with the new, jaded lyrics.

“Dread in My Heart,” “Infinitesimal,” and “Little Pistol” are tastes of what this album should have been - stripped-down indie rock that highlights issues in today’s society - and they are delicious morsels indeed.

The problem is that the majority of the album doesn’t adhere to that. The airy, indie sound we’ve come to expect is replaced with repressive guitar riffs and music devoid of most of the elements that made Mother Mother so good.

Right from the get-go, I knew Mother Mother was in trouble. Opening track, “Omen,” is a cliché, piano driven track complete with a ‘creepy’ child mimicking lead male vocalist Ryan Guldemond to a tee. This is followed by two sub-par tracks, “The Sticks” and “Let’s Fall In Love.” The first is simply boring and tedious, but the second is downright awful.

Besides being annoyingly repetitive and composed of one or two distorted riffs, “Let’s Fall In Love” harps on how everyone from “mommy” and “daddy” to “funny little monkeys at the zoo,” “does it.” I can see what they were going for, but they missed the mark by a long ways and ended up with quite possibly the worst track of their career.

Again, it's not all bad - the album does get a little better as it goes along - and the majority of the tracks aren’t terrible. Rather, with the exception of the positive and negative songs I mentioned above, most of the album is relatively harmless, with the biggest problem being that the musical accompaniment for most songs feels like it was deliberately made darker to match the lyrics.

In an attempt to call out society for lying about what the true human condition is, Mother Mother compromised its own principles and crafted an album untrue to itself and its sound.

And that’s the real tragedy.

2.8/5

Haim Days Are GoneSurfer Blood Pythons
Bruce Springsteen High HopesYoung the Giant Mind Over Matter
3.3
Irving Tan STAFF (2.5)
A face only a mother could love....

February 7th 2013

Nervous posting this next to Tan's phenomenal in depth breakdown of the album. I just wanted to put up something a little shorter in case readers didn't want to put the effort into reading his longer review (by the way you should, it's an incredible piece of writing).
Also, for those confused by the recommended albums, I listed albums that a radical change in style caused bands to put out sub-par albums.

Digging: Nickel Creek - A Dotted Line

Aids

per se*

decent review though, I feel more or less the same. it's weird that this had no ratings of 3.5-4 though, and then just a bunch of fanboys in the 4.5-5 range.

Digging: Trophy Scars - Holy Vacants

February 7th 2013

Ah, good catch. And I didn't notice that. Quite strange.

toxin.

"Again, its not"
it's*

Anyways, I dig the review. It's a bit informal for my tastes, and a lot more freely structured (better
flow if a tad unstructured, but it works), but you succinctly got your message across. A pos from me.

I've never heard of these guys, but perhaps I'll give one of their older albums a listen.

February 7th 2013

Good catch and thanks for the feedback
O My Heart is pretty good

February 7th 2013

Solid review. The prose and flow needs some work, but there's some solid points made here. The potential is certainly there - do keep it up eh, mate?

Digging: Pixies - Indie Cindy

Double post - sorry.

No worries.
And yeah this definitely isn't one of my stronger reviews. Oh well haha
I'd love your feedback on my other two reviews that I've written on this account so far if you get a chance.

February 7th 2013

Sure thing, though I'm kinda on my phone right now - perhaps drop me a message reminding me if I don't get to it right away? (browsing Sputnik just isn't as fun).

Haha I feel that
No rush

MetaMusketeer
June 18th 2013

Album rating: 3.5

Good review, but I found Infinitesimal just as repetitive, if not more repetitive than lets fall in love.
This is simply my opinion, but they WERE both pretty repetitive.