My Chemical Romance
Conventional Weapons

by fish CONTRIBUTOR (43 Reviews)
February 5th, 2013 | 13 replies | 6,451 views

Release Date: 02/05/2013 | Tracklist

Review Summary: It's the simple things that let Conventional Weapons down

It’s hard to know what to think of Conventional Weapons. At face value, it’s a disappointment. It’s a shame that next to Danger Days…, an album chucked together apparently in response to something akin to a premature mid-life crisis (which led to this music being shelved in the first place), it stands as the less enjoyable album. Taking it as a direct follow-up to The Black Parade, an album completely jam-packed with some incredible alt-rock anthems, it’s even more of a step down. And it’s hard to defend the music for just being a selection of old demos; in fact, stylistically, Conventional Weapons stands head and shoulders above Danger Days… and possibly even the rest of My Chemical Romance’s discography. As far as production goes, Danger Days… was watered down, tame and overproduced, at some points barely meriting the band’s rock label. Even taking the melody from “Make Room!!!!”,which was recycled for “Na Na Na”, it’s blatant when comparing the two versions how much more pop-y and sugary the latter is. In contrast, Conventional Weapons is packed full of grit and energy; such as on “Boy Division”, which is rough and vigourous- swinging through guitar licks and crunching riffs like much of the album.

The problem really lies with the fact that despite all this, My Chemical Romance are a band based around hooks. What truly makes “Boy Division” stand out as a highlight on the album are the infectious melodies infused into its music. The Black Parade’s theatre, Danger Days…’ pop sentiments and Conventional Weapons’ punky attitude mean little if the music just isn’t catchy. Danger Days…, despite its concept and style (for which it receives most of its criticism) still contained a bunch of catchy songs full of big choruses. The most toned down song on Conventional Weapons, “The Light Behind Your Eyes”, is in fact one of the best, thanks to its well-delivered vocal melody and complementing instrumental layer. Many parts of the album, such as “Gun.” and “AMBULANCE”, even sound like they could have been tweaked to fit among the lesser parts of Danger Days… and “The World Is Ugly”, despite its interesting and textured verses, carries a disappointingly weak and pop-y chorus. Being written afterwards, Danger Days… proves that My Chemical Romance can still craft great hooks, so all that can be assumed is that the best were adapted for that album whilst Conventional Weapons gets stuck with the raw end of the deal. Instrumentally, Conventional Weapons displays interesting and promising ideas. All that’s left now is to hope that next time, they won’t just be tossed aside.

JMSN †Pllajë†Say Lou Lou Better In The Dark
Sky Ferreira Night Time, My TimeM.I.A. Matangi
The Weeknd Kiss LandNK Nothing To Be Gained Here
willchambers216 (5)
A suiting legacy of not only MCR, but of everything that ends....

Raul Stanciu STAFF (3.5)
"Rebellion is not a T-Shirt you sell"...

Zack (4)
Overall Conventional Weapons is an excellent release with some really tight songs to show how much t...

fish.

Quarter of the way to 100

Digging: Septicflesh - Communion

ChopSuey
February 5th 2013

MCR is great. Definitly going to get this

YoYoMancuso
February 5th 2013

it's better than anything they've done in a while. first track is among their best song. review is good, pos'd.

NeoSpaz
February 5th 2013

yay another review for this

good review

Sanders
February 5th 2013

Nice review pal, pos'd, not really checked anything these guys have done since the Black Parade

Doubt I will either

theacademy
February 5th 2013

ha kudos for going through with it

ill actually read it later instead of just negging it

RosaParks
February 5th 2013

take half of this and half of danger days and I bet you'll get a great album out of it

sithlord416
February 5th 2013

I need to pick this up. "Light Behind Your Eyes" is fantastic, and one of MCR's best songs so far. I'm still pissed they released Danger Days instead of this.

Digging: Bad Suns - Language and Perspective

insomniac15
February 6th 2013

Even though I don't agree the record is that bad, great concise review, pos.

Digging: Karma To Burn - Arch Stanton

fish.
February 7th 2013

Just realised I've used that opening sentence word for word (apart from the album name) in another
review

PoisonxCupcakes
February 21st 2013

Boy Divison is by far one of my fav MCR tracks and got me pretty excited for this but every other track just kind of didn't do it. Hard to believe MCR could make an album so dull lol then again they made danger days didn't they. Well still hoping there 5th piece will be solid

ridingchillwaves
February 21st 2013

I proudly proclaimed these guys were my favorite band in the 8th grade. Boy do things change.

DreamAgain
January 30th 2014

Surrender the night is such a great freaking song, god damn.

You can really tell the difference between good MCR and bad MCR on this album.. it's equally filled
with half. We got boy division, light behind your eyes, surrender the night.. then we got the other
shit.