Bad Brains
Into The Future

by Rastapunk USER (28 Reviews)
February 6th, 2013 | 6 replies | 2,212 views

Review Summary: D.C. Punks are back and they still praise Jah!

Bad Brains started in 1977 and are said to be pioneers of the Hardcore Punk genre. They are known for their unique sound, blending Reggae and Punk together. The band saw a few changes, from vocals to guitars but got back with their most popular singer HR (since 1995). HR's voice is definitely one of the things that makes this band sound different, his vocals are elastic, like if he was singing on a Reggae song. Into The Future is their ninth studio release, and is more than a come back from Bad Brains.

The opener Into The Future sets the tone quite well. Punk Rock riffs and HR's vocals. There is nothing out of the ordinary in that song, all you expected Bad Brains to make is there. The original side of this album can be found in Popcorn, a Punk Rock song with a touch of Funk in the bridge and a fine solo. From there, the album continues on a Punk path with a fast paced We Belong Together and then takes a U-Turn to a Dub Reggae sound at the end of Youth Of Today. If you are a fan of Bad Brains, that's where you'll know they are definitely back. If you don't like this, then there is a very slim chance you will like the rest. If you're not such a fan of the Reggae sound, skip those songs, Bad Brains has more to offer: Hardcore Punk songs. Yes I, Suck Sess, Come Down, are the throwbacks in Bad Brains early years. For the Dub lovers, Jah Love and Maybe A Joyful Noise are gems.

What makes this album very interesting is the perfectly executed change of pace and rhythm instruments. One perfect example will be Youth Of Today where the song goes from a fast paced Punk guitar rhythm to a Dub Bass rhythm based song. The musicianship is definitely of great quality, solos are very good and the sound is rather very different from what you're used to hear.

This album is a good example of what Bad Brains are capable of doing: Original sounds with good musicianship and a good blending of many genres including Funk, Metal, Punk and Reggae. Usually it's one of the bands you like or hate, mainly because of their sound. Some will enjoy the more aggressive songs and others the laid-back Dub songs. If you are one of those people that enjoy all of these styles, this album is definitely worth checking out.

«I and I we know that, Can't fool us that's why right now we don't want a part of the system at all, and the youth dem don't know which direction to go so they build their own direction and now Jah come in their spirit at the right time cause he know they needed direction, that WE needed direction and he come now and the prophets are Bob Marley and Fred Locks[...]» Maybe A Joyful Noise