Pathology
Surgically Hacked

good

by Jack Boaden USER (29 Reviews)
February 6th, 2013 | 15 replies | 1,380 views

Release Date: 2006 | Tracklist

Review Summary: Brutal Death Metal + Technicality + Good song writing skills + Grindcore influences = Pathology.

Pathology have always been known to play extremely fast brutal death metal with more of an emphasis on technicality in the riffs, and their debut is no different. “Surgically Hacked” sees the band play on their grindcore influences, combined with all the conventions of brutal death metal with more technical riffs than their peers, all crammed inside songs which rarely hit the two-and-a-half minute mark.

Straight from opening track Impious Brain Donor it is clear that the three piece don’t fuck about. Throughout the song, and indeed throughout the album, drummer Dave Astor of Cattle Decapitation fame rarely drops below insanely fast blast beats and the brutality that is Pathology only let up once the song is over, and even then, it is only seconds before the next track follows. Pathology’s production is better than a majority of most other death metal releases, and as a result the album never sounds overwhelming – something which can plague other bands in the genre.

Though it is often difficult to pick out single songs on a release that barely passes the twenty minute mark, Demented Betrayal and Septic Shock often flow spectacularly into half time sections around the mid-point of the song, showing that Pathology can balance tempo changes flawlessly. As a result of the short running time though, Pathology’s debut seems to be over before it’s ever really begun, and the sheer seconds between the sudden stop of one song and the artillery attack of another gives the album little breathing room, resulting in many of the songs running together, showing little variation – something which isn’t helped by the extremely fast tempo that runs throughout. Had the songs been longer, and had the ideas been expanded on a little more, the album would have been better off because of it.

“Surgically Hacked” isn’t without its flaws, but overall it is a solid album that sees the band appeal to fans of both grind and death metal. It makes for an interesting listen, as any fan of the band can trace back their original sound and see how they have developed and expanded on the sound found on their later records.

The Hotelier Home, Like NoPlace Is ThereBrutality Will Prevail Suspension of Consciousness
Ingested Revered By No One, Feared By AllFOCUSEDxMINDS The Fact Remains
Drug Church Paul WalkerSister Sin Dance Of The Wicked
good

February 6th 2013

My favourite thing about this band is their artwork.

they must really suck then

February 6th 2013

Alright band, good review. I think you need to touch on the production a bit more, because that's a big part of brutal death. Also you should go into more detail when describing the riffs, because all I got was "they're technical".

Pos'd but.

Digging: Fallujah - The Flesh Prevails

February 6th 2013

Cheers man, I'll bear that in mind. I think I'm going to try and work my way through their discography, and the next album's pretty much like this but better

February 6th 2013

No worries man, I'm just a sucker for detail in these kinds of reviews. You're always going to have your work cut out describing how a brutal death band stands out from the pack.

Definitely. Got any recs for bands like Pathology? I'm new to death metal haha

February 6th 2013

You've got Katalepsy and Defeated Sanity covered in the recs, other than that there's Abominable
Putridity, Visceral Disgorge, Cerebral Bore, Posthumous Blasphemer, Ingested, Human Parasite,
Devourment, Flesh Consumed, Oral Fistfuck, Kraanium, Deeds of Flesh etc.

These bands are all largely similar to this, but it's not exactly the best way to initiate yourself
into the genre. I'm not sure how new to the genre you are but try out Death, Benighted, Obituary,
Gorguts, Morbid Angel, Disincarnate, Incantation, Hour of Penance and all those bands before diving
into this stuff. Have fun :D

demigod!

Aborted, General Surgery and Mortician would probably be up your alley

Digging: Black Flag - My War

FrozenVain
February 6th 2013

I don't even like their latest album a bit so I probably won't like this either. Dec review though, dude. It was somewhat wage as Jacq said, but still pos.

Madbutcher3
February 6th 2013

Not a very good album, their second is quite a bit better but still pretty average.

February 6th 2013

Thanks for the feedback and the recs. I'm reviewing their next record in a bit haha

GiaNXGX

they must really suck then

*roasted*

ThrashRulesYourChode
February 6th 2013

If I pump blood in the sunshine
And you wear a leather box with azaleas
And I pump more blood

Will you adore the river
The stream, the trickle
The tributary of my heart

If I'm pumping blood
Like a common state worker
If I waggle my ass like a dark prostitute
Would you think less of me

And my coagulating heart

Waggle my ass like a dark prostitute
Coagulating heart